Is 15/20mins a day enough?

Hi there, I currently use my rowing machine on interval setting for 15mins a day. Some days I will switch up and either do a random hiit workout or some weights (not the heavy lifting more of a full body workout with 5kg dumbbells) is this enough time per day or should I try to go longer ???

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Enough for what purpose?
  • cbl40
    cbl40 Posts: 281 Member
    It depends on what your goals are. How many calories are you burning? Do you plan to eat back those calories? Do you want to get stronger, or are you doing it to clear your mind and get moving? Figure out your goals and then decide. You can still lose weight without any exercise.
  • Sara3434
    Sara3434 Posts: 48 Member
    For just general health, moving more, weight loss, strength and every other reason why people excercise. If it's a silly question sorry
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    For general health, 30 minutes per day is the recommended minimum for physical activity. So, take that as you will.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2017
    All exercises take time to build endurance and stamina. So going 'all out' is not advisable. Do the exercises you enjoy doing and in the duration and intensity that is for your current fitness level
    (increase time, intensity and weights (for the strength training) over time)..

So to answer your question it is enough time and just build on that! Over time set specific goals as you get used to exercising as part of your daily/weekly health and weight loss plan.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited April 2017
    Sara3434 wrote: »
    For just general health, moving more, weight loss, strength and every other reason why people excercise. If it's a silly question sorry

Not everybody has those particular goals. Its not a silly question, just impossible to give you an answer without knowing more.

Health? To many factors

Moving more? Well it's in that direction, but without knowing how much you move...who knows.

Weight loss? Weight loss is accomplished by eating in a deficit. Are you losing weight?

Strength? If you never train, it will help slightly at first but as you body adapts the amount will have to increase. Not sure what strength you want though.
  • AimeesFitJourney
    AimeesFitJourney Posts: 9 Member
    I'm doing 30 mins treadmill 5 times a week

I started doing 20 mins 3 days a week then starting doing a bit longer and doing more days it's all about progression. Do it at your own pace :)
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Sara3434 wrote: »

For general health, the min recommendation is 30 mins per day cardio plus a couple of strength training routines per week, so no, it would not be considered enough if you are not otherwise active (e.g. walk daily, walking is an exercise too).
    Moving more, I do not know, it depends on how much you used to move? If e.g. you were unable to move at all for a long time, 20 mins per day is definitely an improvement and something to be proud of.
    For weight loss, no, that sort of exercise will not really make a difference, focus on changing what you eat, unless you plan to add hours of cardio per day.
    For strength, since you are not really following a strength oriented routine, no, not really.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    For just general health - unless you also have a decent amount of activity in your day to day routine then I wouldn't say 15 minutes is enough. Better than not doing it of course.

Moving more - 15 minutes isn't very ambitious. Better than not doing 15 minutes though and if you are doing it daily it does add up.

Weight loss - virtually no impact with such short duration.

Strength - depends where you start from but unless it's a very low start point don't expect much/any progress from doing minimal bits and pieces.

And every other reason why people exercise - enjoyment perhaps?

If it's a silly question sorry - a question with no context, not a silly question. There's such a range of people from super fit elite athletes training for competition to sedentary morbidly obese people just trying to turn their lives around. Without context people can't really give specific advice.
    Goals? Capabilities? Restrictions?