Upping Cardio intensity and eating less (fat/complex carb) calories, but same weight? what gives?

I've been upping my cardio sessions (6 days a week) with higher intensity (run mainly, sometimes elliptical) and have been really watching my carb intake and fat instake (unhealthy carbs and fats) and watching my portion control.. My body will stay at 115 lbs. For the summer months, my goal is to lean out and weigh 5 pounds less.. but instead, I stepped on the scale this morning and weighed 118! what gives? I do not "worship" the scale, since I know water weight plays a big part.

Has this happend to anyone else? I have also been weight lifting 6 days a week (weights then cardio) - but I still to squatting 20 pounds, nothing too heavy.

Has this happened to anyone else? super frustrating..

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    It's just water weight. When you are already lean, going crazy with intensity is not the solution to looking leaner. You'll often just end up gaining water weight, as you have.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Just curious, how many calories are you taking in a day?

Based on your answer this article may be of interest to you:

http://www.sweatlikeapig.com/2014/04/11/do-you-really-have-a-damaged-metabolism/

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Yea I agree with jemhh, going too crazy with the cardio can have negative effects on your lean body mass in the end. I would focus more on lifting, less on cardio, keep the deficit minimal, get adequate protein and not cut the cals too low. Relax and have patience.
  • sardelsa
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    There's not enough info in your post to offer any meaningful help.

How long has your weight stayed the same?
    Do you know how many calories you're eating?

Also, looking at your pic, you might have a REALLY hard time dropping 5lbs to lean out. You might need to go through a bulk/growth phase to add a little muscle, then cut back from there if you want a more toned/defined look. More cutting isn't always the answer, especially if the muscle isn't there to begin with.

So much this. I just looked at your photo and think you were given that exact advice in another thread.
  • cardioxxbunnyxx
    cardioxxbunnyxx Posts: 39 Member
    edited April 2017
    I used to weigh 125 pounds about a year ago, started taking care of myself, then dropped to 115 lb, and it has stayed at 115 lbs. pretty much since I have started doing cardio and eating more healthily.

I will eat 1200 calories a day, since going any lower is not very healthy as I have heard, over the long term, sometimes even less since I don't realize I am hungry since I get busy at work during the day. I am not really looking to gain more muscle, I just want to rid the extra body fat.

Also, looking at your pic, you might have a REALLY hard time dropping 5lbs to lean out. You might need to go through a bulk/growth phase to add a little muscle, then cut back from there if you want a more toned/defined look. More cutting isn't always the answer, especially if the muscle isn't there to begin with.

• cardioxxbunnyxx
    I just read this article, thanks.

I have always wondered if my metabolism was damaged and that is why my weight won't budge. I have recently went to the doctors for a check up and was told I may have chronic (adrenal) fatigue syndrome. Not sure if that has anything to do with my issue possibly.
    Just curious, how many calories are you taking in a day?

Based on your answer this article may be of interest to you:

http://www.sweatlikeapig.com/2014/04/11/do-you-really-have-a-damaged-metabolism/

• cardioxxbunnyxx
    Yes, It is super hard for me to gain any type of muscle, especially my upper body. I think I should of used the statement, "loose extra body fat" instead of "lean out." Muscle definition is important to me and one of my goals, but more so it is the extra body fat I have in certain areas.
    sardelsa wrote: »

So much this. I just looked at your photo and think you were given that exact advice in another thread.

• nichell88
    nichell88 Posts: 364 Member
    Yea I agree with jemhh, going too crazy with the cardio can have negative effects on your lean body mass in the end. I would focus more on lifting, less on cardio, keep the deficit minimal, get adequate protein and not cut the cals too low. Relax and have patience.

This
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    When I was dealing with chronic fatigue I had to really drop my workouts. To this day there's no way I could do 6 days a week of heavy workouts, and I absolutely couldn't on 1200 calories.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Kimo159 wrote: »
    When I was dealing with chronic fatigue I had to really drop my workouts. To this day there's no way I could do 6 days a week of heavy workouts, and I absolutely couldn't on 1200 calories.

ETA: I dropped from 5-6 days a week to 2-3 and now I'm at 3-4 days a week lifting and 1-2 yoga classes per week and active rest days consisting of yard work, house work, walks with the dog.
  • sardelsa
    Is that you in your profile picture and is it current? If it is, you look really lean. The issue we are trying to address is that you may not have the muscle base to support being more lean, what will happen if you continue to diet down, is you may end up losing more muscle in the process which is no bueno. So you may have to build up muscle in order to cut down and lose that extra body fat (if that makes any sense) unless you want to see more bones than muscle, again I don't know your goals. Maybe if you could clarify where these problem areas are we could better help you.

