Need a workout.

Options
I only have two days a week to work out. I need a plan that will fit into this schedule. I work in a tire factory and I am moving, pulling on tires for eleven hours a day, five days a week. Some of the tires weigh as much as one hundred pounds. My goal is a better physique, not a body builders or a powerlifters. Thanks for any help and advice.

Replies

• JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    My husband accidentally posted under my account, so I'll forward suggestions to him lol
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    "Better physique" is a vague goal. Is your main concern to reduce excess bodyfat? Or is it to get bigger?
    Also what equipment do you have available?
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    "Better physique" is a vague goal. Is your main concern to reduce excess bodyfat? Or is it to get bigger?

• JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I have a great workout for your husband. I'm gonna assume you have equipment access.

Overhead press, Bench press, Squat, Deadlift, Lat pull downs (or Pull ups), and an ab workout I like cable crunches, but he can plank, mountain climb, or do sit ups whatever he likes.
    Find his 1 rep max for 4 main lifts adjust to 90% for training max.

Week 1
    Day 1
    Bench press
    1st set 40% of training max 5 reps
    2nd set 50% 5 reps
    3rd set 60% 3 reps
    4th set 70% 3reps
    5th set 80% 3 reps
    6th set 90% until failure.

Overhead press
    5 set of 10 reps 50% of training max

Lat pull downs(or pull ups)
    5x10

Day 2
    Squat
    2nd set 50% 5 reps
    3rd set 60% 3 reps
    4th set 70% 3reps
    5th set 80% 3 reps

Deadlift

Abs
    5 sets 1 minute or 10 reps

Week 2
    Day 1
    Overhead press
    2nd set 50% 5 reps
    3rd set 60% 3 reps
    4th set 70% 3reps
    5th set 80% 3 reps

Bench press

Lat pull downs(or pull ups)
    5x10

Day 2
    Deadlift
    2nd set 50% 5 reps
    3rd set 60% 3 reps
    4th set 70% 3reps
    5th set 80% 3 reps

Squat

Abs
    5 sets 1 minute or 10 reps

Increase the training max by 2.5lbs every 2 weeks until you can't get atleast 3 reps on the final sets.

You can increase the 5x10 sets by 5% a month up to 80% of your training max.

Round the lift totals to the nearest 5 or 0.

Example: 252 = 250 but 253 = 255.
  • Ryguy08
    Ryguy08 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Try the 531 program. There's a 2 day a week template. It's a very flexible program and works well if you follow it. I love it!
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    JoshD8705 wrote: »
    I have a great workout for your husband. I'm gonna assume you have equipment access.

Thank you for posting this. Yes, he does have access to the equipment. We have a gym membership. We also have day pass access to a local powerlifting gym to fill in the gaps, if necessary.

Cherimoose wrote: »

He is mainly looking to get rid of belly fat and improve his overall health. He isn't a gym noob. He has trained off and on since his late-teens, but with his work schedule he wasn't been able to work out as often as he would like. He has access to pretty much any piece of cable equipment or free weights necessary.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    JaxxieKat wrote: »
    He is mainly looking to get rid of belly fat and improve his overall health.

The belly fat is from consuming too many calories, so it should be burned by reversing that.

Overall health is mainly from being at a healthy weight (see above) and staying physically active (which he already is doing). At the gym, i'd focus mostly on getting the heart rate up.. like HIIT cardio & metabolic exercises.. since his lifestyle is lacking that. He can add on a few sets of strength training, but it should be a lower priority.
    Are his gym days consecutive or a few days apart?