Running low on motivation the farther I go.

Bit of a vent post, sorry.

So I have been doing Jillian Michaels Body Revolution for 7 and a half weeks now. Prior, I never really exercised. I'm not in terrible shape, but I am not happy when i look in the mirror. I have a healthy BMI, but i was creeping out of that very quickly it. Im very good at starting, just not so great at finishing a program.

The way the program is built is that every two weeks the workouts getting progressively harder. A Phase consists of a month of two sets of workouts. For example, Mondays I do WO 1, Tuesdays I do WO2, Wednesdays I do Cardio 1. I repeat this Thurs, Fri and Sat. I do that for two weeks. Then move on to WO 3 & 4 and mimic. Anyway, enough explaining how the program works..

This is my final week of doing Phase 2. Push ups are tough, I am far from good at those, even this far in. Planks suck, but I am getting them done. Lunges SUCK but I am keeping up and knocking them out. Warrior 3 pose with weights is death, but getting a little stronger by the day. Overall, coming near the end of Phase 2, I still can keep up with the Jillian and crew and don't have to pause the DVD's at all.

Next week starts Phase 3 which is WO's 9 & 10 which are to be done for two weeks, then followed by WO's 11 & 12 to be done for 3 weeks.

I'm absolutely terrified of starting Phase 3.

I cant even properly complete crow pushups now. I have to add in some modifiers here and there. The horror stories of Phase 3 almost have me feeling down, instead of feeling excited about coming near the end. I heard there are alot of pushups and planks, and they are intermediate to advanced workouts.

Now I know someone may recommend to wait til i feel stronger, but thats not how this program is set up, or meant to go. Its on a schedule and so far I have sticked to that schedule 100%, and will continue to. I was terrified to start Phase 2 prior, but it wasnt that bad! Hopefully its the same occurrence with Phase 3, but I just cant seem to find the excitement or motivation to feel ready for it.

Next Monday I will certainly begin Phase 3, I guess my nerves are just making me dread these last 5 weeks. I havent missed a single workout yet, so Phase 3 isnt the time to start doing that, but I just am lacking that little umph I feel like I have had prior. Somewhat feel like I can't do it. I can and I will, but just have this nagging "its going to be too hard" feeling.

Okay, venting about lack of motivation is over.

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Dave Draper said something like 'Any lifting done badly is better than no lifting done perfectly.' I suppose that applies to any exercise as well. Just keep moving.
  • croftie4
    croftie4 Posts: 221 Member
    I find I'm more successful if I enjoy what I'm doing. I've ditched some classes because it felt like a chore to complete.
    I use kettlebell almost everyday and really love those very time efficient and delivering great results.

So maybe see what else is out there until you find something you really enjoy
  • kenzienal
    kenzienal Posts: 205 Member
    Dave Draper said something like 'Any lifting done badly is better than no lifting done perfectly.' I suppose that applies to any exercise as well. Just keep moving.

I really needed that like you have no idea. I keep telling myself that since my pushups arent all the way to the ground, or in perfect form, that I am not doing anything since its not right. I need to remind myself of that quote you just said. I go as far as I can til it hurts like all get out, and then lift back up. Its gotta count for something.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Just keep going. Even if it's tough and you "hate it" you'll get a ton out of it. Once you finish the program you can always go back and repeat the harder sections, right? And I totally agree that a lousy push up, or even doing one for every two that they do, is better than being too afraid of failure to even start the final phases! You know you can do this. Many people probably give up at this point. Don't be one of them!
  • shellyld2016
    shellyld2016 Posts: 288 Member
    Add modifications if you need to. Your form is important to avoid injury. You will still get stronger. Remember that if you hurt yourself you are not going to be able to do it at all.
    However I would keep going because for me finishing what I start is gratifying.
    Motivation will come and go. Let determination drive you.
  • kenzienal
    Motivation will come and go. Let determination drive you.

