Hate the term skinny fat

Options

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    IDK. Skinny fat seems like an apt term. It applies to people who are a smaller or slender size but have excess body fat, probably around the waist, and not a lot of muscle. It's a term reflecting health more than appearance, IMO.

Seems to me that the objection is more for people who use the term incorrectly rather than the actual term, skinny fat.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    rybo wrote: »
    The term, when used properly is completely valid as pointed out a couple places above. Unfortunately in the health & fitness world many, many terms get used improperly or are individually defined so often, that they become meaningless(*cough*clean eating)
    Also why let one small subset of people (body builders) have such an impact on you?

When that one small subset of people think it is their business to shame others for their imperfections rather than encourage and praise for achievements reached it can become a problem. We are all here because we are striving for better health. Encouraging and teaching people to do a mixture of cardio and strength training to encourage fat loss without muscle mass loss is important for this overall health.

Reading through so many of these threads though, you can see that too many are fixated on this ideal. They feel guilty if they have what they consider a cheat meal, they feel embarrassed because they can't accept that their bodies aren't perfect which is totally different than being healthy. There are so many threads about recomp. Are they wanting to do with because of health as they are actually skinny fat, or how about we use the correct medical term rather than the body builders term, metabolically obese normal weight, or they they doing it because of this continual pressure put on us for perfection? Are they continually driving themselves to get fitter and stronger because they are never satisfied with their results?

Health is so much more than just our physical appearance.

Wait, what? I don't understand what you are getting at in your last paragraph. It reads as if you think wanting to recomp is a negative or unhealthy goal. And what's wrong with wanting to get fitter and stronger continually?

I don't consider this to be a bodybuilding site and have no memory of large numbers of the people who do happen to lift (whether specifically for bodybuilding or not) shaming others for their imperfections. If a person asks specific questions they are answered and I don't doubt that there is an *kitten* bodybuilder or two, just as there are *kitten* runners and yogis, but there's your post reads as if there a glut of this activity when there is not.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    The term describes people of healthy bmi and obese fat %.
    Why are people upset by a term for a specific condition?
    I am skinny fat now and the fact that I know what this means makes me NOT being upset by my body shape because I know that I can change my shape by working out a bit (and recomposing my body instead of losing more and more weight). Healthy fat % is important for overall well-being too, not just your bmi.

Because the term is overused rather than being used by correct medical terms. If I had a fat percentage higher than 30% (which is the maximum for an acceptable range for a female) with my current weight that is one thing. I'd still have health problems. However, because I still have a nice healthy supply of fat reserves around my butt, thighs and upper arms many 'gym junkies' would also relate that term to me.

Thinking about it, it is not the term that is the issue, it is the overuse of it to all that don't have that perfectly toned body. It is like we are inferior and unhealthy because we are not striving for a 6 pack and a low body fat %.

Someone had done a remarkable job with weightloss and posted his after photos on this site. He looked good and should have been proud of himself. Someone then had the audacity to mention the words 'skinny fat'. It got my blood boiling because this didn't apply to him in the slightest. He didn't have a perfectly toned body but he was definately fit and healthy and it was obvious that he was exercising while losing weight.

That's awful in the context of a success thread.

However I don't like the phrase Gym junkie either,

I agree. It has a very unhealthy and negative connotation, as the term is commonly used in context with illicit drug users/dealers involved in criminal activity. The phrase "gym junkie" paints people who exercise in a very unfavorable light and could be considered as shaming/ridiculing such people. At least the term "skinny fat" has a factual, objective medical basis and a proper contextual usage.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that there are other reasons for strength training than obtaining an "ideal physique", namely for the health of your bones and muscle.

I just spent an hour at the nursing home this afternoon - what a depressing place! Many people end up in a nursing home because they no longer have the strength (i.e. muscles) to get on and off the toilet or in and out of bed.

Let 84 yo Ruth Bader Ginsburg be an inspiration to us all: http://www.health.com/fitness/ruth-bader-ginsburg-workout

Of course there are other reasons besides looks. I come from a family where height loss from osteoporosis is unfortunately common. That's one of my motivations for strength training. But I can lift till the cows come home and still look skinny fat for reasons as stated above. And others strength train for health and functional fitness but don't want to take it to the level of a physique athlete. And also don't deserve the title "skinny fat".
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    The term describes people of healthy bmi and obese fat %.
    Why are people upset by a term for a specific condition?
    I am skinny fat now and the fact that I know what this means makes me NOT being upset by my body shape because I know that I can change my shape by working out a bit (and recomposing my body instead of losing more and more weight). Healthy fat % is important for overall well-being too, not just your bmi.

Because the term is overused rather than being used by correct medical terms. If I had a fat percentage higher than 30% (which is the maximum for an acceptable range for a female) with my current weight that is one thing. I'd still have health problems. However, because I still have a nice healthy supply of fat reserves around my butt, thighs and upper arms many 'gym junkies' would also relate that term to me.

