Healthy on a budget

Options
2»

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Also check your local grocery circulars and apps. You can find some amazing deals.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I'm currently a full time student working two jobs and planning a wedding. any tips on saving money while trying to eat healthier. right now all we can afford and have time for is fast food so any tips would be appreciated.

Do you have a Grocery Outlet nearby? Their foods is always cheaper.

Do you have a wholesale fruit/veggie local farmer's type market nearby? We have one open year round, fresh locally grown veggies and fruits, and the veggies are always a great price.

The Dollar Store/Tree has some foods to work with too. Just be sure to check the expiration dates.

Fast food can get expensive, but there is nothing at all wrong with it. Buying food in bulk can help with expense in the long run, and cooking a crockpot of food will help time wise.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Oh and I found that sometimes small deli's or corner stores produce section Shevardnadze great deals! Wait until the Summer for amazing farmers markets and you can haggle

What is that? The only one I know of is Eduard Shevardnadze.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    kayeroze wrote: »
    Cheap meats - ground turkey, chicken (legs and thighs especially), and some frozen fish fillets (not everything has to be fresh).

Buy frozen vegetables if you don't have time to chop, but generally buying fresh is cheaper in the long run.

Fruits, you should buy seasonally. Bananas and apples are fairly consistent in price throughout the year.

Don't spend a lot on snacks, instead go for a few that week like boiled eggs, granola bars, cheese sticks, and apples.

Shop around at different grocery stores if they're available. Places like Aldi and Sprouts are great for produce, meat, and dairy.

I don't agree with the bold part. Granola bars, cheese sticks and apples can be more expensive than things like a bag of chips, or a block of cheese. Granola bars get pretty expensive too.
  • YogaBookLady37
    YogaBookLady37 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Beans and rice! Super cheap and very versatile. I know it sounds cliche, but both are very inexpensive and go a long way.
  • cfritchley26
    cfritchley26 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If you have an Aldi store nearby make sure to visit it! They have great prices, and I often fill my cart and not spend a lot.

^^^ This...I LOVE our local Aldi...we also have a great IGA. I generally go to IGA for meat bc the quality is great and they generally have great specials. This week I stocked my freezer with 2 weeks worth of meat for the price I would generally pay for half that time at Walmart.
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    fascha wrote: »
    Fast food is expensive unless you're hitting that dollar menu drive thru. Wendy's chilli is a really cheap fast food meal I love. I also find the cheapest things are my salads, English muffins, rice, bags of frozen veggies. Just shop the sales for your meat. And if all else fails, Wendy's chilli?

Even the $1 menu is relatively expensive. I can get a 5lb bag of quick oats for $2, a loaf of bread for around 99 cents, a 3-4lb bag of rice for a dollar or two, 1-2lbs of navy beans for around $2. Beans are a big staple for me. The biggest help in learning to shop frugally is learning prices. Go to multiple stores, and take note of different prices every time you shop. There are 2 stores around here that tend to be super cheap, but some things cost the same there as they do at Walmart. A pineapple at Gerbes, which is usually cheaper at Walmart, is 3 something, but you can get a nicer one at Walmart for 2 something. Once you learn prices, you can determine what good prices and bad prices are, and buy extra of shelf stable things only when the price is right. Cooking doesn't have to be time consuming. This morning after my run and putting my son on the bus, I cooked up a batch of strawberry jam, and got some black beans started soaking for chili in a few days. I'll cook them this evening, and put them in the fridge so they are ready to go. I have to leave the house before 7am.
  • buffinlovin
    buffinlovin Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    meal prep and planning is essential for me because I try and stay on a budget also :)

I know some things might be different depending on location, but here are some of my favorites:

-frozen veggies. I have Giant Foodstores in my area, and I can get a very large bag of frozen broccoli florets for about $4. I use this a lot when I prep lunches for the week because I can roast it in the oven right from frozen (400 degrees for about 30 minutes, I generally will top it with some garlic powder, salt, pepper, and occasionally grated parmesan--the same stuff you get in the spaghetti aisle :smile: ), and it covers at least 10 lunches, and usually a bit extra for snacking on the day I make it.

-Zucchini. I use this to "bulk" some meals and spread them out further. I take a standard box grater and grate the zucchini very fine. it has no flavor, really, so I add it to things like spaghetti sauce, enchiladas, hamburger BBQ, etc. Anything that I use ground meat and sauce, I will usually add grated zucchini, and occasionally diced onion.

-family pack meats. I used to buy the store brand family packs of chicken breasts (usually around $10-$15 for 5-6 very large chicken breasts), but I've switched to Perdue because I get 10-12 smaller chicken breasts for about $12-$18, and they vacuum seal 2 breasts in a bag, so I can freeze portions I don't need right away. Also pork chops tend to be budget-friendly. Same with Chicken Legs/Thighs. I don't buy a lot of beef anymore (I like the lean ground beef, and that seems to never go on sale). I do use a lot of ground turkey.

-Rice. I have a rice steamer and I can put 2 cups of rice and 3 cups of water in it and let it steam. I end up with 4 cups of beautifully fluffy rice that can accompany many meals. I can toss it in a pan with some sauce to add a little flavor. My fiance likes it plain with a little soy sauce and salt. I prefer white rice over brown.

I try and find recipes that can "flow" from one to another. Like on Sundays I prepare 10 lunches for the week (5 for me, 5 for him). I use 10 chicken breasts, but even the smaller ones are bigger than what I want to take to lunch so I trim off the tenderloin and shave a but off the bottom to make it more even. I cube them up and cook them in a recipe for dinner that night, or sometimes make some for lunch that day and the rest for dinner. That meal will get us through sunday/monday nights.

Tuesday I will make another recipe that may use the leftovers, which should get me through Tues/Wed night dinners. While that recipe is cooking, I might make something to go in the freezer.

Thursday I will make a larger meal that will get us through Thurs/Fri dinners and Saturday lunch. Saturday night we generally go out, or pick at whatever is in the fridge/freezer.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Cooking at home will always be cheaper than fast food - if you do it every meal and eat leftovers if you've got them.

I once had someone explain to me that takeout was cheaper than eating at home, and she explained she'd have to buy a bottle of ketchup and a bottle of mustard and a container of salt, etc. in order to make burgers at home. I said "But you'll use them again the next time you have burgers at home?" and she explained that since she never cooks at home, they'd never get used.

Taking my family of 4 through the drive through for dollar-menu burgers, fries, and drinks would be $12 minimum, plus tax since its prepared food. For that I can buy REALLY good ground beef, buns, a bag of nice chips, and have money left.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Eating cheap and healthy:
    1) plan your meals in advance. When you're working a lot, it helps to know what your plan is when you get home.
    2) Plan and shop only once a week or so. Too many visits to the store means more junk and snacks and money.
    3) Plan for leftovers. Cook extra when you cook so many nights you only have to assemble and/or reheat.