"Learning" to deadlift

Options
TheSavatron
TheSavatron Posts: 18 Member
edited April 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Is there any way to make sure you have the right form, or "teach" yourself how, without just having someone experienced nearby? I've read a ton of articles, watched a ton of videos, and felt like I was ready to begin. Started with a relatively low weight, just to make SURE I had form down. It was challenging, but not impossible... and then today, my low back is killing me. I can only assume I was arching my back, or lifting my hips too soon, or just generally didn't have the correct form... but how can I figure that out if I don't have someone watching me? And how can I make sure it doesn't happen again?

Replies

• kellysmith410
    kellysmith410 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    To be completely honest, I really didn't start deadlifting correctly until I had a coach help me how to do it, and also make sure you're working on building up your core muscles as well to brace correctly and protect your spine.

Check out Alan Thrall on Youtube, he has a couple of AWESOME deadlifting videos to help you with setup, where your hips should be, etc.

If it's in your budget maybe a session or two with a trainer? I know it's not realistic for everyone but ever since I started working with a coach my low back pain has pretty much gone away after an injury and I'm deadlifitng more than I ever have.

Good luck!!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

There are some really good videos in the above thread on form, but a coach or taking video and posting it in the bellow thread for feedback might not be a bad idea.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10315462/squat-bench-deadlift-snatch-c-j-post-your-best-videos#latest
  • TheSavatron
    Options
    To be completely honest, I really didn't start deadlifting correctly until I had a coach help me how to do it, and also make sure you're working on building up your core muscles as well to brace correctly and protect your spine.

Check out Alan Thrall on Youtube, he has a couple of AWESOME deadlifting videos to help you with setup, where your hips should be, etc.

If it's in your budget maybe a session or two with a trainer? I know it's not realistic for everyone but ever since I started working with a coach my low back pain has pretty much gone away after an injury and I'm deadlifitng more than I ever have.

Good luck!!

Thanks- I'm not working out at a gym right now, though. My toddler has decided he HATES being there, so I was only getting to work out on weekends. Rather than pay the expensive membership fee, I canceled my membership and spent the money on weights. So now I'm lifting from home.... which is totally fine, until I have questions like this.
  • TheSavatron
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

There are some really good videos in the above thread on form, but a coach or taking video and posting it in the bellow thread for feedback might not be a bad idea.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10315462/squat-bench-deadlift-snatch-c-j-post-your-best-videos#latest

Thanks, I'll start reading!
  • kellysmith410
    kellysmith410 Posts: 58 Member
    Options

Good luck!!

Thanks- I'm not working out at a gym right now, though. My toddler has decided he HATES being there, so I was only getting to work out on weekends. Rather than pay the expensive membership fee, I canceled my membership and spent the money on weights. So now I'm lifting from home.... which is totally fine, until I have questions like this.

Yeah that makes sense! My advice would be check out powerlifters on youtube, Alan is my favorite.
    Scott Herman also has a great deadlifting video too.
    The key is your setup & making sure your taking a deep breath into your belly to stabilize yourself before you perform the lift - think of making your middle round all the way around.
    Activate your lats, make your arms long so you're not rounding your back also.

Hopefully this helps!
  • jjcagefighting
    jjcagefighting Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you post a video or a photo of you deadlifting to here i can help you with technique. Front,rear and side view. Start of lift, half way through and top. Do you have any postural issues or any issues from pregnancy??
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Buy Starting Strength and read it from cover to cover. Mark Rippetoe also has a DVD explaining in detail all the big lifts or you can find a lot of that on YouTube.

Use your camera as your coach. I've been lifting for quite a while now and I still video all my worksets when I do the big lifts. Things to look for - proper setup (VERY important), back position (no flexion aka rounding), & bar path (straight and close to body, the bar should be in contact with your legs throughout the lift)
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I don't have much to add that hasn't already been posted...one tip though is to really think about using your hamstrings. I used to have to literally think "hams, hams, hams" while pulling when I first started. I think it's pretty common to overly rely on your lower back.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    There is a thread on here, and I think also a forum, where you can post a video of yourself & get feedback. Browse around a bit for theses, I don't have link right now.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    What plates are you using? If they're smaller plates, you will be starting from a lower bar height and that can cause you to compensate with your back.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    filming myself for short sets and then playing them back was very helpful for me.

i suggest short sets because you want to watch yourself quickly enough that you can still correlate a micro-difference on the screen with your body's memory of how something felt. doing too many reps before you go to the feedback means you have more trouble correlating between the two things.

doing this helped me to recognize what some of those specific sensations look like to an external eye. so it's tedious [and obsessing] but ime it does help.
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    Yeah that makes sense! My advice would be check out powerlifters on youtube, Alan is my favorite.
    Scott Herman also has a great deadlifting video too.
    The key is your setup & making sure your taking a deep breath into your belly to stabilize yourself before you perform the lift - think of making your middle round all the way around.
    Activate your lats, make your arms long so you're not rounding your back also.

Hopefully this helps![/quote]

This
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Options
    @TheSavatron - Lots of good thoughts here on short sets, reduced weight sets, and running a video for yourself and others to review -- Form evaluation by a third-party is also great, like the link from @psuLemon or this one in the Eat, Train, Progress group --> http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/911984/form-critique-thread-post-your-videos-here

Have you looked at some sensible instruction online? These two recent additions from Allen Thrall may be of some help ():
  • Scotty2HotPie
    Scotty2HotPie Posts: 143 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    The soreness in your lower back may be normal if you've never deadlifted before. It could be doms soreness from attempting it for the first time. Is it a sharp, localized pain, like a pinched nerve? Or a general overall muscle soreness?

You said your back was arched? But not rounded down? Correct?
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Can you take video of yourself? If you post it on here or other fitness sites, you'll get plenty of critique. Personally I had no idea I was squatting completely wrong until I took a video from the side.
  • TheSavatron
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback, everyone! I'm gonna do a little more reading and watching over the next week before attempting again (my lifying schedule is on a 4 day rotation), and I'll try to take video the next time I do it.

In answer to a couple questions though-- yes, I historically have poor posture, though I've definitely been working on it. No, I dont *think* I have any issues from pregnancy. Yes, I'm lifting less than 135lbs, and didn't realize I needed to compensate for a lower bar height (I'm short and small-statured, so I didn't realize that would be an issue). And no, not pain like a pinched nerve, but still *different* than plain sore muscles (slightly worse on one side, still hurts a bit today, hurts worse upon impact [like jumping when doing cardio intervals]).

Anyway. Thank you again. I'll do some tweaking, and come back soon.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    The soreness in your lower back may be normal if you've never deadlifted before. It could be doms soreness from attempting it for the first time. Is it a sharp, localized pain, like a pinched nerve? Or a general overall muscle soreness?

That's what I was thinking. It's not necessarily abnormal to have lower back pain, even with proper form, if it's your first time. If anything, it may be a symptom of going too heavy.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    do you have a full length mirror to see your form? set your phone up to video yourself and see exactly how you are lifting and make the appropriate corrections... strong back requires strong abs... I was having all kinds of back pain from doing squats... ( not doing deads because of a hamstring injury) then I began doing deads again and back pain is fading... strength training is a balancing act...your muscles will pull your skeletal structure out of whack if you do too much of one and not enough of the other... to reduce and eliminate lower back pain... start some ab work, and make sure stretching and flexibility are part of your routine.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options

This crossed my mind as well.
    Lower back DOMS for me feel.. "different" than other muscle DOMS, partly because it's not an area that I've really used much in that way.