Thinking about it, it is not the term that is the issue, it is the overuse of it to all that don't have that perfectly toned body. It is like we are inferior and unhealthy because we are not striving for a 6 pack and a low body fat %.

Someone had done a remarkable job with weightloss and posted his after photos on this site. He looked good and should have been proud of himself. Someone then had the audacity to mention the words 'skinny fat'. It got my blood boiling because this didn't apply to him in the slightest. He didn't have a perfectly toned body but he was definately fit and healthy and it was obvious that he was exercising while losing weight.

That's awful in the context of a success thread.

However I don't like the phrase Gym junkie either,

Sorry I should have termed it more appropriately as there is definately a negative connotation that I didn't think about when writing it. Going to the gym is a healthy part of wellbeing if it works for you. Nothing negative about that at all. I should have phrased it as those that spend exessive amounts of time working out at the expense of other important things.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

How have I shamed people who do cheat meals by saying they should not feel guilty about having a treat every now and then? I said that they should not feel guilty because they do this which I believe is the opposite of shaming.

There is nothing wrong with people having goals with their health and fitness and I apologise if it came off that way. There is nothing wrong with people wanting to recomp or bodybuild to better themselves and their health. This is actually something to admire and I hate that it came across as anything differently. All I have problems with is people thinking that they need to do these things to reach some sort of ideal and perfection rather than be content with being fit and healthy. I have problems with misused terminology which basically shames people who don’t fit into this certain mold.

The very fact that you are happy with what you have but want to improve is a really healthy attitude. You are not doing the improvements to find this happiness or because you feel embarrassed because of imperfections.
    kimny72 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    rybo wrote: »
    The term, when used properly is completely valid as pointed out a couple places above. Unfortunately in the health & fitness world many, many terms get used improperly or are individually defined so often, that they become meaningless(*cough*clean eating)
    Also why let one small subset of people (body builders) have such an impact on you?

When that one small subset of people think it is their business to shame others for their imperfections rather than encourage and praise for achievements reached it can become a problem. We are all here because we are striving for better health. Encouraging and teaching people to do a mixture of cardio and strength training to encourage fat loss without muscle mass loss is important for this overall health.

Reading through so many of these threads though, you can see that too many are fixated on this ideal. They feel guilty if they have what they consider a cheat meal, they feel embarrassed because they can't accept that their bodies aren't perfect which is totally different than being healthy. There are so many threads about recomp. Are they wanting to do with because of health as they are actually skinny fat, or how about we use the correct medical term rather than the body builders term, metabolically obese normal weight, or they they doing it because of this continual pressure put on us for perfection? Are they continually driving themselves to get fitter and stronger because they are never satisfied with their results?

Health is so much more than just our physical appearance.

Wait, what? I don't understand what you are getting at in your last paragraph. It reads as if you think wanting to recomp is a negative or unhealthy goal. And what's wrong with wanting to get fitter and stronger continually?

I don't consider this to be a bodybuilding site and have no memory of large numbers of the people who do happen to lift (whether specifically for bodybuilding or not) shaming others for their imperfections. If a person asks specific questions they are answered and I don't doubt that there is an *asparagus* bodybuilder or two, just as there are *asparagus* runners and yogis, but there's your post reads as if there a glut of this activity when there is not.

Because you have to reach a point where you need to be satisified with where you are at. There is nothing wrong with doing these things if they are being done for the right reasons, for better overall health and wellbeing. We can however push ourselves too far when our health begins to suffer. Too little body fat is also unhealthy. Fatigue of a body that has been pushed to its limits is unhealthy and puts you at greater risk of injury.

You are right that this body shaming does not happen much here but the fact that it did the other day is one time too many. I'd also say that this forum is much better and more supportive than others out there with a general acceptance that there is no one size fits all. My biggest concern is the guilt that people seem to feel about falling short of their goals and the terminology we use that increases that guilt. Cheat days and fat skinny are just two commonly used. No one should ever feel guilty about not being perfect.

To be fair though, you've managed to shame a lot of other people in order to make your point - bodybuilders, people who do cheat meals, people who are recomping.

I agree that skinny-fat Is overused as an insult for people deemed "not fit enough". But putting down other people's goals isn't so nice either. Striving to better yourself is an awesome goal in my book. It is totally possible to be happy with your body but still want to improve, or reach new fitness goals.

Personally, I hope I always have a fitness goal I'm striving for. Luckily I have a ways to go before anyone will be accusing me of trying to be too fit lol :blush:

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,609 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    NVM. Seems that a few months ago I already said what I was going to say!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I resurrected an old thread cause someone said skinny fat in my presence today and I had a rant in me. Sorry. Not sorry.

Thanks for that, it's been a good read, and I enjoyed everyone's contribution. Cheers.
  • SteamPug
    SteamPug Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Sometimes people just like to one up each other. It’s like seeing someone meet their weight goal triggers a kind of jealousy so you gotta find /something/ to shame that person about to repair your own ego. So you know, “who cares if they met their weight goal - they’re skinny fat and clearly aren’t working as hard as I am”