Long road ahead

Options
My name is Sarah I'm 27 years old and it's not my first time on MFP. I had lost 25 lbs a few years but let myself go for a while and never truely hit my goal. I'm still 10 lbs down since my heaviest and have recently visited the doctor and did a blood test which showed that my fasting glucose was higher than it should be which puts me at risk for diabetes. So I've got at least 6 months until my next blood test and I'm hoping to see a positive change in those results by healthier eating and exercise. My question though (for those who are on a long journey or have had success long term). How do you do it? I have about 82.5 lbs to lose to reach a healthy weight for my height. I feel like the light at the end of the tunnel is so far away... I want to say I'm tired of quitting and this is the real time I'm gonna reach my goal but my track record says otherwise. Any words of wisdom, motivation, tips, insights are greatly appreciated!

Replies

• LovePlants17
    LovePlants17 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how you feel about trying out a whole food plantbased diet but that really helped me lose weight and improve my health! It would even help to just incorporating more plant-based foods/ meals into your diet if you don't do so already! Everyday is just another day close to your goals! We all believe in you!
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I look at maintaining my weight loss which will be forever for me. I will have to watch what I eat always. So having that in mind it helps me stay on track pretty much. Even though I have a goal weight 70 more lbs to go,I focus on exercise goals. Walking 5ks, hiking etc.

So basically today is just another day I watch what I eat to make sure it's within my calorie goal. Nothing will change when I get to maintainence. I eat the foods I like to eat so no "diet" so to speak.
  • smailhot28
    smailhot28 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • pili90
    pili90 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm also 27, trying MFP for the third time. To be honest it took me about three years to find a program that worked with my prediabetes, and a doctor who saw beyond the typical loseweighttogetbetter.A good suggestion would be to find a good, doctor that can help, but I understand how hard that can be, so maybe try to experiment in order to find what works for you. For me, it's a low carb intermittent fasting program.It was tailored to my needs, but so far I've never felt better...so maybe find what works for you, having the wrong program meant that I always ended up giving up. You can do this!
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Have you read the 8 week blood sugar diet by Michael Mosley - it's like his 5:2 Fast Diet book but is specifically for diabetics. I found the science and studies etc extremely fascinating.
  • sherry_ann_mt
    sherry_ann_mt Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Little changes add up...it takes time.....and every little choice adds up to big changes
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    pili90 wrote: »
    I'm also 27, trying MFP for the third time. To be honest it took me about three years to find a program that worked with my prediabetes, and a doctor who saw beyond the typical loseweighttogetbetter.A good suggestion would be to find a good, doctor that can help, but I understand how hard that can be, so maybe try to experiment in order to find what works for you. For me, it's a low carb intermittent fasting program.It was tailored to my needs, but so far I've never felt better...so maybe find what works for you, having the wrong program meant that I always ended up giving up. You can do this!

I agree. There are so many diets I've tried that just made me miserable, and it was because I didn't eat enough protein, and I over-consumed healthy carbs. For me, staying within my calorie budget is extremely hard if my macro balance isn't right. Protein puts me at ease with a lower calorie diet. If your fasting glucose is high, it probably means you too will happier on a lower carb diet.

Concentrating on getting a significant amount of protein in each meal, and then filling up with vegetables is a good strategy. After eating my protein and veggies, if I'm still hungry I add a 1/4 cup - 1/3 cup brown rice, whole grain, yam, or other low-glycemic carb. One or two small servings of fruit a day as well, and some healthy fats.

Eating like this makes me very satisfied and my insane cravings are gone. I've lost 40 pounds in 4 months, and I'm not feeling deprived or bored with my diet. I'm not looking forward to cheat days because I just don't want them. The correct diet has literally turned off my hunger monster.
  • smailhot28
    smailhot28 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    pili90 wrote: »

I agree. There are so many diets I've tried that just made me miserable, and it was because I didn't eat enough protein, and I over-consumed healthy carbs. For me, staying within my calorie budget is extremely hard if my macro balance isn't right. Protein puts me at ease with a lower calorie diet. If your fasting glucose is high, it probably means you too will happier on a lower carb diet.

Concentrating on getting a significant amount of protein in each meal, and then filling up with vegetables is a good strategy. After eating my protein and veggies, if I'm still hungry I add a 1/4 cup - 1/3 cup brown rice, whole grain, yam, or other low-glycemic carb. One or two small servings of fruit a day as well, and some healthy fats.

Eating like this makes me very satisfied and my insane cravings are gone. I've lost 40 pounds in 4 months, and I'm not feeling deprived or bored with my diet. I'm not looking forward to cheat days because I just don't want them. The correct diet has literally turned off my hunger monster.

Considering everything I feel much better now. I'm a week in yet I won't know for sure how things are going really until I get tested again in 6 months. As for the lose weight to get better, I totally understand what you're saying. There's a lot more to it than weight loss especially when something's off with the internal processes of your body . I mean i don't disagree that losing weight will help me in some way, but it definitely isn't going to solve the problem on it's own. My mother's family is native american and she has 9 sisters 3 brothers which more than half of them are type 2 diabetic and developed it later in life. I'd like to avoid it if I could i've seen the horribleness of what diabetes can do. I just feel desperate to avoid it if I can. If you don't mind me asking what kind of macros do you follow for a low carb diet?

TIA