That is exactly what has driven me this far.
  • colboh67
    colboh67 Posts: 3 Member
    You rock! Look at you!! You're seeing improvement with what you've done so far. Just wait until you're finished the program. You'll look back and wonder what you were worried about. It has to be hard to start or what's the point? You've got this!!
  • kenzienal
    You rock! Look at you!! You're seeing improvement with what you've done so far. Just wait until you're finished the program. You'll look back and wonder what you were worried about. It has to be hard to start or what's the point? You've got this!!

Ahh thank you thank you, i needed to hear that little pep from someone other than the mirror today.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Being in shape is not about how you look, it is about endurance and what you can actually DO.

If you have never exercised, then you are not in shape. Give yourself some time to work up to completing the next step. You might want to repeat your current phase of the program and then try the next step later when you are more ready.
  • kenzienal
    kenzienal wrote: »
    Now I know someone may recommend to wait til i feel stronger, but thats not how this program is set up, or meant to go. Its on a schedule and so far I have sticked to that schedule 100%, and will continue to. I was terrified to start Phase 2 prior, but it wasnt that bad! Hopefully its the same occurrence with Phase 3, but I just cant seem to find the excitement or motivation to feel ready for it.
    Being in shape is not about how you look, it is about endurance and what you can actually DO.

If you have never exercised, then you are not in shape. Give yourself some time to work up to completing the next step. You might want to repeat your current phase of the program and then try the next step later when you are more ready.

I mentioned this already. This program is on a strict schedule, and I have no intentions of altering that schedule. I can get through all the workouts. I can knock out the reps. Its just some things I am less confident on than others.

Pushups I CAN do. Can I do it as fast as the class on the DVD does? Sorta kinda. Can i get as low as they all get? Not always. Can I do it with one leg in the air as recommended? Nope. But she doesnt offer modifiers for nothing.

She actually states many times throughout these workouts "You CAN do this, you are ready even though you may not feel like you are. Do your best and do what you can. If you can't keep up thats fine, just DONT STOP MOVING"

If they intended their viewers to alter the schedule to their fit, or repeat a phase until they felt "ready", this program wouldnt accomplish what it does.

Sometimes physically being ready and mentally being ready are two different places. I am not mentally ready.

Also, I said, i "never really exercised". That does not mean I have no muscle and a fat blob of nothing. I walk very frequently, avid hunter, horse back rider, would run here and there. By never really exercising, I meant I have never been on a schedule or exercise regime.

And I disagree, being in shape is half about how you look. Its about endurance/toning/strength abilities also.

But thanks, appreciate your words of encouragement.
  • gininme
    gininme Posts: 16 Member
    I love Jillian.I have started the revolution over from the beginning maybe 5 times now and it never gets old. I have yet to finish but that's ok. Reading your posts have inspired me. And yep, to start from number one again. I'm 62 yrs old, l don't go real low on my push ups but I do them. And that is good enough. We got this.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    I'm into my 4th year of logging, exercising, etc...and believe me- You HAVE to change things up and really challenge yourself once in awhile because boredom, lack of enthusiasm, and just a general sense of "meh" or doubt creeps in.

I have the three Ds that I follow:

Determination
    Dedication
    Discipline

If you have determination, you'll find you're more dedicated to your desired outcome, and you find that it requires discipline to stick with it.

Now...GO GET PHASE 3!! You most definitely can do it!! Prove it to yourself. :)
  • kenzienal
    gininme wrote: »
    I love Jillian.I have started the revolution over from the beginning maybe 5 times now and it never gets old. I have yet to finish but that's ok. Reading your posts have inspired me. And yep, to start from number one again. I'm 62 yrs old, l don't go real low on my push ups but I do them. And that is good enough. We got this.

I love her too! Its like she knows just when i am thinking I can, because she gets yelling "You can do this!" and it motivates me to finish. Workout 7 so far has been the only workout I havent completely rocked, because of all these weird style push ups. The crow pushups are just hard. Mentally, also. How the heck do i get my knee to my elbow and push up at the same time? Lol

We can definitely do this! If you need any support, feel free to add me!
    I'm into my 4th year of logging, exercising, etc...and believe me- You HAVE to change things up and really challenge yourself once in awhile because boredom, lack of enthusiasm, and just a general sense of "meh" or doubt creeps in.

