Sore Sit Bones

Options
I just took up cycling 14 years after the last time I owned a bike. Today my sit bones are sore. Some websites say that's not normal at all, while others say you just have adjust the saddle as best you can and basically break your sit bones in.

I'm 5'5", 171lbs with longer legs and a short torso. I tend to be a more upright rider, only leaning over to go uphill. Thoughts?

Replies

• lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Theres a reason that there are padded seats and shorts. It'll hurt til you're used to it.
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    lilawolf wrote: »
    Theres a reason that there are padded seats and shorts. It'll hurt til you're used to it.

I did go ahead and purchase a gel seat cover for my seat and I plan on purchasing some cycling shorts. In the meantime, I'm just going to keep on keeping on. My biggest concern was reading some articles that said that it is "dangerous" for your sit bones or groin area to be sore after cycling.
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Please toss the gel seat cover. Your sore spots will never harden up using that thing. Plus you will sink into it and it engulfs and rubs all your bits and pieces leading to problems.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    It took me over two weeks to toughen the backend for an hour ride. I had a 23 years hiatus. If it not getting better the more you use it, check on your bike fit. I had to relax my old racing setup initially and it took over six months before I can readopt, another six before being completely comfortable. Mine is a pretty agressive setup so ymmv.
  • columbus2015
    columbus2015 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    They make different sized saddles for different width sit bones... stop at a bike store and see if they can make a better recommendation than what you're using. You spend WAY too much time on the saddle to put up with an ill sized one....
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Partially it is just something that takes a while to get used to. But saddle choice can make a difference. If you can, try out several saddles until you find one that fits well. Also, make sure you stand up occasionally. Getting some circulation going back there helps.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Ditto's to ditching the gel seat in case that missed above.
    It'll just squeeze in to where it won't help at all but just cause problems.

Also, don't make your initial bike rides on bumpy trails where you may be coasting a fair bit.

Engaging the muscles helps lift some weight off the seat, as well as using those muscles you are sitting on - both help.

But just sitting and bumping along - ouch.

Take a few days off. Next time, you'll be back on sooner, then sooner, then it won't matter.

And if you are on average bike with longer legs and short torso, does that mean shorter arms too?

You should probably actually be leaning more, not upright more. You may need to scoot that seat back a bit, as well as confirming the height is right.
    Or your stem is sharply angled up, and it could be reversed.

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    JaxxieKat wrote: »
    was reading some articles that said that it is "dangerous" for your sit bones or groin area to be sore after cycling.

mcwhat? idk, maybe it is and i just never found out. but my first thought about that would be to check the byline and see if it's some dude fretting about his prostate or his sperm count.

aside from that, i guess i'm in the 'just takes a while' camp, at least on personal experience. it might help you decide if you could figure out whether the soreness feels like it's coming from pressure or friction. if your skin is getting raw, for instance, that would make me think your saddle might be too high for you so you're shifting side to side to make each pedal stroke.

bursitisy pain the same thing, although that might be alleviated by stretching the muscles you're using. but if your bum is just sore from not being used to you sitting on those specific parts of it, i think that probably will go away by itself.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    It'll only take a few sessions before you get used to it and it stops hurting.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    It's normal.
    Let the bruising recover, ditch the gel cover, set up your bike properly including saddle height and angle, buy some decent quality shorts, cycle again. A few cycles (sorry!) of riding and recovering and you should be fine.

BTW different saddles are designed not just for different width sit bones but also for different riding positions. The saddle that is comfortable on my hybrid wouldn't be comfortable on my road bike and vice versa.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    JaxxieKat wrote: »
    I just took up cycling 14 years after the last time I owned a bike. Today my sit bones are sore. Some websites say that's not normal at all, while others say you just have adjust the saddle as best you can and basically break your sit bones in.

I'm 5'5", 171lbs with longer legs and a short torso. I tend to be a more upright rider, only leaning over to go uphill. Thoughts?

If you have just started cycling, this is normal ... especially for someone who chooses to sit more upright.

However, be sure to have your bicycle checked to ensure that your fit is right.

Also check your saddle to ensure that you are actually sitting on your sitbones. They are supposed to take your weight.

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Padded shorts - good
    padded seats - bad (usually)
    Chamois cream - can be helpful

I ride A LOT. I have really good gear. Still, my first few long rides of the season leave me a little sore. It's normal. You'll get used to it.

On a side note, it might be worth taking the bike to a bike shop and having them spend 10 minutes with you to make sure you're reasonably well fitted to the bike. You can spend significant money on a full fit, but to start with, just get a basic adjustment to make sure you're in the ball park. Most shops should do this for you.
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    These are all great replies and helpful suggestions. I'll reevaluate the seat adjustments and take off the pad.
  • hopesforthebest
    hopesforthebest Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The correct seat (for you) and correct bike setup (for you) are key. Saddle choice is a very individual thing but you shouldn't be sore on a regular basis. So a visit to a bike shop (with your bike) to get some advice about setup/saddle should be in order.

If this was your first ride and you went for miles and miles then it might just be that you rode too long. Like other sports you need to start slow to avoid injury.