Just starting back at the gym - Nervous

Options
I got sick back in October and stopped going to the gym. I was trying to do the SL 5x5 but always felt that I wasn't doing enough. I always felt lost in the gym. Now I joined a new gym by me and I'm so nervous to walk in there not knowing where to start. I signed up for their les mills GRIT program which starts next week. Of course now I'm afraid I'm too out of shape for it but I'm hoping it will help to meet new people. I plan on going to the gym this Friday, and I don't know where to start.

Replies

• liftingmomlife
    liftingmomlife Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    sometimes gyms offer a complimentary session with one of their trainers! see if yours does. that way he/she can show you the ropes a little and/or at least set you in the right direction. good luck!
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Just start with a plan. Doesnt matter what, but decide in advance. If it is a new gym to you, and you want to do some weight lifting, do you want to work upper or lower, or perhaps a body part like back? Once you decide that, look up some various exercises you can do, write it down, and then do it. There are lots of sites that can provide guidance for machines and free wights. SL 5x5 is great, but if you are nervous about starting it your first day at the new gym, start off slower. To be comfortable, have a plan. Good luck and have fun!

And don't worry about being too out of shape for a program. They will have people of all different fitness levels. Just do the best YOU can do, and don't worry about what the best someone else can do is. It isn't a competition.
  • adamgoleafs87
    adamgoleafs87 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I got sick back in October and stopped going to the gym. I was trying to do the SL 5x5 but always felt that I wasn't doing enough. I always felt lost in the gym. Now I joined a new gym by me and I'm so nervous to walk in there not knowing where to start. I signed up for their les mills GRIT program which starts next week. Of course now I'm afraid I'm too out of shape for it but I'm hoping it will help to meet new people. I plan on going to the gym this Friday, and I don't know where to start.

When I started out at the gym originally about 4 years ago I was in the same boat. I really wanted to get into the spin classes but thought I would make myself look like a fool. I ended up doing it and got hooked.

I still however have anxiety going to the gym for certain things. The 5x5 program is something I've wanted to start for a few months now but have consistently put it off because I feel like I am going to look like an idiot, especially since they suggest starting with an empty bar.

I am going tonight however, it will be a little later but honestly feeling like crap all the time is starting to outweigh my gym anxiety.

• kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I too was anxious about joining my local gym. I've been going to gyms for years but confidence was very low and I was totally unhappy with myself. But we all have to start somewhere. 6 months on I totally love it and though I'm not a morning person I get up at 5.30am three days a week, plus a few evening classes. Take baby steps and the progress will motivate you to keep at it. I would recommend a session or two with a trainer to get a plan.
  • Italiana_xx79
    Italiana_xx79 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Thank you @Barbonica, I am going to think of a few exercises to start with on Friday and then take it from there.

I know as soon as I get over being the new person and not looking so lost, it will get better.

@adamgoleafs87 - I used to do the 5x5 at the YMCA gym which wasn't as intimidating but now that I am at a gym that looks like only pros attend, I am so nervous to load the weights. I might have to start with th bar again.
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I think that most people at the gym, especially experienced lifters, appreciate when someone knows their limitations. They all know that heavy is relative, and starting with the bar is smart. Good luck!
  • pattyocc22
    pattyocc22 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just remember everyone starts somewhere. Have a game plan ready when you go in there. You can check out ketogains for a 5x5 novice workout. Try that on Friday so you get the lay of the gym.
  • ocrXfitter
    ocrXfitter Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I've been going to the gym consistently for quite a few years now but decided to switch to a different gym. I'm in really good shape and have a plan, but starting at the new gym this past Monday I was still terrified. I ended up doing my thing and everyone left me alone. I was nervous for nothing!
  • Italiana_xx79
    Options
    I will have to look up ketogains. Thanks!
  • Italiana_xx79
    Options
    I know I just have to get day one over with, I'm just surprised on how nervous and out of place that I feel.
  • adamgoleafs87
    adamgoleafs87 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I loved the Y, found it much easier to go there. I didn't mind the old Goodlife I went to before either, my new gym closer to my house however is smaller and maybe why I feel more anxious. I'm going to deal with it tonight and see how it goes, I feel like after the first time I will be fine.

How did you like 5x5?
  • fitbethlin
    fitbethlin Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    The 5x5 program is something I've wanted to start for a few months now but have consistently put it off because I feel like I am going to look like an idiot, especially since they suggest starting with an empty bar.

Legit lifters will be impressed by anyone that comes in consistently. No one cares if you have heavy weights on the bar or not. Eventually the regulars will notice that you're a regular too.

I had someone once go find my husband and tell him they were impressed by my dedication in the squat rack and by my form. I was doing incredibly light squats and I wasn't even going all the way - doing box squats instead of full. I was the weakest woman among the regulars. But I got high fived by a stranger on a day when I set my PR.

Now the fact that someone feels like they should congratulate my husband (who was working out at the other end of the gym) about my success rather than me makes me feel icky, but at least it demonstrates that people don't pay as much attention to the weight you lift as they do to the fact that you come in regularly. And use good form.

• Italiana_xx79
    Options
    @adamgoleafs87 - I really enjoyed the 5x5. It was My first experience with weight lifting and I liked how I could see my progress in the form of the weight increasing which made me feel like I was doing well. I then started adding accessories to the 5x5 because I felt like there were so many other exercises that I was missing out on and then I became to overwhelmed with all of the options. I am going to just start with the basic 5x5 for now and start with just the bar. Hopefully the gym won't be packed on Friday