Why don`t people not unrack their weighs?

Options
AsrarHussain
AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
In my gym it so annoying to see this. It happens every day, it is people who do not unpack their weights or leave dumbbells on the ground causing a hazard. People who do 1-2 sets, then leave the 2 plates on the bar. It annoys me so much. It takes a minute for you to unpack it.

Does this happen in your gym? I noticed when it's the holidays people who don't usually go to the gym come in and do this. The regulars don't normally do this.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Do you ask them to put their weights away? I would! (or ask if they're finished, when they say yes, say you weren't sure as they'd left the weights on the bar..)
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Do you ask them to put their weights away? I would! (or ask if they're finished, when they say yes, say you weren't sure as they'd left the weights on the bar..)

sometimes they are gone and you see the weights not urnacked. It even says everwhere please un rack your weights. it says it everywhere.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

sometimes they are gone and you see the weights not urnacked.

You need to get better at people watching :p

And mention it to gym staff... It's something they should police.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    It's my party and I'll unrack if I want to.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    I'd kill for a gym that left 225 on a squat rack at all times...or at least 4 plates on the leg press...
  • BedsideTableKangaroo
    BedsideTableKangaroo Posts: 736 Member
    Options

this sounds like things people do that annoy you in the gym.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Err...Yeah! I'm unracking 25k weights plus others off one machine every time, every machine.I'm only 5 foot 3 and 125lbs.
  • Carillon_Campanello
    Carillon_Campanello Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I forgot to unrack the bench once this morning.

I was annoyed with myself.

This is the first time I ever remember doing it.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Mama always told me:

Brush your teeth
    Make your bed
    Rack your weights
  • omakase619
    omakase619 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I always put my Dumbbells away but I don't unrack unless I put a ton of weight on the bar and someone wants to use the bench after me. No one seems to be upset as op and I enjoy unracking myself so it doesn't bother me.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    omakase619 wrote: »
    I always put my Dumbbells away but I don't unrack unless I put a ton of weight on the bar and someone wants to use the bench after me. No one seems to be upset as op and I enjoy unracking myself so it doesn't bother me.

Respectfully. .. it is good form to always rack your weights.

On Sunday, I unloaded the leg press by racking several 45 plates because there was an elderly lady looking to use the equipment without adding any weight at all.

Somebody had loaded it up with weight that she was unable to lift / rack on her own.

You never know the age or ability of the next individual looking to use the station.

It's also good to rack the weights as an indicator that the bench or rack is now available.
  • liftingmomlife
    liftingmomlife Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

On Sunday, I unloaded the leg press by racking several 45 plates because there was an elderly lady looking to use the equipment without adding any weight at all.

Somebody had loaded it up with weight that she was unable to lift / rack on her own.

You never know the age or ability of the next individual looking to use the station.

It's also good to rack the weights as an indicator that the bench or rack is now available.

^^ this.
  • IVMay
    IVMay Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Selfish people and the unaware. No concept of putting things back where they found them for other peoples use.
  • LiftingRiot
    LiftingRiot Posts: 6,952 Member
    Options
    I thought I was doing you a favor by leaving the weights on there
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    IVMay wrote: »
    Selfish people and the unaware. No concept of putting things back where they found them for other peoples use.

I also think it's an issue of simply not knowing gym etiquette.

I've trained at a gym in Southwest Phoenix, which is the Barrio.

The people there are great, however I believe many of them have never set foot in a gym before and lack the etiquette that many of us take for granted.
  • omakase619
    omakase619 Posts: 226 Member
    Options

You'll hate my gym then. The only people I see unrack are like two nice friendly females and a buff dude that uses a ton of plates. Lol even the guy that works there doesn't unrack. But you made a good point l will start to unrack
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,584 Member
    Options
    In my gym it so annoying to see this. It happens every day, it is people who do not unpack their weights or leave dumbbells on the ground causing a hazard. People who do 1-2 sets, then leave the 2 plates on the bar. It annoys me so much. It takes a minute for you to unpack it.

Does this happen in your gym? I noticed when it's the holidays people who don't usually go to the gym come in and do this. The regulars don't normally do this.
    I address it every time I see it. I go up to the person and politely let them know that our policy is to unrack any plates because not all people can remove them off the equipment and thereby keeps them from accessibility to using it. It's usually not a big problem in my gym EXCEPT when teenagers who aren't regular come in.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,584 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    I'd kill for a gym that left 225 on a squat rack at all times...or at least 4 plates on the leg press...
    The average 24 hour Fitness, this is a common sight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Motorsheen
    Options

You'll hate my gym then. The only people I see unrack are like two nice friendly females and a buff dude that uses a ton of plates. Lol even the guy that works there doesn't unrack. But you made a good point l will start to unrack

Thank you for the reply.

Sometimes I'll use racking weights as a cool down or taking an active break while training.

Like I mentioned above, I sometimes visit a west side gym and it looks like a bomb has gone off on the floor.... plates and dumbbells everywhere.
  • IVMay
    IVMay Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    IVMay wrote: »

I also think it's an issue of simply not knowing gym etiquette.

I've trained at a gym in Southwest Phoenix, which is the Barrio.

The people there are great, however I believe many of them have never set foot in a gym before and lack the etiquette that many of us take for granted.

Yes. You're right. I guess when these places induct and register them up - it's not always made clear or they forget due to being told a multitude of things - especially if it's their first gym environment. However you'd think a bit of watching and noticing behaviours and etiquette wouldn't take long to figure out? Oh well

Completely agree.

It never bothered me apart from the whole issue of "finding the other one" amongst a load of them and often you're disurbing somebody else hovering around their bench while you're hovering arond like a vulture/seagull looking for the correct weight....