Survey for RUNNERS: Do you listen to music?

Options
13»

Replies

• Tayla08
    Tayla08 Posts: 94
    Options
    I'm 30, and newer to running....never ran when I was in HS or younger...hated it. I run outdoors unless the weather is bad (Iowa) and I normally do take the IPOD...seems to keep me entertained. :smile:
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I seriously don't think I could run without music. I just finished up C25K in June and music is *crucial* for my jogs.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm terrible at pacing so I use music to help me pace. I find a tune that fits in with the pace I want to keep and then page through until another one with a similar pace shows up. It also helps me not think about being tired, because I obsess about being tired if I start thinking about being tired. I'm always one earbud in even when I'm with someone. I also don't like to be unaware of my surroundings when I'm road running.
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I started running 1 1/2 years ago, age of 34. When I first started running I listened to music. But soon realized that when I finished my run I could never remember what songs I heard during my run. I tried a run without music and, never listened to music again.
  • gibbonm
    gibbonm Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    No
    I was a trail runner as a child.
    Now i road run for fitness, i love the quiet and ambient sounds around me,

On the treadmill though i do listen to music.
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I agree with what many others said about not running with music in the past---BUT I do think its because I didn't have an MP3 player or i-pod shuffle.... I had a big bulky discman. I didn't run track in high school, I just did road running. Once I got my first I-pod shuffle I started running outside with music (back in like 2006), and haven't looked back since. It doesn't bother me NOT to have music. When I'm struggling mentally I'll use the music to forget the pain. I don't think that its bad either way...I know my grandpa would comment to me and say that "I wasn't a real runner if I had to use music", but I don't buy it.

I don't stick both headphones in, because I enjoy chatting with other runners on the road, and I like to listen to the things around me. So, if you see me...I'm the weirdo with only 1 earphone in!!
  • RippedNShredded
    Options
    For me it depends on my mood. When i'm running with no music, i try and tune in to my surroundings, listen to cars, wind etc. When I need a little motivation I plug my ear buds and tune in to music that gets me going.
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I became a runner as an adult and I do usually listen to music when I run. I don't feel like it's a necessity for me, though. I can run without it. I ran my first 10K and my first marathon without music and did so out of choice not necessity.
  • jesienia
    jesienia Posts: 294
    Options
    I do listen to music while I run. I constantly have music playing no matter what I'm doing, so running is no different. And I started running 2 years ago, but this is the first year I've taken it seriously and do it almost everyday.
  • jessicamckay13
    Options
    Treadmill: yes, but only one earbud in. I can't stand not being able to hear around me, it totally freaks me out.

Outside: eh, depends on my mood. If I do, it's only one earbud and I take my 90 lbs dog with me for security :)

I didn't when I ran in high school, only when I got my ipod.
  • Beckabooflip
    Beckabooflip Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think that makes a lot of sense. I was never a runner as a child or teenager, in factI hated it. It wasn't until my late 20's I started running, and music for me is a MUST on a treadmill. If I am outdoors I can power through the first mile and a half, and then I'm fine. I love getting lost in the music and end up running an extra 2 miles!
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Music always seems to help, not in a distracting way, but in a rhythmic way. As someone who always had an unnatural gait, the constant time of the beats gives me something to gauge my own footsteps to.
  • stc74
    stc74 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    As a driver I would appreciate street runners to take the ear buds out. I almost got one that darted in front of my car a few days ago. I stick with my treadmill since dodging logging trucks on my road is hard on the ankles when you have to hop in deep ditches.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    No music for me. The couple times I tried running with music was with a walkman and actual cassette tapes....if that tells you anything about how long ago it was.

I ran for as long as I can remember (started track in 7th grade), although I wasn't a distance runner back then I'd still take the occasional 2-3 mile jog. Took a big gap after college (about 5-6 years of no running at all) before getting back to the occasional run. Now I have been running pretty solid the last 3-4 years.
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    Music pushed me to run harder so a deffo yes!
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Started running at 44, yep I listen to music, I don't have to I occasionally run without but I prefer to have music n I sing and dance as I run too! My neighbours love me especially when I have my psychobilly music playing, good job they don't know English coz some of the lyrics would make their hair curl ;)
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    For those that are worried about not hearing cars....is the music really up that loud? I can hear everything around me even with my headphones on. And the music is still nice and clear. I never understood that.
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I just have the one ear bud in but yep even with 2 I am completely aware of my surroundings, in fact I would like to block out more external noise sometimes but I cannot!!!!!