Observation I made help me with this

Options
Ok so I noticed on my old diet i buy groceries and walk home a mile every other day i do this all the time. Usually i shop until the basket gets too heavy which is usually $30 worth of food. Now i switched to hclf, and im noticing the basket weigh so much less and still $30 worth. So i was curious does the weight of the food we consume correlate to our body weight ? Is funny cause im losing tons of weight not eating all that meat and fat products just saying.

Replies

• caitlinbattaglia
    caitlinbattaglia Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You know I started to notice this myself. Ive lost 3 lbs in 2 weeks but with eating. I've cut out red meat entirely. Curious what your replacement foods are? My snacks went from ice cream to something I've already premeasured like crackers pretzels or veggies.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Nope.

A kilo of lettuce vs a kilo of red meat will both weigh a kilo.
    What makes the difference is the calorie density.
  • nefudaboss
    nefudaboss Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You know I started to notice this myself. Ive lost 3 lbs in 2 weeks but with eating. I've cut out red meat entirely. Curious what your replacement foods are? My snacks went from ice cream to something I've already premeasured like crackers pretzels or veggies.

I replaced my bad foods with mandarins, half avacado instead of eating the whole one, egg whites instead of eggs, i cut oil out and cook everything in water, and i only eat chicken breast and fish instead of wings, i occasionally eat fries but only baked. Air popcorn instead of microwave popcorn. Coconut oil in moderation instead of butter/margarine. Only water or red wine or champagne. And no bread, but i have been eating baked cheetos still losing weight. Veggie shakes everyday and oatmeal plus fiber supplement. Thats it i did cut out steak and fatty meat. 99% turkey is my favorite, lobster trails, and shrimp
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    nefudaboss wrote: »

I replaced my bad foods with mandarins, half avacado instead of eating the whole one, egg whites instead of eggs, i cut oil out and cook everything in water, and i only eat chicken breast and fish instead of wings, i occasionally eat fries but only baked. Air popcorn instead of microwave popcorn. Coconut oil in moderation instead of butter/margarine. Only water or red wine or champagne. And no bread, but i have been eating baked cheetos still losing weight. Veggie shakes everyday and oatmeal plus fiber supplement. Thats it i did cut out steak and fatty meat. 99% turkey is my favorite, lobster trails, and shrimp

None of those substitutions are needed to lose weight and there is no such thing as "bad foods". Fat is also not the enemy. A certain amount of dietary fat is actually needed to absorb certain vitamins.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    There is some truth to that, but only when we are comparing similar foods.
  • counting_kilojoules
    counting_kilojoules Posts: 170 Member
    Options

Food is pretty morally neutral actually. That said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with egg yolks (it's where most of the nutrients are) and coconut oil is really high in saturated fat. (Higher than butter.) Which is not to say that you shouldn't eat egg whites and coconut oil if you like them but depending on your goals (and taste buds) there may be better choices.
  • nefudaboss
    nefudaboss Posts: 69 Member
    Options

Food is pretty morally neutral actually. That said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with egg yolks (it's where most of the nutrients are) and coconut oil is really high in saturated fat. (Higher than butter.) Which is not to say that you shouldn't eat egg whites and coconut oil if you like them but depending on your goals (and taste buds) there may be better choices.

Thanks i have been cutting back on my fat intake i have to track it better
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

Do you need to cut back?

Are you getting at least 0.4g/lb of fats?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

Do you need to cut back?

I'm curious where this number is coming from. Based on what i've seen adequate intake lies around 0.3g/lb.

Anyway OP, to answer your question... only calorie *density* matter. But it's important to obtain adequate carbs, proteins, AND fats. Trying to significantly limit any macronutrient isn't recommended for long-term maintenance and satiety.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure that $30 worth of donuts would cause me to gain weight but they wouldn't weigh very much. I could carry those home fairly easily. I can get 2 donuts for a $1 so that would be 60 donuts at around 275 calories (depending on the type of donut) each...total of 16,500 calories over 2 days...Yep...I would gain weight.

I walk to the store also and I usually spend anywhere from $50 to $100 at a time. The weight depends on what I buy and not the calorie content. The day that my rolling cart is the heaviest is when I buy a lot of vegetables. They always account for most of the weight. They are also the least calorie dense.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

Do you need to cut back?

I'm curious where this number is coming from. Based on what i've seen adequate intake lies around 0.3g/lb.

Anyway OP, to answer your question... only calorie *density* matter. But it's important to obtain adequate carbs, proteins, AND fats. Trying to significantly limit any macronutrient isn't recommended for long-term maintenance and satiety.

0.4g/lb of LBM which is generally considered as being equivalent to 0.3g/lb of total body weight.

Not sure where the origninal science is from but Lyle McDonald uses this figure in lots of his literature.