Phentermine?

Options
I just started Phentermine yesterday and am down a pound. I am also drinking about a gallon of water a day and today I've had almost no appetite, although I've forced myself to eat healthily. As of today I weigh 211 lbs (5'3") and my goal is 150 - optimally 135. I honestly can't believe I've allowed myself to gain this much weight. If you had asked me a few years ago if I would EVER weigh this much I would have been aghast .I attribute a great deal of the weight gain to antidepressants + lithium +Zyprexa . I am weaning off those meds now. But anyway, I am wondering whether anyone else is taking phentermine and what your results have been.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    My friend ended up with some heart damage. Not for me. Be wary please.
  • averysmallhouse
    averysmallhouse Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My dr approved the phentermine (since I was already taking adderall for ADHD he knew I could handle a stimulant). I'm working closely with my Dr to wean off the Zyprexa and Lithium. We're replacing Lithium with lamictal, another mood stabilizer that isn't known to cause weight gain. As for the Zyprexa I am now taking it on an as-needed rather than daily basis.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    I didn't learn healthy eating habits when my appetite was artificially suppressed by taking a legal amphetamine-like drug and I gained all the weight back when I stopped taking it.

Here's my new favorite post about Phentermine: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10329901/phentermine/p1
  • averysmallhouse
    averysmallhouse Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    PS: I am no longer taking an antidepressant as with many bipolar individuals, SSRIs and SNRIs made me worse, not better. Not to mention the weight gain.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    It's an appetite increase with the meds you are taking that caused the weight gain. I really hope the phentermine helps, I'm not sure I've seen too many people transition from it very well.
  • reichardtjessica
    reichardtjessica Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm currently taking it. Prescribed by my weight management doctor. I've only been on for it 2 weeks. I don't think it works though. I still have an appetite but I do have more energy. I do have serious dry mouth though (which is a side effect.) I've lost almost 10lbs in 2 weeks but i stick to a 1300 cal diet and work out 5 days a week so not sure if its the meds or me lol
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I'm currently taking it. Prescribed by my weight management doctor. I've only been on for it 2 weeks. I don't think it works though. I still have an appetite but I do have more energy. I do have serious dry mouth though (which is a side effect.) I've lost almost 10lbs in 2 weeks but i stick to a 1300 cal diet and work out 5 days a week so not sure if its the meds or me lol

The main point of phentermine is to decrease your appetite. If you are easily sticking to the 1300 then it could be that the phentermine is working. It's also entirely possible that the drug isn't working and you're doing it all on your own. But it's the calorie deficit that's causing the loss.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Just to add, I'm bipolar too (type 2) so am speaking from lived experience of psych meds. Have never taken phentermine but have lost all my "meds" weight and more.
  • reichardtjessica
    reichardtjessica Posts: 89 Member
    Options

The main point of phentermine is to decrease your appetite. If you are easily sticking to the 1300 then it could be that the phentermine is working. It's also entirely possible that the drug isn't working and you're doing it all on your own. But it's the calorie deficit that's causing the loss.

Well, no it's not easy at all lol i have constant urges i have to fight everyday but I want this bad enough so ill just suck it up. Ill only be on the meds for another 2 weeks then I'm off of them and ill find out then!
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I've tried phentermine (duromine equiv in Australia) I hated it. My moods were so up and down. Lost weight and put it all back on plus some. I would have thought adderall would do the same thing as phentermine as in, decrease appetite.
    Mfp has been the ONLY thing that's worked for me after YEARS of yoyoing and trying so many weight loss products I can't even begin to remember half. I'm fully and absolutely dedicated to this app and am losing weight. For me it was a mental block I had to overcome. That weight loss is NOT an overnight thing. It really is all about calorie in calorie out. Which is why phentermine works in the short term, eating less=less calories. Good luck:-)
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Sorry haven't tried.
  • rhondalas
    rhondalas Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Do not take phentermine. It makes your heart race and you could go into cardiac arrest. Do 1300 calories a day and u can lose weight.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

It's you! You're working hard! Congrats!
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    rhondalas wrote: »
    Do not take phentermine. It makes your heart race and you could go into cardiac arrest. Do 1300 calories a day and u can lose weight.

um...why 1300?
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I took it for 2 weeks and didn't care for it. Didn't lose much if any weight on it. I took 37.5mg once a day. Good luck to you
  • itsmissmad
    itsmissmad Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Original poster have you seen any results? I am similar BMI of 37.9 5ft 3in at 217 pounds. I have never ever had to take medication in my life and it got to the point where even my doctor wanted me to try it. I’m using it as a tool to help create be eating patterns by satiating my pallet and replacing those food triggers with a healthier alternative. My doctor wanted me to experiment with it for one month to see if it helps with my triggered eating. I’ve been on it one week and am amazed at the appetite suppression. Coming from someone with a food addiction and binge eating problem it is quite encouraging. I would normally stick to a healthy 1400 calorie diet and then ruin almost every night with a binge. This has helped that tremendously so. I haven’t had any heart racing or issues other people listed, but I’m only taking the 15mg twice a day. I feel very positive about his helping me really change the way I think about food. If anyone has had any changes please let me know!
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

It's not just the calorie deficit, it's also the increase heart rate, which increases metabolic rate. Most patients see in increase of 20 to 30 bpm while taking the drug, that adds up to a lot of extra burned calories per day.