Check marked foods are not accurate!

Options
I have been finding numerous foods with the check mark on them that are inaccurate.

For example, most of the Carbmaster yogurts are off by 10 calories. They are not up to date.

I think it is wrong for MFP to use this method to flag foods in order to assure users they are getting accurate information when in fact the information is not at all accurate.

It forces me to continue to use my own input every time I use a new food. I do not trust your input ... not even the ones you have flagged with your cute check marks!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    All the checkmark means is that multiple users have indicated it is accurate. It's not meant to be an assurance or guarantee that a food is accurate, it just means it has been verified by other users. As you've noticed, there are inaccuracies in some of these items.
  • princess0lexi
    princess0lexi Posts: 3,938 Member
    Options
    i check to make sure my stuff is right and their have been times i have had to send in a thing to change it to make the calories or something else right
  • ShrinkingViolet1982
    ShrinkingViolet1982 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    If you use the barcode scanner is it more accurate? That should be fairly up to date and guarantee the right product?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If you use the barcode scanner is it more accurate? That should be fairly up to date and guarantee the right product?

No, the barcode scanner can also link to older, incorrect, or incomplete entries.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Amen. The checkmark system is total trash and should be discarded as such. It's way too misleading.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Some of the verified foods are so incredibly wrong that I'm surprised multiple users said they were accurate. E.g., a tablespoon of grated parmesan cheese has 2700 calories.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I'm finding the bar code scanner isn't working as well either. On two of my foods last night, it gave incorrect calories. Had to double check the package against what the scanned item came up as.
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Anymore I either use the USDA entry or log my own. Only way to be mostly sure it's accurate.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I'm finding the bar code scanner isn't working as well either. On two of my foods last night, it gave incorrect calories. Had to double check the package against what the scanned item came up as.

Yeah, it only pulls up information that some other user entered.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    KiwiAlexP wrote: »
    If you're using a prepared food (like yoghurt) there is always the possibility that the manufacturer has updated the nutrition info since the item was added to the database
    Foods also sometimes vary regionally, and the database may not reflect that.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    The mfp database is not reliable at all