I have the three Ds that I follow:

Determination
    Dedication
    Discipline

If you have determination, you'll find you're more dedicated to your desired outcome, and you find that it requires discipline to stick with it.

Now...GO GET PHASE 3!! You most definitely can do it!! Prove it to yourself. :)

I cant wait to change it up. After this program is over, its definitely back to the gym, and since the weather is getting nicer, back to outside running. Luckily this program changes every two weeks so it isnt TOO boring, but by the end of the second week, I am over it lol.

Phase 3 begins next Monday. I have WO7 tonight, WO8 tomorrow night and Cardio 2 Saturday. Then a much needed rest day Sunday!

Then I begin my final leg of this three month journey!

Thank you all for your motivation, I am finally started to feel like its exciting because I really am so close to the end. Especially when I have never before been able to complete a program like this.

• Iron_Jaycee
    Iron_Jaycee Posts: 14 Member
    Hang in there sis
  • EmbeeKay
    EmbeeKay Posts: 249 Member
    Have you noticed any changes in your body at all? Either aesthetic OR increases in strength? If you haven't, that's not meant to discourage you... but when I am balking at a workout I like to think, "I AM seeing more definition in my upper body," or "I wasn't able to complete all those reps six months ago but now I am knocking them out of the park PLUS adding weights," and it psychs me up to go hit it hard another time. Focus on any small change that you've seen, and tackle Phase 3 like a tiger!
  • kenzienal
    EmbeeKay wrote: »
    Have you noticed any changes in your body at all? Either aesthetic OR increases in strength? If you haven't, that's not meant to discourage you... but when I am balking at a workout I like to think, "I AM seeing more definition in my upper body," or "I wasn't able to complete all those reps six months ago but now I am knocking them out of the park PLUS adding weights," and it psychs me up to go hit it hard another time. Focus on any small change that you've seen, and tackle Phase 3 like a tiger!

Absolutely. I havent seen the weight changes or loss of 15 inches instantly that we all wish for, but my hips have lost an inch, my core is SO much stronger, and my arms are definitely stronger/toned. I really can tell I have built muscle.

My personal best 5k time prior to this workout was a 38.44min race. Halfway through this workout, I ran a 5k and timed in at 33.38min race. So there has been obvious enhancements to my body from this so far. Breathing, balance, muscle strength, stamina. Most of all, the dedication from it has inspired me to push on, even after the program is up.

So even though my pushups are not the deepest, and planks still make me want to cry, I have been giving my all and have reaped some benefits that definitely keep pushing me to finish.

I think I am ready to tackle Phase 3 mentally now, thanks to everyone here!
  • LearningToFly13
    LearningToFly13 Posts: 329 Member

Exactly. When you can do what you're currently doing without too much discomfort...then move on to something more challenging. When you're struggling at the current level.. it makes no sense whatsoever to move on to something harder. Form matters. Master what your doing before you try something harder.
  • janieb67
    janieb67 Posts: 6 Member
    I got through level 8 and felt the same way as you! I restarted at level 1 then made it through 12 the second time around. I felt kind of give-uppy but it worked for me. I didn't want to dread it! You can always just push through and do the best you can :)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Modifications are there for a reason!
  • kenzienal
    janieb67 wrote: »
    I got through level 8 and felt the same way as you! I restarted at level 1 then made it through 12 the second time around. I felt kind of give-uppy but it worked for me. I didn't want to dread it! You can always just push through and do the best you can :)

I just finished week 8, and missed my first workout. I was sick to my stomach with stress yesterday and did not complete my cardio workout. But I am not going to let that keep me down. Im still on track with all my strength training workouts and I will just keep on going. At the very end of 12, I will through in an extra Cardio day to make up for it.
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Modifications are there for a reason!

Thank you! That is why i dont want to start over yet. Jillian frequently says, "Dont give up! If you cant do it, do the modification, just dont give up!"