Do you ever follow a binge with a fast?

Options
Usually I just get back to eating in a 500 calorie deficit, but I am just curious about what others do

Replies

• kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I just try and log it, and then start the next day fresh!
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I just make sure to be extra committed to my calorie goal for the next several days.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    It's something that can become a vicious cycle. I do go back to my normal deficit often, but I am guilty of getting into binge/fast routines on occasion.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Some people say that the best thing to do after you have a big meal is to wait until you are hungry again before you eat again. I see no reason why that shouldn't work with a binge as well. While it may not offset all of the extra calories, skipping meals until you are hungry again won't set you up for the regular binge/starve cycle because you don't allow yourself to get so hungry that you have trouble controlling your eating.
  • Determinedtoloseliz
    Determinedtoloseliz Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I eat when im hungry the day after. Usually about 1 or 2pm. I struggle with binge eating though and am trying to get out of the cycle
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I don't binge anymore, I eat above my calorie allowance (new meantality) but I just hop back into it the next day. From experience over the short time I've been here, and from also reading forums, it won't hinder your process. Maybe a gain from water.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I've tried to eat low after a binge and that just puts you in a bad severe restriction binge cycle. Just log the overage, accept it set you back 1 or 2 days (which isn't much in the grand scheme of things) and just start fresh the next day. Pay no mind to temporarily fluctuation in weight due to water and glycogen.
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Usually I'll skip breakfast because I'm not really hungry the next morning anyway and then just get back on track. Sometimes I hit the gym or take a nice walk. Lately I have really been trying to tap into why I binge and self sabotage my weight loss efforts.
  • Slowfaster
    Slowfaster Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    A few times, after my eating had been out of control for several months, I have managed to break the pattern of overeating with a three day fast. When I fast it's a true, water only fast. It does wonders for me in several ways, it breaks the bad habits, it addresses my fear of hunger, it rests my mind from food choices and failures, it gives me a feeling of cleanliness, renewal and a fresh start.

After three days, I restart with a careful 1200 calorie diet of healthy foods.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    The very rare day when I'm not hungry the next day, sure. But otherwise I just go back to my normal deficit.

I envy the people who 'are still so full from last night's dinner'.

Right? I don't understand this. LOL
  • BootCampC
    BootCampC Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    after a night out , lets say a party , I will wait 16hrs before my next meal. works for me
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    The very rare day when I'm not hungry the next day, sure. But otherwise I just go back to my normal deficit.

Right? I don't understand this. LOL

Same. I can have a epic, epic lunch and will still want dinner.
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I had a binge a few weeks ago, and the next day I fasted. I actually found it to be a relief from calorie counting, weighing food, planning out what my meals and snacks were within my calorie limits etc. I know what triggered the binge, and its more uncomfortable emotions I am dealing with rather than feeling overly restricted with my diet though. So I am not sure if I will fast tomorrow or just get back to eating in my usual calorie deficit, or if maybe I should just eat in maintenance for the next few days and give myself a break from dieting. I am going to sleep on it as its 11pm here in Sydney, so night night mfp. Will check this thread when I wake up in the morning on my way to work.
  • tjones0411
    tjones0411 Posts: 179 Member
    Options

me too! If I have an overly large meal the night before, I am STARVING in the morning.
  • hupsii
    hupsii Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    tjones0411 wrote: »

me too! If I have an overly large meal the night before, I am STARVING in the morning.

Yes - same here :-(
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Usually I just get back to eating in a 500 calorie deficit, but I am just curious about what others do

NM