Please help confused

Options
Burned 1800 cals in gym today. Put it in my diary and its telling me to eat 420g of protein shen my macros are 45% protein 25% carb and 30% fat?
Anytime i put exercise in the alp goes crazy. Is this correct or is there a general consensus on what approx ur values shud be after a workout. I worked hard today, did cardio then weightlifting just under 2 hours.

Thx

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    How did you calculate 1800 calories burned?

^ Agreed. That burn sounds really inflated.
  • BHFF
    BHFF Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    eddyr2007 wrote: »
    Burned 1800 cals in gym today. Put it in my diary and its telling me to eat 420g of protein shen my macros are 45% protein 25% carb and 30% fat?
    Anytime i put exercise in the alp goes crazy. Is this correct or is there a general consensus on what approx ur values shud be after a workout. I worked hard today, did cardio then weightlifting just under 2 hours.

Thx

Like the people above mentioned, there is no possible way you burned 1800 cal
    Something certainly is wrong. I do however often wonder why people get so caught up in how many calories they burn at the gym. If you truly are working your *kitten* off at the gym, truly are giving it everything you have that's all you can ask for. That's all you can do. It doesn't matter how many calories you burn if you're working out as hard as you possibly can. You won't be able to burn anymore because you've already worked out as hard as you can. Sometimes I wish people would focus on their training as opposed to how many calories they're burning
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    What cardio did you do for 2 hours that had you burn 1800?
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Under goals You can turn off "add back exercise" calories or customize the percentages of how they get added back.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Under goals You can turn off "add back exercise" calories or customize the percentages of how they get added back.

Only if you pay for premium
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,863 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    You told the app to tell you that when you set your protein goal at 45%. When 1800 exercise calories are added, 45% of them will be put under protein. 203 grams of protein were added to your base protein goal because

1800 x 0.45 / 4 = 202.5

That's why it's better to aim for a fixed protein goal like 0.8 grams of protein per pound of your ideal weight rather than a percentage of your calories.

This. People will argue for anything from 0.4-1.2g protein per pound of a healthy body weight. (You may see this expressed in various ways, as g/lb of lean body mass (LBM); or as g/kg of weight or LBM, but - we hope - whoever's doing the recommending has adjusted the figures to mean what they say).

Many people don't have an accurate way to estimate LBM, so I usually suggest - based on my own reading of research, i.e., only my opinion - 0.6-1.0g minimum protein per pound of healthy goal weight. (Use healthy goal weight as the base, not current weight - we don't need protein to maintain our fat mass, only our lean mass.) Research suggests we need more than US RDA protein when losing weight, when working out (especially strength-building), and as we age, and extra protein within reason won't hurt a healthy person.

Yes, free MFP uses percentages. I just set my percents to get close to the macro levels I want at base (pre-exercise) calories, then eat to those gram goals even when I exercise as usual and MFP claims I need more.

Same deal for fats: I go for a minimum around .45g/pound of goal weight, as much of it as possible from healthy sources, and some with each meal.

I also try for an absolute minimum of 5 servings of fruit/veg daily for micros/fiber (usually get 10+).

I just let carbs fall where they may, to stay within calorie goal.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    BHFF wrote: »

Thx

Like the people above mentioned, there is no possible way you burned 1800 cal
    Something certainly is wrong. I do however often wonder why people get so caught up in how many calories they burn at the gym. If you truly are working your *kitten* off at the gym, truly are giving it everything you have that's all you can ask for. That's all you can do. It doesn't matter how many calories you burn if you're working out as hard as you possibly can. You won't be able to burn anymore because you've already worked out as hard as you can. Sometimes I wish people would focus on their training as opposed to how many calories they're burning

People care because they work out so they can eat more, and they want to know how much more they can eat. It has nothing to do with whether they're working hard or not.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    1800 calories? Really? I burn less than half that running 10k. Methinks something is awry here.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »
    1800 calories? Really? I burn less than half that running 10k. Methinks something is awry here.

I would have to run 24 MILES, almost 40k, to burn that. :s
  • eddyr2007
    eddyr2007 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You told the app to tell you that when you set your protein goal at 45%. When 1800 exercise calories are added, 45% of them will be put under protein. 203 grams of protein were added to your base protein goal because

1800 x 0.45 / 4 = 202.5

That's why it's better to aim for a fixed protein goal like 0.8 grams of protein per pound of your ideal weight rather than a percentage of your calories.

But the grams are a premium feature. My LBM is around 176lbs... so i must aim for this but when i exercise it increases surely?

So what im asking is if its 0.8 per pound etc what is it after intense exercise or does not it not change?

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options

1800 x 0.45 / 4 = 202.5

But the grams are a premium feature. My LBM is around 176lbs... so i must aim for this but when i exercise it increases surely?

So what im asking is if its 0.8 per pound etc what is it after intense exercise or does not it not change?

Your protein goal doesn't need to change with exercise. The RDA for men is 56 grams so 176ish grams already gives you plenty of buffer.
  • Niples_
    Niples_ Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yeah just use your 176 as minimal. Probably 200 as a goal when you are on a deficit. Think about it. Do you really want to eat back all the calories you worked off? Not to mention, when calories burned gets over estimated you will be at a surplus.