constipation :S

Options
2»

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I had (have) a bad constipation problem. I thought I was getting 50g of fiber per day. I was on meds that didn't work, magnesium was a nope, sometimes not even laxatives.

I went to the doc again yesterday. Basically I stopped being stubborn, admitted that i might be eating less fiber than I thought, ate some damn berries, prunes, and fiber one cereal....and my stomach is alive today. I'm like a whole new person. I literally thought I was broken. Just stubborn.

Try the prunes at least lol
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    For the magnesium folks, how long did it take to get things moving? I pretty much have to take Miralax every day. I'd love a different/better solution.

I would really like to poop more.

I'm taking 250 mg Mg, drinking 10+ cups of water, getting fiber up over 35 most days, and exercising crazy lots. Poop is about 6/7 days each week. It could be any or all of those things helping.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    ...Try the prunes at least lol

When I was little I had problems. My mom always made me eat prunes (which I thought were kinda gross) but they always seemed to work. I don't have much trouble now but I drink a lot of water, exercise and/or take some Epsom salts (magnesium) if there's an issue.
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    The one thing that irritates me the most about food labeling is that they don't list the different kinds of fiber.

Soluble fiber adds bulk and slows down digestion. Insoluble speeds things up. Insoluble fiber is the one that will help with constipation. We can't even track the different types on MFP.

When I'm low on insoluble fiber I take a psyllium husk supplement.

For reference:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/compare-dietary-fibers
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    To those that recommended magnesium citrate thank you, thank you, thank you. I'd say thank you from the bottom of my heart but it is the bottom of my bowels which is most grateful.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    To those that recommended magnesium citrate thank you, thank you, thank you. I'd say thank you from the bottom of my heart but it is the bottom of my bowels which is most grateful.

Glad everything "worked out" for you. ;)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »

Yay :bigsmile: Good ol magnesium has never let me down!
  • kimkaissi
    kimkaissi Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If I don't check my fiber and water intakes, I can go a month without pooping. I can't list all the laxatives, different oils and stuff my doctor made me try. Nothing worked. Twice I took a product they give patient before a colonoscopy to empty their intestines and NOTHING HAPPENED! I didn't even feel any discomfort lol SO, I say you should make sure you actually eat the amount of fibers you think you're eating but most of all YOU HAVE TO DRINK enough water with it otherwise you'll just get more constipated. Also, in my case quinoa constipated me just as much as rice. Eat those but with moderation :) Not drinking dairy milk anymore made it easier for me to keep my constipation in check as well. I eat oats often and shredded wheat too. If I keep track of all this, I don't have any problems. I see you mention bloating. Eating a lot of fiber and not drinking enough water can cause dehydration and constipation. Dehydration causes water retention. For water retention, keep your sodium and sugar intakes in check and drink more water. Bottom line: try to drink more water with your fibers. Might be the solution to your problems :)
  • MyLovesMyLife
    MyLovesMyLife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I understand your frustration. I am going on 5 days with no movement. UGH! None of the suggestions have worked for me except mineral oil but who wants to constantly do that! I have IC(Idiopathic Constipation) which means no medical reason for it.