Workout ideas for a SAHM mom?

Options

Replies

• MrsSeager
    MrsSeager Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have a 5 yr old and 6 mo old and literally have no way to get away to a gym or bike or swim or do any of the things I use to. I have 30 lbs of baby weight to lose and am getting sick of my current exercise dvd. Any exercise equipment or workout dvds you would recommend? I have been considering a stepper with bands...but idk.

• MrsSeager
    MrsSeager Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have a one year old, four year old, work full time and am in college full time (in addition to running a household!) So I completely understand not having time. I purchased a magnetic row machine on Amazon for a couple hundred dollars (Sunny Health) and it's been awesome! 8 different resistance levels, and it glides well and is quiet! It folds up (and locks so it cannot be pulled down) so it fits nicely in small spaces. You can get a nice workout in a short amount of time
  • fuzzypinktroll1
    fuzzypinktroll1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Im a dvd workout addict and a sahm myself. I have yet to find anything that beats insanity. Results come fast and you stay sweating until the end. If you want something more intermediate try jillian micheals. Her videos range in intensity and she has something for everyone! Good luck!!
  • carlypi314
    carlypi314 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I love beachbody ondemand! I've had great results and love all the options since I get bored easily. Plus they now have their recipe show for meal ideas because I definitely get sick of eating the same things all the time.
  • Pathman1
    Pathman1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I know my local library has several of the more common DVD's that you can check out. I'd recommend going that way and finding a few you like and then buying them.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Look into Kettlebells - lots of workouts and they burn a ton of calories
  • shawna276
    shawna276 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Pinterest has a ton of great at home excersizes. Between watching what you eat / drink and cardio .
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Jump rope.
    It is practically free and you can do it almost anywhere.

A quality beaded jump rope is great but a simple WalMart one (weighted with swivels in the handles) will be fine.

Once you get the hang of simple jumping you can learn to skip rope like a boxer (YouTube is free...).
    In a few months you could be in better cardio shape than almost anyone you know.
    The calorie burn will help the fat melt off.

Of course it is WORK. Many people don't really like doing that in their "workouts"...
    5 or 10 minutes of skipping rope is more intense than 30 minutes of jogging.

Most people try to stay on the balls of their feet to start.

Bodyweight squats, pull-ups, dips and push-ups can also be done at home with make-shift equipment.

@TheCupcakeCounter suggested kettlebells which is also a good choice but they can be expensive and you need to learn the mechanics to perform various lifts safely and with good technique.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I built an area in my rec room that is my home gym. Have a few sets of weights, kettlebell, treadmill, and floor mats. I do all weight bearing strength training (squats, lunges, etc) and some treadmill or outside walks for cardio and yoga on my "rest" days from strength training and get just as good as a workout as paying for a gym membership. I prefer the convenience of working out at home personally.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I'm reading "Body By You", which is a bodyweight program geared toward women. It is stuff you can do around the house without buying really anything. I borrowed it from the library to see if I like it enough to buy it, lol.
  • leslieilsel
    leslieilsel Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Beachbody on Demand. Finally losing weight with it. Do you have access to a jogging stroller? My daughter loves when I do C25k. She gets mad when I walk. Haha
  • faux_scots_lass
    faux_scots_lass Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Youtube is great for workout videos. I've been using ones by HASfit and highly recommend!
  • erevans
    erevans Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I vote for Beachbody on demand as well. I used to use Daily Burn but didn't like it. I just prefer the choices from Beachbody. I am not a SAHM but I do work full time from home and I often have the kids with me without being able to leave. Hubby doesn't work the same hours that I do. Three days per week, I go running. I plan out those days based on hubby's weekly schedule. The other 3-4 days I use the 21 Day Fix or 21 Day Fix Extreme videos for weight training. I love them - 30 minutes, little amount of equipment, and I do it right in my living room. Sometimes my kids (3 and 5yo boys) do it with me, which is hilarious. They know the script, lol. Other times, my kids are running around playing or, if I'm lucky, they might stay in their room and play Legos the whole time. I like letting them see me workout, as I think it sets a good example.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I do all my workouts at home or outside. I use almost all fitness blender videos on youtube! They are amazing. I invested in a set of adjustable weights as well.

I also go outside with my kids a lot now. We take walks, or hikes in the woods, or with my oldest son we will go for scooter rides together.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I think that guy that suggested the jump rope had an excellent idea. Nothing burns the calories like jumping rope and there is essentially no investment.
    Think of all the people you know with a rusting exercise bike or treadmill.
    The thing that worked for me, when I stayed home with my young children, was to drive my wife to work. I'd go pick her up at 5:30 pm at the end of the day and, when she got in the car, I got out. Then I'd run home, a run of about five miles.
    They wouldn't actually beat me home by much, by the time she got both boys out of the car, and checked in with them and discussed their respective days, and I could still make dinner.
    It worked really well. I didn't lose time with her and didn't lose time with the boys. It was unimportant time I used. Plus, I wasn't dependent on waiting for their naps, which might or might not come as planned.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I have gotten in much better shape using resistance bands. Short 15min workouts are very effective. Hide them from the kids!

I also like the PopSugar Fitness channel on YouTube.

I wish you the greatest success with whatever you choose!
  • boomhower1820
    boomhower1820 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    For free fitness blender and youtube. If you don't mind spending a few bucks, dailyburn. I struggled to stay working out consistently until I found dailyburn 365. I absolutely love it. A different workout everyday with a different trainer. The trainers do rotate trainers but I've never seen the same one in the same week.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Can you not take off for an hour or so after their father is home?
  • debbieled12
    debbieled12 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I use jillian michaels begginner shred and the simply fit board. Love them both.
  • Azzie521
    Azzie521 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Can you not take off for an hour or so after their father is home?

No I can't count on his help. He works late a lot. Right now we are on the road with him and things are always chaotic so I have to squeeze in exercise when and where I can.