Flatter stomach..abs❤

Options
Just recently started working on my core more as that's one area I really struggle with been working out for 2 years but never really focusing on my stomach and since my daughter was born 13 years ago my stomach muscles are still very weak I had a c section and this week been trying to work my core and the pain is unreal my muscles just seem dead in that area will I ever be able to get my stomach completely flat again X

Replies

• ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer to your question, but maybe you should try to do some planks. Start with few seconds (maybe 10) and slowly increase the time. I've been doing planks and that has been helping me a lot (specially for my posture).
  • liftingmomlife
    liftingmomlife Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    "Abs are made in the kitchen." <---- I heard that somewhere lol I really can't say because I haven't quite gotten there myself yet... BUT! I do know low carb and extra cardio will help you lean out. Lotsa water. Working your core for sure for definition and growth. It may not feel like you're doing much, but just really try to focus on engaging them when you work 'em! Good luck!
  • skinnycow1234567
    skinnycow1234567 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Pain is weakness leaving the body...Keep at it,and the results will come..You just need to strengthen your core..IMO
  • ty_lashae_5
    ty_lashae_5 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I too struggle with this. It seems nothing I do helps. Add me for friendship and my journey to have a flatter stomach

• Spiffy_Barbarella
    Spiffy_Barbarella Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Look into the Tracy Anderson Method post-pregnancy DVD (Even though you had your daughter 13 years ago). Her workouts are really good for strengthening the core and toning abs.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Google diastasis recti before beginning ab work post pregnancy - this is where the abdominal muscles separate during pregnancy and don't come back together properly. It's fairly common, and if you go back to regular ab workout with diastasis recti you can give yourself all sorts of problems. There are ab exercises you can/should be doing to fix the issue before getting back to regular workouts.
  • Dr_HD
    Dr_HD Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I believe it's important to monitor your body lean/fat composition using a "smart" scale like Fitbit's Aria.
    To have a flat abdomen you'll need to reach to <15% body fat. (For males its 9%)
    Flat stomach is 80% made in the kitchen. There is a lot of good material readily available to read if you just google it.
    To strengthen your core you don't need to do crunches. You need to do lots of cardio and work on your upper and lower body - but at the end of the day it flat abdomen is only really flat once your reach 15% body fat which needs dedication, patience, and above all believing that it's possible.

Here is a picture of my body lean/fat % I've the last few years
    x4cj49krn71h.png
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Abs are a multi-faceted issue. Not only do you have to have low enough body fat, but you also need good body composition and some help from genetics. So it's not just about being lean, but also having enough developed muscle to achieve that goal. And this is why it's not too uncommon to see people who are underweight that still have stomach fat issues.

Also, if you went from not direct ab work, to a crazy ab ripper type workout, then I can certainly understand your issues.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I too struggle with this. It seems nothing I do helps. Add me for friendship and my journey to have a flatter stomach

Depending on how lean you are and what type of exercise you are doing, you may have to either get more lean or add more muscle.
  • HayleyThorpe2
    HayleyThorpe2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone for all your helpful advice
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    The guideline is: abs are made in the gym and revealed in the kitchen! OP says does weak in her abs, the kitchen won't fix strength.