Help!

Options
I weighed myself on Thursday, and I was at 171. I weighed myself today and I am 175.8. Is it possible to put on that much weight in a few days? I went over my calories on Saturday and Sunday, but I did run 4 miles on Saturday. However, Saturday I did have a couple of drinks on the beach with friends. I am not sure how many calories I consumed on Saturday, but on Sunday I went over by maybe a couple of hundred, but I have so many calories that I build up from the week. Last week alone, I must have had 800 calories in "storage" from exercise and keeping under my calorie goal. I am just really frustrated, please help!

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Yes. The good thing is most, if not all, of it is water weight rather than fat. Weight fluctuates 24/7, and there will always be days/weeks where you don't see a loss. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear
  • songbird13291
    songbird13291 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates throughout the week. If you weigh yourself every day you'll see lots of ups and downs. the best way to gauge progress is to weigh yourself once a week, on the same day and at the same time.
  • justkeeprunning91
    justkeeprunning91 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Your muscles retain water to recover after exercise. So I wouldn't be surprised if some of that is water weight from muscles in recovery. I gained (on the scale at least) 6 lbs (!) in one weekend after I ran a half marathon. It all went away in a couple of days. Alcohol can also make you bloated, which will cause more water retention. Give it a couple of days and see what happens. You would have had to have eaten over 16,000 calories to gain that much weight in fat over a weekend. It can be scary to see the scale go up like that, but keep going! I'd also suggest getting an app like happy scale or libra that will help you see that those fluctuations don't matter in the long run. Good luck!
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I weighed myself on Thursday, and I was at 171. I weighed myself today and I am 175.8. Is it possible to put on that much weight in a few days? I went over my calories on Saturday and Sunday, but I did run 4 miles on Saturday. However, Saturday I did have a couple of drinks on the beach with friends. I am not sure how many calories I consumed on Saturday, but on Sunday I went over by maybe a couple of hundred, but I have so many calories that I build up from the week. Last week alone, I must have had 800 calories in "storage" from exercise and keeping under my calorie goal. I am just really frustrated, please help!

Yes it is possible, but its not all fat, in fact most will be water. Your body will fluctuate greatly with water. 2 cups of water = 1 lb! So keep up what your doing.
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    It's probably mostly water weight (which can fluctuate by quite a lot in even one day).

That being said, it sounds like you need to tighten up your logging if you want to see long term results. Even drinks count (and they can have a lot of calories). I know many people have had success banking calories earlier in the week so they can indulge on weekends (or doing something like intermittent fasting which also results in different numbers of calories consumed per day), but they are doing this while still logging everything precisely. That means no days where you don't know how many calories you consumed.
  • jessicalferrara
    jessicalferrara Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Your muscles retain water to recover after exercise. So I wouldn't be surprised if some of that is water weight from muscles in recovery. I gained (on the scale at least) 6 lbs (!) in one weekend after I ran a half marathon. It all went away in a couple of days. Alcohol can also make you bloated, which will cause more water retention. Give it a couple of days and see what happens. You would have had to have eaten over 16,000 calories to gain that much weight in fat over a weekend. It can be scary to see the scale go up like that, but keep going! I'd also suggest getting an app like happy scale or libra that will help you see that those fluctuations don't matter in the long run. Good luck!

Thank you so much for the advice! I've been working out 5 days a week. I do Orangetheory three days a week, and run the other two. I'm building up my running because I want to run the Disney Princess Half Marathon next February, so I'm starting now, since I've never been much of a runner. I've been drinking water a lot too just to try and help with the bloating. Hopefully in a few days, this will all be a memory haha!

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

Thank you so much for the advice! I've been working out 5 days a week. I do Orangetheory three days a week, and run the other two. I'm building up my running because I want to run the Disney Princess Half Marathon next February, so I'm starting now, since I've never been much of a runner. I've been drinking water a lot too just to try and help with the bloating. Hopefully in a few days, this will all be a memory haha!

also note that when you drink alcohol your body tries to process(burn) it first before anything else.