Protein side dishes

Options
nichell88
nichell88 Posts: 364 Member
Does anyone have any recipes or ideas for protein-rich side dishes to make with dinner?

Replies

• yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    There's a Food Network star that has this philosophy called "meat on the side" that you could look into! It focuses on making vegetables the main part of your meal and making meat based protein the side dish. She's got loads of recipes. I believe her name is Nikki Dinki?
  • nichell88
    Options
    There's a Food Network star that has this philosophy called "meat on the side" that you could look into! It focuses on making vegetables the main part of your meal and making meat based protein the side dish. She's got loads of recipes. I believe her name is Nikki Dinki?

My plan is to have a lean protein as my main dish, either chicken pork beef fish, etc. so I'm hoping to find a side dish that isn't super carb rich. I already do veggies but I find myself still hungry. I'm not really trying to do veggies as the main dish. But I will check her out
  • springmoonlight
    springmoonlight Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Asparagus is good too
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Warm up some white beans with a high quality Balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle on chives, salt & pepper. Deeee-lish!
  • nichell88
    Options
    Asparagus is good too

Is asparagus high in protein?
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I love sweet potatoes! I bake them, then put them in my food processor with some Splenda Brown Sugar and Isopure Unflavored Protein Powder. So yummy!
  • TDombovy23
    TDombovy23 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try Califlower Au Gratin. Its the cheee that made it high protein and it is pretty filling. Otherwise maybe a protein shake/smoothie for your drink at supper?
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    stuffed jalapeno peppers wrapped in bacon and stuffed mushrooms. brussels sprouts wrapped in bacon - basically wrap any veggie in bacon haha
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    nichell88 wrote: »

My plan is to have a lean protein as my main dish, either chicken pork beef fish, etc. so I'm hoping to find a side dish that isn't super carb rich. I already do veggies but I find myself still hungry. I'm not really trying to do veggies as the main dish. But I will check her out

So are you looking for high protein or low carb?

Cottage cheese is commonly served as a side dish where I'm from. Maybe deviled eggs. Or add a bit more fat to your veggies to make more filling, like a bit of olive oil, parmesan cheese, or butter.
  • nichell88
    Options
    JenHuedy wrote: »
    nichell88 wrote: »

So are you looking for high protein or low carb?

Cottage cheese is commonly served as a side dish where I'm from. Maybe deviled eggs. Or add a bit more fat to your veggies to make more filling, like a bit of olive oil, parmesan cheese, or butter.

Both
  • stljam
    stljam Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Can dessert by a side dish? Take 2.5 cups of fairlife skim milk and put it in a big mixing bowl. Add 3-4 scoops of Muscletech platinum creatine (this brand makes a difference because it blends so well). Add a scoop or a scoop and a half of isoflex chocolate whey protein isolate and mix it. Add one small packet of jello chocolate fudge instant sugar free, fat free pudding mix, blending it. Pour into containers, size as desired (we use 5 or 6 small glad containers) and chill. It will set and taste like chocolate pudding. Make it even more like a dessert by adding a spoonful of cool whip free. Post workout chocolate dessert.