Pedometers Anyone?

Options
140829.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary

Anyone else use a Pedometer?

I've only had mine since Jan/09. Just wondering if anyone else find it helpful with their weight loss/fitness goals. :happy:

Replies

• heal4444
    heal4444 Posts: 709
    Options
    140829.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary

Anyone else use a Pedometer?

I've only had mine since Jan/09. Just wondering if anyone else find it helpful with their weight loss/fitness goals. :happy:
  • Nonibug
    Nonibug Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I have one that I wear daily, but it is just a cheap $5 one that I picked up at Walmart so it isnt very accurate. However, Ive been using it since Sept. 08 and it works for me because for isntance when it reads 12,450...well I KNOW that I didnt REALLY take that many steps that day, but its a base for me to use for judment anyway until I can afford to get a more accurate one.:wink: I know by trial and error with it that the days it only reads about 8,000 steps I didnt do as well as say a day where it reads 14,000. Clear as mud?:laugh: I love mine though, dont ever skip a day wearing it:wink: I think it helps me subconsciously too, because I find myself walking the long way around things or parking at the back of the parking lot just so I can rack up more steps:happy: Hope you enjoy yours!:flowerforyou:
    ~Roni
  • melissa91971
    Options
    It hepled me to see what I was doing in my average day. They say 10,000 steps a day to be healthy.
    So when I found out I was doing 7,000 at work on average it helped me to realize I didn't have to work too hard to achieve a healthier me. I try to get in 3-5,000 on the treadmill at least 5 days a week and on the weekends I know I have to stay active.

They can be a big help.

~Mel
  • wildfire68
    Options
    Hi,
    I have a fitness program on my phone that tracks the number of steps I take a day and calulates the calories used, as long as the phone is on me.

I use it towards my exercise, The first week I used only the steps now I am adding some more exercises (exercise ball).

I have been doing this only 2 weeks, week one saw a 2 lb loss and some inches, this week there is no weight loss but I did loss some more inches....:flowerforyou:

good luck on your journey hope this helps out some.
  • ripper
    ripper Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I use a pedometer everyday. I find that I do more walking when I am at home as compared with out shopping. I usually do 10,000 or more at home and 5-8 thousand during my out in the world days.
    I know you are to do 10,000 steps a day and watching the pedometer keeps me walking more. My pedometer also has distance covered and calories lost. I find it really helpful. It just doesn't look great if you are dressed up. I don't wear it on Sunday only. I tried putting it under mu clothes but it didn't register properly so I have to wear it to a dress or pant band.
  • heal4444
    Options
    Thanks for your thoughts everyone. I too heard that 10000 is the daily ideal. My pedometer I got you can wear it in your pocket or purse, not just need to be clipped even upside down it works. I tend to wear mine in my pocket, sometimes in my purse.

It's like having a personal trainer I find for the 3 weeks I've been wearing it so it's good. I'm starting to set limits as to when I wear it so that I don't wear it from the moment I get up till I go to bed. I take off my pedometer at 11pm so I'm not too wired to keep looking what the number is. It has 7 day memory, cals, distance, aerobic steps. Just wish it could do heart rate too would be perfect.

I noticed I have walked more with it in the last 3 wks than I would have without it. So, that's good.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I tried everything from cheapo pedometers to expensive ones that were supposed to be able to differentiate between walking and running step that you had to enter all this specific information into etc-

None of them were accurate, they all seemed to measure motion and not actual steps. If I wore more than one at a time I'd get VASTLY different results.

I just gave up on them altogether.
  • heal4444
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that you've tried lots and didn't work. That must have been very frustrating. Hope you found another device to keep motivated though. Have you tried heart rate monitors?
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I tried everything from cheapo pedometers to expensive ones that were supposed to be able to differentiate between walking and running step that you had to enter all this specific information into etc-

None of them were accurate, they all seemed to measure motion and not actual steps. If I wore more than one at a time I'd get VASTLY different results.

I just gave up on them altogether.

I have three and all are sitting in the drawer.....never figured them out:noway: HRM no longer in the drawer though:wink: