Vega Protein and Greens powder

Options
chellec23
chellec23 Posts: 147 Member
I bought a container of the vanilla flavored Vega Protein and Greens...have tried it 2 ways and am NOT enjoying it at all. Has anyone else tried this? How did you enjoy it?

Replies

• Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    There is no way to enjoy this one. In my opinion anyway. You just choke it down.
  • chellec23
    Options
    That's what I was afraid of. It was $25 so I'm determined to not let it go to waste.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I didn't care for it, but (because I also had some to use up) found it was okay in a smoothie with a lot of other stuff vs. plain oats or just a protein shake.
  • chellec23
    Options
    What things did you put with it in a smoothie?
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    chellec23 wrote: »
    What things did you put with it in a smoothie?

Lots of different things: one recipe was roasted (and chilled) winter squash, fennel, spinach, frozen strawberries, and Fage plain greek yogurt (plus water as needed for the right thickness). I also played around with different herbs: mint, sage, anise-hyssop, especially. (My smoothies are always intended to be heavier on veg, light on the fruit.)

One fruit-based one I liked was a Vega-inspired recipe: watermelon, strawberries, coconut milk drink (the boxed stuff, not the canned), I think, plus spinach or kale (I suppose you don't need it given the powder has greens, but it's a habit).
  • chellec23
    Options
    They sound good, thanks!
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I tried Vega One protein a bunch of different ways because my healthy, all natural coworker suggested it. It was gross and this coming from someone who likes just about anything. I ended up forcing down less than half the small container of it and gave it away. I know 2 ladies here that claim they like it
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Tried it..meh,to me it was really sweet almost sickly sweet and very grainy but I did use the whole can
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I would bet it's the Stevia in it that's making it taste terrible...I suspect it'll be more palatable in a smoothie with some fruits to counter it. I've got a tub that I'm going to pawn off on my mother since she doesn't mind stuff sweetened with Stevia.

~Lyssa
  • jludwick78
    jludwick78 Posts: 34 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I bought Vega One because it had a little bit of everything in it. It was the grossest thing I've ever drank. I tried mixing it in with smoothies and having the serving size, nothing helped. I gave it away. And it was extremely expensive. Someone told me that all vegetarian protein is chalky like that. Not sure if it's true though.

I found this stuff on Amazon called Fit and lean meal replacement . Very similar and much tastier.
  • kms234
    kms234 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Vega One is terrible. Blech. I tried mixing it into smoothies and not even peanut butter will cut that taste. I was really disappointed because it was expensive and I had heard it was really good.
  • health4me84
    health4me84 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Walmart has a brand called vegan pure protein and greens. Still a little chalky but way better tasting than Vega. Vega is so gross lol. It's like 20 bucks cdn. So cheap to try but I love it and feel good taking it.
  • Chrissy448
    Chrissy448 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use Orgain Organic Protein. I also have their meal replacement and the Superfoods. I buy them on Amazon. All 3 taste great!
  • rebeccaRN1
    rebeccaRN1 Posts: 1 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I tried it too and have switched to the Leanfit version available at Costco it is a bit better. But before I made a version of the Costa Coffee (a U.K. Chain) - Banana/Oat/Coffee smoothie that hid the taste better than fruit smoothies did (I think the coffee helps to mask the taste).

1 cup Soy Milk
    1cup cold coffee
    1/4 c rolled oats ground
    2 tbsp PB2 (powdered peanut butter)
    1 frozen banana

Hope this works for you it is about 400 cal and makes a huge smoothie that could easily be 2 servings but i drink it all instead of breakfast and it keeps me full until lunch. Sometimes I add silkin tofu to up the protein (75 gms) and sometimes I add cocoa powder to make it a mocha.
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I can make Vega work if I only use like a tablespoon or two alongside cacao powder, flax, PB2, frozen mixed berries, and matcha (in almond milk). I find most powders pretty gross (and gritty) if just mixed with water or almond milk or juice and consumed at the ratio recommended on the container. Using less seems to help a lot.

I am more of a fan of whey protein but if you are vegan or lactose intolerant, of course that won't work.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I tried something similar from Whole Foods recently, but luckily they had the one serving packs so I didn't have to drop a ton of money on it. It was gross and I could only take two drinks of it before throwing it out.

Stupid gross organic health food.
  • YogaBookLady37
    YogaBookLady37 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I bought a whole container and refuse to throw it away even though it is rough. I've found that mixing a little yogurt (like a quarter cup) into my smoothies makes it better. Not sure why, but I think that will be the trick to getting through this container.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I tried something similar from Whole Foods recently, but luckily they had the one serving packs so I didn't have to drop a ton of money on it. It was gross and I could only take two drinks of it before throwing it out.

Stupid gross organic health food.

That was the more sensible thing I did -- first when trying whey powders and then when trying vegan ones I bought a bunch of packets at WF to decide what I liked. I liked a few of the whey ones and still use them. I didn't care for any of the vegan ones and that's when I decided to rely on people who had claimed the Vega was great.

I highly recommend the packet method!
  • Linzon
    Linzon Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I got a container of that stuff when it went on sale at Costco and was also determined not to waste it even though it was nasty. I found it palatable mixed with plain yogurt, cocoa powder, and some coconut milk.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Linzon wrote: »
    Ugh, I got a container of that stuff when it went on sale at Costco and was also determined not to waste it even though it was nasty. I found it palatable mixed with plain yogurt, cocoa powder, and some coconut milk.

@Linzon for future reference, Costco will let you return anything, no questions asked. :)