Pre-Workout Drinks are a scam

BHFF
BHFF Posts: 421 Member
I'm sure most of you will disagree with me on this but hear me out. Only over the past couple or three years have pre-workouts become really popular. 4 to 5 years ago people really weren't drinking pre-workouts and you never really heard much about them.
It's funny that people go to the gym to get healthy yet they put in a ton of caffeine and other garbage prior to going to the place they are trying to get healthy. I understand everyone is "Tired" but there are better ways of going about getting a spike of energy than drinking these chemically induced high caffeine drinks. Oatmeal, rice cakes, an apple just to name a few. Much healthier for you, loaded with energy that is not caffeine which is a major bonus. Just my two cents.

Replies

• liftingmomlife
    liftingmomlife Posts: 47 Member
    Kimo159 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say they are a "scam" per se. To me scam implies that it doesn't work. They're meant to increase energy and get a great workout in, the few I've had were definitely effective in that regard. Many also have creatine which can help someone bang out a few extra reps. I personally don't take a preworkout anymore because I agree that it's probably not great for you and I can usually get a good workout in without, using whole foods as a preworkout meal, as suggested. If someone's consistently tired and "needs" a pre workout drink to get a good workout in then they should ask themselves why they are tired. Not enough sleep? Inadequate calories/nutrition? Stress? Over training?

exactly! i did keto for a good part of the last year, which helped me drop most of the weight. however, i neeever had energy for my workouts! i used pre-workout a lot more than than i do now. adding (mostly healthy) carbs back into my diet has helped in the energy department SO much and i feel tons better after. i have energy for HOURS after, versus feeling a crash-like feeling after the pre has completely worn off.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I think they are a bit of a fad for sure...and I think the average gym goer isn't going to particularly get much benefit. The only people I know who seem to really benefit are the one's who are training basically as their livelihood...like basically their job is to workout 6 hours + per day.
  • BHFF
    I know there are far better options than the chemicals and obscene ammt of caffeine in them. Nothing about them promotes health yet we go to the gym to be healthy. And I disagree with the effectiveness of them. How many people do you know take 2x 3x the reccomended servings... most. Your body adapts to it just like anything else and 1 scoop turns to 2, to 3.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    BHFF wrote: »
    I know there are far better options than the chemicals and obscene ammt of caffeine in them. Nothing about them promotes health yet we go to the gym to be healthy. And I disagree with the effectiveness of them. How many people do you know take 2x 3x the reccomended servings... most. Your body adapts to it just like anything else and 1 scoop turns to 2, to 3.

Off topic but is your profile picture actually you?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    I think they are a fad. So many people are drinking them because they believe it's improving their performance to the point that if they don't take it, it's part of the blame.
    IMO, if people are tired, it's more likely because of lack of rest. Unless someone have a physically demanding job, attitude approach is more of the difference maker. Most of the time, I LOOK FORWARD to hitting the gym and want to kill it when I work out. Days I don't, it probably doesn't matter if I had a pre work blast or not.
    All in all, I'm not against them. I just think people OVERPAY for just some strong caffeine boost.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • BHFF
    I know there are far better options than the chemicals and obscene ammt of caffeine in them. Nothing about them promotes health yet we go to the gym to be healthy. And I disagree with the effectiveness of them. How many people do you know take 2x 3x the reccomended servings... most. Your body adapts to it just like anything else and 1 scoop turns to 2, to 3.[/quote

I have more than one pic and yes it's me
    Check my YouTube channel out you'll see I'm real.
  • BHFF
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    You keep assuming people go to the gym to be/get healthy...

Also... "better" is relative, and HUGELY subjective.

While I kind of sort of think I agree with the intent of your post, I generally disagree with everything you've said.

Better is not relative when you're talking about real and healthy food in place of chemicals and caffeine
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    My pre-workout is usually a cup of coffee... I already get up at 4:30 to go to the gym and cannot work out when there is food in my stomach (and no, I will not get up at 4:00 just to put some food in my stomach before going). I agree, tho, that most of the effect is simply a placebo.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member

While I kind of sort of think I agree with the intent of your post, I generally disagree with everything you've said.

Better is not relative when you're talking about real and healthy food in place of chemicals and caffeine

Everything is made up of chemicals. The coffee that's coloring my water is made of chemicals.
  • BHFF
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    My pre-workout is usually a cup of coffee... I already get up at 4:30 to go to the gym and cannot work out when there is food in my stomach (and no, I will not get up at 4:00 just to put some food in my stomach before going). I agree, tho, that most of the effect is simply a placebo.
    Thanks for the comment! I agree with you and I understand the need for something when you get up that early! I'm up at 4am for work but train after work
  • kclaar11
    kclaar11 Posts: 162 Member

I will have to find the citations, but I am pretty sure there are some benefits to caffeine to the point that a certain amount per day is actually recommended.
  • musclesandmusic866
    musclesandmusic866 Posts: 1,396 Member

That's what I was wondering too! I could be wrong (but I don't think so since it's fairly easy to spot) but it looks like chemicals are involved.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    kclaar11 wrote: »

I will have to find the citations, but I am pretty sure there are some benefits to caffeine to the point that a certain amount per day is actually recommended.

Caffeine also helps with nutrient uptake. Probably only applicable when nutrient timing matters, but still worth noting.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    edited April 2017
    I use pre-workout when I'm eating in a deficit and don't want to use any of my precious calories at 4:30am prior to my 5am workouts. I've not needed to use more than the recommended dosage, and I cycle off during rest weeks.

My history includes 20 years (on an off) of setting my alarm to get up in the morning to exercise and pushing snooze saying, "I'll start tomorrow." Then three years ago, one of the many changes I made was using pre-workout. So many times I wanted to hit that snooze but I knew once I got that in my system, up and moving, I'd be fine. Honestly, I think pre-workout deserves some credit in my transformation to becoming a much healthier person. That could just be the addiction talking, though. Any excuse!

Edit for spelling correction.
  • BHFF

Off topic but is your profile picture actually you? [/quote]

That's what I was wondering too! I could be wrong (but I don't think so since it's fairly easy to spot) but it looks like chemicals are involved.
    [/quote]

Are you guys talking about "steroid usage" you can say it you know lol
  • BHFF
    leajas1 wrote: »
    I use pre-workout when I'm eating in a deficit and don't want to use any of my precious calories at 4:30am prior to my 5am workouts. I've not needed to use more than the recommended dosage, and I cycle off during rest weeks.

My history includes 20 years (on an off) of setting my alarm to get up in the morning to exercise and pushing snooze saying, "I'll start tomorrow." Then three years ago, one of the many changes I made was using pre-workout. So many times I wanted to hit that snooze but I knew once I got that in my system, up and moving, I'd be fine. Honestly, I think pre-workout deserves some credit in my transformation to becoming a much healthier person. That could just be the addiction talking, though. Any excuse!

Edit for spelling correction.
    I did get a laugh out of the addicted part lol. I don't disagree that when you're watching calories a bowl of oatmeal might be out of the question lol