May sound a bit silly but is it safe to have 3 meal replacement shakes a day no snacking

Options
3 meal replacement a day NO snacking and 5-6litres of water a day.

Replies

• crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Most meal replacement product will be labeled as not suitable to be a sole source of food/nutritional intake, or something similar.

If the production company is required to tell you it would be inadequate then that's a good guide.
  • rachelleelsie3898
    rachelleelsie3898 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    @amusedmonkey it's not a definable approach I was just curious to whether it will be safe it's a PhD woman replacement it does state on there can be used 2-3 times a day iv been using it for breakfast & lunch due to my busy life style. Thank you for your opinion muchly appreciated.
  • rachelleelsie3898
    Options
    @subcounter no reason just a curious question.
  • rachelleelsie3898
    Options
    @lizery it's does state can be used 2-3 times a day it was just a curious question that's all. But thank you for your comment
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    That's not what's recommended, no. Most meal replacements are not designed to replace all meals, only 2 out of 3.

and that's a hell of a lot of water if you're not used to that amount.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    @amusedmonkey it's not a definable approach I was just curious to whether it will be safe it's a PhD woman replacement it does state on there can be used 2-3 times a day iv been using it for breakfast & lunch due to my busy life style. Thank you for your opinion muchly appreciated.

Yes, but how many calories does each shake have? I'm not familiar with that shake, but if it's something like Soylent with full nutrients and 500 calories per shake then yes it could be done, if it's like most shakes with 300 something calories and partial nutrients, it's not the best idea. Again, I would reconsider your planned water intake.
  • rachelleelsie3898
    Options
    @amusedmonkey the calorie intake is 202.how much intake of water should I be taking I thought 5-6litres was acceptable. Apparently not.
  • amusedmonkey
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @amusedmonkey the calorie intake is 202.how much intake of water should I be taking I thought 5-6litres was acceptable. Apparently not.

I fully agree with @subcounter, but I know people will do what they want to do anyway. If you are going to do it you are going to need at 6-10 of these shakes a day (depending on your stats and activity level), a good multivitamin, maybe some fish oil, and at least half of your planned water intake. Water intake depends on many factors like activity level and temperature, but as a rule of thumb 2 liters should be more than enough, if not too much, especially that you are going to be drinking an additional 1-2 liters on top in shakes.

In a week or two when you are sick of this diet I highly suggest you browse the forum to learn how to make your weight loss sustainable and realistic.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options

judge by the color of your pee, and coffee or tea are fine for hydration.
    Here's what your pee might be telling you:

Straw-Colored To Transparent-Yellow Pee: This is the normal urine color of a healthy, well-hydrated body. This is what it should look like.

Transparent Or Clear Pee: You should always be properly hydrated, but you can actually drink too much water, which will make your urine virtually colorless. Overhydration for long periods of time can lead to serious complications. We will get to that later.

Dark Yellow Pee: Still "normal"—but verging on signs of dehydration. You should probably start sipping water more regularly.

Honey-Colored Pee: Time to up the water intake. This isn't going to cut it.

Maple-Syrup-Colored Pee: Uh-oh! This is could suggest severe dehydration or liver disease.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

So you would only be consuming 606 calories a day? No that is not even close to safe. And it sounds like torture :(. Your body needs a certain amount of calories to do it's thing - like making your heart beat, and your lungs breathe, and your brain function, etc.

Put your correct stats into MFP and your goal, and eat the amount of calories it gives you. Sometimes it's hard when you're busy, but you can't be to busy to do the one basic thing we have to every day (that are body can't do on it's own) to survive. Personally, I am filled up more by food than a shake, but if you like them that's fine, as long as you fit them into a well balanced, calorie-appropriate diet. Please take care of yourself :)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Nope, this is all around a very bad idea.
  • rachelleelsie3898
    Options
    @amusedmonkey okay for 1 I didn't say I was consuming 3 shakes a day I consume 2 for breakfast & lunch due to my busy lifestyle. I was just looking for people's opinions on drinking a third. Please note I'm not an idiot. And I am taking my weight loss in a sustainable and realistic approach. Thanks for comment though appreciated.
  • rachelleelsie3898
    Options
    @kimny72 I don't plan on drinking 3 shakes a day I was just asking if it was safe. It just states on the directions of use can be consumed 2-3times a day. I drink 2 shakes a day and a clean meal for dinner. Thank you for your comment.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do the shake for all 3 meals and eat nothing else, you'll be seriously undernourished and lethargic.

As for the water.. 5-6 L is serious overkill. 2L is fine, 3+L if you live in a hot climate and are outside sweating a lot.
  • rachelleelsie3898
    Options
    @Christine_72 please see my other comments I am not consuming 3 shakes a day I consume 2 plus a clean meal for dinner & I drink a lot of water because I don't snack & to be honest I love water.
  • amusedmonkey
    edited April 2017
    Options
    The short answer is yes, even if you aren't eating any food. But for it to be safe this way you would need at least 2 shakes per meal and a multi vitamin, possibly a fiber supplement if the shake is poor in fiber, plus fish oil or some other oil supplement if it's poor in fat.