Also, when you say "it is super hard for me to gain muscle"
    What lifting program are you currently following? Have you tried to gain muscle by eating at a surplus for an extended period of time? Gaining muscle is hard work... it takes months of consistency, and can take several cycles to be satisfied with muscle growth (especially for women).
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Yes, It is super hard for me to gain any type of muscle, especially my upper body. I think I should of used the statement, "loose extra body fat" instead of "lean out." Muscle definition is important to me and one of my goals, but more so it is the extra body fat I have in certain areas.

The reason it is so hard to gain muscle is because you're eating way too few calories. You'll never gain muscle doing cardio and weight training 6 days/week on 1200 calories. You're doing more harm than good. You should be eating at the minimum 1700 kcal/day just to maintain, obviously more if you want to gain muscle.

Also you look good. I personally think you'd actually look better with a bit of muscle on your frame/gaining a little weight. Just my opinion. :)
  • cardioxxbunnyxx
    Thank you.
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    To be honest I have no idea what body you're looking at. You already look quite lean and you have muscular definition. I don't see anything that's there to lose.

If I were you I would just maintain.

• cardioxxbunnyxx
    I would like to loose more fat in my bottom half, as genetically for me, that is where most of it goes.. (thighs and HIPS!) :( You can't really tell too much as my profile photo is of my upper body, so that is where I would like to burn more of the extra fat and lean out my legs more, not bulk them, I don't know, maybe it is not possible for my body. Thank you regardless for your replies.

The reason it is so hard to gain muscle is because you're eating way too few calories. You'll never gain muscle doing cardio and weight training 6 days/week on 1200 calories. You're doing more harm than good. You should be eating at the minimum 1700 kcal/day just to maintain, obviously more if you want to gain muscle.

Also you look good. I personally think you'd actually look better with a bit of muscle on your frame/gaining a little weight. Just my opinion. :)
    Is that you in your profile picture and is it current? If it is, you look really lean. The issue we are trying to address is that you may not have the muscle base to support being more lean, what will happen if you continue to diet down, is you may end up losing more muscle in the process which is no bueno. So you may have to build up muscle in order to cut down and lose that extra body fat (if that makes any sense) unless you want to see more bones than muscle, again I don't know your goals. Maybe if you could clarify where these problem areas are we could better help you.

What lifting program are you currently following? Have you tried to gain muscle by eating at a surplus for an extended period of time? Gaining muscle is hard work... it takes months of consistency, and can take several cycles to be satisfied with muscle growth (especially for women).

• cardioxxbunnyxx
    edited April 2017
    Also, thanks! But the last thing I want to do is gain back any weight in my lower body, so gaining weight would be out of the question, I just like a leaner look. I'm 5 foot 2 as well, with short limbs, so anything over 120 pounds, *on me* doesn't look "fit."

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    I think you are always going to struggle, because you seem to have some body image issues. You've gotten some great advice in this thread.
  • sardelsa
    Ok gaining muscle won't necessarily bulk you, maybe temporarily since you will gain muscle +fat (again it will depend on your rate of gain and how much) but once you cut again you may have a bit more size but you will be able to reduce your body fat more and will be able to look more "toned" in the end.

If you are really opposed to gaining, I would definitely look into recomposition... that way you can lose fat and build some muscle (believe me it won't be a lot and you won't get bulky).

As I said, if you keep losing, what can happen is that you will likely keep losing from your upper half rather than where you want it.. (sucky I know) plus you can also lose muscle. When I recently cut and reached my goal weight, I still had some fat in my lower half, so instead of dropping even lower (which I knew wouldn't get me the results I desired, been there done that), I decided to build up.. so now when I cut I will have the definition I desire, plus a banging swole booty to match. ;)

Again it's up to you, if you think going lower with help, give it a go and follow my advice from my first post. Weigh and measure all your food, keep the deficit small, get about 0.8-1g protein per lb body weight, focus on lifting and reduce your cardio, and have patience. Good luck!
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited April 2017
    I would like to loose more fat in my bottom half, as genetically for me, that is where most of it goes.. (thighs and HIPS!) :( You can't really tell too much as my profile photo is of my upper body, so that is where I would like to burn more of the extra fat and lean out my legs more, not bulk them, I don't know, maybe it is not possible for my body. Thank you regardless for your replies.

I can see your hips and thighs... and I can kind of see your butt. I stand by my original comment -