Losing over 100 pounds..

Options
I want to lose 110 pounds not sure how long I should give my self... start weight is 257 ..any advise I'm going to work out a few times a week if not more I'm starting a shake today ...any advice would be helpful!!

Replies

• MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I started at around 245 in late August and now I measure at 183. Sticking to a good diet and moving around a lot will help you lose a lot of weight initially, but then you will slow down the smaller you get. For me, it's a constant readjustment of macros to get weight loss results. I've met with doctors too to figure out how to optimize my weight loss at a healthy rate. Calorie counting will be your friend, and don't feel bad about logging food you would consider to be "junk". Foods like that are okay as long as it stays within your calories allotment.
  • WyattsMomKimberly
    WyattsMomKimberly Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    If you have no plateaus and you ca consistently lose at 2 pounds a week you should be able to lose that weight in 55 weeks. Now we all know that weight loss isn't linear. So realistically I say 18 months to allow for some bishops. However that will take constant dedication to do it in 55 weeks.
  • elyvegan
    elyvegan Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hey! Motivation is whats get you started but habit is what keeps you going. :)
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    It has taken me a little over 2 years to lose 101 lbs. with 20 more to go ....Slow n steady wins the race ....I am a keto'er which means I eat very low carb, moderate protein and high fat ..I lift weights M W F Tu TH some kind of dvd right now I am doing Country Heat ...and I run either on both days of the weekend or just one

Wishing you much success and just be patient :)
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    It's important to set mini-goals like 5 or 10 pounds because that's dueable. It's easy to get frustrated when you are only looking at the end goal of losing 100 pounds. When you first start out maybe set a goal of 10 pounds a month then go down the maybe 5 pounds. It's up to you really and dedicated you truly are. Best of luck to you
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    It took me a little over two years to go from 250 to 150. A hell of a lot quicker than it took me to gain it. No rush.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend not trying to force your body into a set schedule. It depends very much on the caloric deficit that you're comfortable with, and keep in mind that your calorie needs will get lower as you lose weight. Your weight loss will slow down dramatically near your goal weight. It's taken me 2.5 years to lose 95 pounds, and now I'm 5 pounds from my goal. It'll take another few months for me to get there because my deficit is pretty small. Just focus on meeting your calorie goals and don't put yourself on a timer. The weight will come off.
  • TheJourneyToFabulous
    TheJourneyToFabulous Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Theres no set time, one week you can lose one you might not it took awhile to put the weight on also it may take awhile to get it off. I am hoping most of mine is off in a year ive got over 100 to lose also.

Setting little goals helps me like just now im getting my next stone off so got another 6lbs to go and im down 28lbs. Then itll be next half stone
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I started out at a similar weight, 268 pounds. It took me about a year and a half to lose 118 pounds. As others have said your weight will come off a lot quicker at first and will slow down the closer you get to your goal. Don't be in a rush, you only want to do this once and you want to do it right. Buy a food scale, don't beat yourself up, if you occasionally slip up, enjoy the process.
  • therealklane
    therealklane Posts: 2,172 Member
    Options
    Started out at 336, got down to 196-198 within about a year and a half, had my appendix removed and then a lipoma taken out of my back, got completely off course, gained about 70 back :angry: so now I'm just taking it one day at a time. Took a year and a half basically to gain what I'd lost. It's up and down. Things happen. For me, it's better to look at how far from that 336 I've come rather than how far I have to go.....again. Don't rush it. Try not to get frustrated (as I certainly have been - 100% with myself because I know I am the only one at fault for my gain). Know that "failures" will happen, but every day is a new day and a new opportunity.

Add me if you want. :)
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I'm on a 100+ lbs journey as well. If you want company, feel free to join a group of us on that trip
    Let's Lose it: 100+lbs

For tips, realize you are on a journey that will take 1-2 years.

Initially I focused on changing my habits and eased into my weight loss. I spent my first couple weeks tracking what I was eating and starting to plan my meals. After I got into a rhythm it was much easier to tighten down my calorie target. I started out targeting 1lb a week, then 1.5, and now it's 2lbs a week. I could not have started with my current calorie goal and stuck with it.

• youdoyou2016
    youdoyou2016 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 100 lbs, too. What others say about their timeframe is my experience as well.

Some thoughts: For me, sometimes nothing changed for a while. I wonder if at some point I was losing fat around organs, etc because the scale would go down a little but my body didn't change at all. Whatever -- doesn't make sense, but my suggestion is to measure yourself everywhere. Not just obvious places like your waist and hips, but also your wrists, forearms, neck, etc. Sometimes the scale doesn't move, so it's good to mark progress in many ways. Photos, too.

It's a long haul, so it may help to celebrate wins other than what the scale shows.

Lastly, since you ask for advice: I, personally, wouldn't do a shake. I'd eat food. Say the shake is 250 calories -- why not eat a boiled egg, banana, and apple for the same #? A can of tuna has 120 calories and w/ 2 T of light mayo is 190 total. You get the idea, I guess. The point is that at some point it's a numbers game, and I think getting into the game fully is your best bet for losing and the rest of life.

• amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    You took years likely decades to gain the weight relax it will take a while to get it off.
    Learn good habits like get into the habit of logging every day. Then put your mfp data in and hit the calorie goal. 2lbs might be reasonable to start but will become too agressive after a bit.
    Look at first 10 lbs then next 10.ect
    But 1 to 2 years
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Definitely don't give yourself a schedule cause it'll take what it takes, and your cycle will mean sometimes water will disguise your loss and sometimes it will be a major drop. If you want to weigh yourself daily use a weight trending app. Use the time to learn portion control and how to eat mostly healthy, cause after you've lost the weight yo need to maintain in and you can't do that without keeping to the same rules you use to lose weight
  • therealklane
    edited April 2017
    Options

Lastly, since you ask for advice: I, personally, wouldn't do a shake. I'd eat food. Say the shake is 250 calories -- why not eat a boiled egg, banana, and apple for the same #? A can of tuna has 120 calories and w/ 2 T of light mayo is 190 total. You get the idea, I guess. The point is that at some point it's a numbers game, and I think getting into the game fully is your best bet for losing and the rest of life.

I would much rather eat my calories than drink them too. However, I did find these Premier Protein shakes - they are 160 cals and 30g of protein. Not high in carbs or sugars like a lot of them. They taste like a chocolate milkshake. Yum. I can usually stomach them with some fruit for breakfast since I am not good at eating so early. Then I may have one around 3:30-4:00 to get me through the worst part of the work day (lol) and to the gym. There are lots of options out there. You just have to shop around and find what works for you.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options

I would much rather eat my calories than drink them too. However, I did find these Premier Protein shakes - they are 160 cals and 30g of protein. Not high in carbs or sugars like a lot of them. They taste like a chocolate milkshake. Yum. I can usually stomach them with some fruit for breakfast since I am not good at eating so early. Then I may have one around 3:30-4:00 to get me through the worst part of the work day (lol) and to the gym. There are lots of options out there. You just have to shop around and find what works for you.

I second the Premier Protein Shakes! I don't have them every day but they make an excellent back up when running late and heading for the door. I also like their protein bars, though the calories are much higher.
  • therealklane
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »

I second the Premier Protein Shakes! I don't have them every day but they make an excellent back up when running late and heading for the door. I also like their protein bars, though the calories are much higher.

I have some of the bars stashed in my desk too. But the I prefer Quest when it comes to protein bars. LOL. I think it's because I can warm them up or bake them like cookies. Mmmm. Then when I have a shake and a bar baked like cookies it's like I've cheated my way through breakfast with chocolate milk and cookies. Hehehe