salad dressings

Options

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    ated217 wrote: »
    I've been on a banana pepper kick lately, I'll just pour a little of the juice on my salad from the peppers. It is amazing. I used to be one that always went heavy on the dressing until I tried this, not anymore.

Oh yeah. These and pepperoncini are game changers in salad.
  • vmtama27
    vmtama27 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Poppyseed Lite dressing is absolutely delicious and it's ONLY 30calories a TBS!!!! I kids log it too. I can grill chicken and they use it as a dipping sauce!
  • tar2323
    tar2323 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm not the biggest fan of salad and can only eat with a dressing. My go to is now balsamic vinegar with fresh lemon juice, sriracha and a squirt of liquid sweetener (I like sweetish dressings).
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Salads frustrate me because I thought that was the only way to diet for a long time. I do love a good salad, but often the calories aren't worth it because I really only like creamy dressings coating all the salad goodies. Bolthouse dressings have helped because sometimes I do get a hankering for a good salad. For the most part, though, any day I can eat without having to resort to salad is a dieting win, IMO (unless you LOVE salad then eat salad!!).
  • Brithicks
    Brithicks Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Salsa, hot sauce, pickled veggie juice, and squeezed lemon are all super low to no calorie ways that I top my salads. If I have room for it, I'll add plain greek yogurt or cottage cheese or avocado for a more creamy type dressing in combination with any of the low/no calorie options.
  • Blondie_130
    Blondie_130 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've used hummus, thinned out with water, as a dressing for spinach salad with tomatoes and a cut-up veggie burger patty. So good.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Hot wing sauce. Very few calories, and wonderful flavor.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Sometimes no dressing. It's one of my pet peeves - how we took good old time vegetables and invented salad, then we took salad and started adding cheese and oil and so much other stuff, we can't find the veg in it.

A bit exaggerated I know, but I just wonder if we haven't long since lost the value of the vegetables.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    Sometimes no dressing. It's one of my pet peeves - how we took good old time vegetables and invented salad, then we took salad and started adding cheese and oil and so much other stuff, we can't find the veg in it.

A bit exaggerated I know, but I just wonder if we haven't long since lost the value of the vegetables.

I have no problem finding the "veggie" in my salad. Not everyone adds that much crap to it.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Thanks for both of your suggestions! What fruit would you blend up as dressing, something with a lot of juice like citrus?

I make about 80% of the dressings we use: vinaigrette, creamy and recently catalina-style. I've also done "green goddess" dressings (recipes online). We have substantial salads 5 of 7 days/week. A good number of the days I substitute fresh lemon juice (or occasionally lime or a mix) for the vinegar. I also change up on the vinegars: red wine, apple (clear and cloudy types - mostly clear for salads), white wine or champagne, herb/pepper-flavored. Generally, the lemon/lime juice is also accompanied by some zest to enhance the flavor. Since "mandarin orange slices" are a thing in some salads, I've also been thinking of using an orange juice/zest for the acid ... but am thinking this might be best with ginger, sesame and other asian-type flavors. Now that summer BBQ season is coming around again, there will be some experimenting going on.

I pre-mix vinaigrettes into the salad for serving; my family is evolving towards less dressing overall, so our oil consumption is lessening as well. Creamy and others I let the diner self-serve.

When using lemon, a broad range of herbs are great (dill, basil, ...).

The catalina-style dressing (many recipes online), is tomato-based.

Yogurt, sour cream/creme fraiche and buttermilk blends as a basis make a big range of unique ranch-type and other creamy dressings. I hardly ever use mayo as a dressing component.

Good luck.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I've used hummus, thinned out with water, as a dressing for spinach salad with tomatoes and a cut-up veggie burger patty. So good.

what a great idea.
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I like using coconut amino which has a lot less sodium that soy. I will use that, vinegars, lemon, small amount of olive oil. Sometimes stone ground dijon mustard. Mrs. Dash seasonings, fresh herbs like cilantro, basil, chives, or oregano. Nutritional yeast. You can make some pretty good dressings!
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Definitely vinegar, like others have mentioned. I usually use red wine vinegar, but a friend brought me a bottle of blueberry vinegar that is amazing on summer salads with berries. Here are the ratios I use, and this makes enough for two salads:
    - 2 TBS Olive Oil
    - 1 TBS Vinegar
    - 2 tsp Dijon mustard
    - 1 tsp honey
    - Lots of fresh ground black pepper
    - Pinch salt
    - If I am not taking them to work, I will add chopped garlic and shallot. I can't do that to my coworkers!
  • LovesDogsAndBooks
    LovesDogsAndBooks Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Some more great suggestions here, thanks all!
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I have never been fond of the smell of dressings, so I've never used them. I like taco salad, using the taco meat like you'd use croutons or dressing, just enough to flavor, plus a little shredded cheese. Today I am having a hard boiled egg finely sliced on top of the salad plus a bit of cheese for flavor, and protein. I also add salt to all my salads. I can even enjoy a plain vegan garden salad with just a little salt for flavor. Next time I have a baked chicken salad, I want to try some barbeque sauce mixed with a bit of water (to thin it down) for flavor.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    what I do with a really voluminous salad is I spray the thing with Kirkland Cooking OIl Spray (yes, the one you use to fry your eggs or cook your chicken lol) I find I can cover more area without using as much oil as if I was drizzling it from a measuring spoon and then I toss it BEFORE I add the balsamic glaze. I use a glaze because it's more flavorful and goes a lot farther than regular dressings. the spray oil trick makes it distribute pretty evenly and i don't have many nasty dry pieces (if any at all)
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Thicker or aged balsamic would be amazing on a salad. A tablespoon is around 10 calories. It's so sweet and rich, it'd be amazing with olive oil, I'd imagine.
  • inertiastrength
    Options
    brittyn3 wrote: »
    Thicker or aged balsamic would be amazing on a salad. A tablespoon is around 10 calories. It's so sweet and rich, it'd be amazing with olive oil, I'd imagine.

Yes! A little goes a long way

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options
    You can make your own yogurt-based dressings, too. Basic idea is plain yogurt + salt + seasonings of choice. What's good? Finely minced garlic; fresh ground pepper; herbs such as oregano, thyme, sage, and/or basil; alternatively to the green herbs, things like turmeric, cumin, or chili powder are also good. Fresh-grated parmesan is excellent in yogurt dressing, but one has to watch the calorie side (but note that there's some protein).

Thin with water or even balsamic vinegar as needed. I don't like to buy dressings, since I like variety, and it takes too long to go through a bottle of commercial dressing. Usually, home-made has fewer calories & better nutrition, too. Vinegar-based or yogurt-based are main choices, but thinned tahini or pureed veggies are also options for a dressing base.
  • inertiastrength
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    You can make your own yogurt-based dressings, too. Basic idea is plain yogurt + salt + seasonings of choice. What's good? Finely minced garlic; fresh ground pepper; herbs such as oregano, thyme, sage, and/or basil; alternatively to the green herbs, things like turmeric, cumin, or chili powder are also good. Fresh-grated parmesan is excellent in yogurt dressing, but one has to watch the calorie side (but note that there's some protein).

Thin with water or even balsamic vinegar as needed. I don't like to buy dressings, since I like variety, and it takes too long to go through a bottle of commercial dressing. Usually, home-made has fewer calories & better nutrition, too. Vinegar-based or yogurt-based are main choices, but thinned tahini or pureed veggies are also options for a dressing base.

How long do these keep for?