Fitbit Steps

Options
nic1356
nic1356 Posts: 17 Member
edited April 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Evening all. How accurate are Fitbit steps? I've done 13,500 steps today and it's given me a 965 calorie burn!! Is it really that much? Does anyone eat any of their Fitbit steps back? Thank you x

Replies

• misskittygirl
    misskittygirl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Good question! I am not so sure that I would believe that...following this thread. :) Good job on your steps!!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    There is not sufficient information here to determine whether that is right.
  • nic1356
    Options
    Good question! I am not so sure that I would believe that...following this thread. :) Good job on your steps!!

Aww thanks x
  • nic1356
    Options
    There is not sufficient information here to determine whether that is right.

What other info is required?
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I acquired a FitBit Blaze in February and since then I have been religiously logging my food intake in MFP and letting FitBit to calculate the amount of calories burned. Based on my diary (food+activity), MFP told me that by now I should probably be around 194 lbs (I started with 216 lbs). I weighted myself today and I am at 200 lbs, so there is definitely some variation, but in my case I will say that is somehow accurate. You can read this article I found online. Hope it helps...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/lifestyle/wellness/fitbit-and-jawbone-are-accurately-tracking-steps-but-miscounting-calories/2016/05/24/64ab67e6-20fd-11e6-8690-f14ca9de2972_story.html
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Your fitbit calories burned is for any activity and the calories you burn by just being alive.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    The vague consensus is that FitBit step counts and calorie counts are pretty high. You are right to treat them with skepticism and err on the side of caution.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I have found my calories burn on fitbit to be very accurate. I have a flex so there is no HR monitor or anything fancy to it. For workouts fitbit gives me about half of what MFP was giving me when I used to enter them here.