Running 4-5 miles a day lead to weight loss?

Options
cardioxxbunnyxx
cardioxxbunnyxx Posts: 39 Member
edited April 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I read info on this website; https://www.verywell.com/running-to-lose-weight-how-many-calories-in-a-pound-2911107

It's pretty much stating how if you wish to loose a pound a week, you would need to average around 5 miles a day of running. I already run but not every day per say and not usually 5 miles at that.
Does this sound accurate? (Also, I know people whom are over weight will burn more than those who are not overweight - as I am not over weight.) I know I have the option to cut calories, but honestly, I don't eat enough to cut off a deficient.
Currently I do cardio every morning, along with some light weight training, but my goal is to loose just another 5 pounds, summer is my main motivator. :) If I maybe drop the weight lifting and stick to the running, 4-5 miles a day, do you believe I can see results from this?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I read info on this website; https://www.verywell.com/running-to-lose-weight-how-many-calories-in-a-pound-2911107

It's pretty much stating how if you wish to loose a pound a week, you would need to average around 5 miles a day of running. I already run but not every day per say and not usually 5 miles at that.
    Does this sound accurate? (Also, I know people whom are over weight will burn more than those who are not overweight - as I am not over weight.) I know I have the option to cut calories, but honestly, I don't eat enough to cut off a deficient.
    Currently I do cardio every morning, along with some light weight training, but my goal is to loose just another 5 pounds, summer is my main motivator. :)If I maybe drop the weight lifting and stick to the running, 4-5 miles a day, do you believe I can see results from this?

This is the complete opposite of what I'd suggest. Weight lifting, especially following a structure program, will provide greater body composition changes than running ever would. And considering body composition drives aesthetic, I'd personally concentrate on lifting and supplementing cardio for heart health. And use diet to lose weight.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    It could be done, but you wouldn't be able to eat any of the running calories back.

Could you do it? Maybe, but if I were a betting man, I'd bet against you. Running daily makes you freakin' hungry, doing that week on week without increasing your food input or decreasing your NEAT is unlikely. Add to that the high potential for injury and it's a no from me.

Oh, and whilst I'm on here. This...
    If I maybe drop the weight lifting and stick to the running, 4-5 miles a day, do you believe I can see results from this?

Is not a good idea.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    in theory, if you ate at maintenance and then ran 5 miles (conveniently burning exactly 500 calories) each day and didn't eat back those calories, yes you would lose weight.

the chance of that being sustainable, unless you are a used to running 7 days a week, is slim to none.

if you only have 5lbs to lose, you will want to have a slower rate of loss than 1lb per week.
  • cardioxxbunnyxx
    Options
    I eat healthily. I cut out all complex carbs (no white carbs) sugar, and saturated fats. Since I lead a busy lifestyle, I sometimes don't even get in 1200 calories daily.
    You can't outun a bad diet.

If you aren't overweight, just set a low deficit and let it take time.

Running five miles a day every day sounds like a good way to hurt yourself. Rest and recovery are really important in an exercise program.

I lift 2-3 days a week, run 2-3 days a week, and rest 1-2 days a week. When I eat in a deficit, I lose. When I eat too much, I don't. Simple as that.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I eat healthily. I cut out all complex carbs (no white carbs) sugar, and saturated fats. Since I lead a busy lifestyle, I sometimes don't even get in 1200 calories daily.

Running five miles a day every day sounds like a good way to hurt yourself. Rest and recovery are really important in an exercise program.

I lift 2-3 days a week, run 2-3 days a week, and rest 1-2 days a week. When I eat in a deficit, I lose. When I eat too much, I don't. Simple as that.

So low calorie + exercise generally does not support a fit body.
  • cardioxxbunnyxx
    Options
    I eat healthily. I cut out all complex carbs (no white carbs) sugar, and saturated fats. Since I lead a busy lifestyle, I sometimes don't even get in 1200 calories daily. I originally lost 10 pounds, But now, I am stuck at 115 lbs, no matter how much I work out, restrict, it stays at 115.

• TavistockToad
    Options

if you're eating gross 1200 cals you should be losing weight. are you measuring your intake accurately?
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I eat healthily. I cut out all complex carbs (no white carbs) sugar, and saturated fats. Since I lead a busy lifestyle, I sometimes don't even get in 1200 calories daily. I originally lost 10 pounds, But now, I am stuck at 115 lbs, no matter how much I work out, restrict, it stays at 115.

i doubt you're burning 500 cals running 5 miles if you only weigh 115....

OP, if you quote below the commen you're replying to, its easier to follow.
  • cardioxxbunnyxx
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Yes, to the point of it looking ridiculous, Sometimes I'll eat 900.

I am 5'2, 115 lbs, so no, I know I am not over weight, but I would like to reduce my body fat and get to 110 lbs. If that is at all possible, maybe not.

if you're eating gross 1200 cals you should be losing weight. are you measuring your intake accurately?

• cardioxxbunnyxx
    Options
    Yeah, that's the tricky part that I was trying to figure out... I guess I would have to spend a lot longer time running than 5 miles in order to loose any weight, as I am not over weight.

i doubt you're burning 500 cals running 5 miles if you only weigh 115....

OP, if you quote below the commen you're replying to, its easier to follow.

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options

Does this sound accurate?
    Not really, no. There are waaay too many variables to make it so simple/black and white. It's like saying that if you want to save money, you need to stop buying new shoes. Could it work? Possibly. But it won't work for most people, and there's no learning involved, so what happens when you need new shoes (or can't run)?

(Also, I know people whom are over weight will burn more than those who are not overweight - as I am not over weight.) I know I have the option to cut calories, but honestly, I don't eat enough to cut off a deficient.
    If you're not losing, then you can cut calories. You may not choose to, but you can... assuming you actually have 5lbs to lose.

Currently I do cardio every morning, along with some light weight training, but my goal is to loose just another 5 pounds, summer is my main motivator. :) If I maybe drop the weight lifting and stick to the running, 4-5 miles a day, do you believe I can see results from this?
    No. That's not the way it works.
  • StealthHealth
    Options
    First I was like OK.
    Then I was like OooooKaaaay
    Then I was like Oh! OK then.
    Now I'm like SMH.
  • StealthHealth
    Options
    OP, I think you should go for it.

Get them runnin' shoes on and make like Forrest. Do it now! Just Do It. Log off and get running.

Post back in 5 weeks time and let us know how you got on. OK?
  • genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    Options

And you want to run 35 miles a week on less than 1200 calories a day?!?

Sounds absolutely miserable.

What are your stats? Do you even have anything to lose?

Maybe start lifting to change your shape.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Looking at all the follow-up posts, I'd make sure your goals/expectations are reasonable.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Get them runnin' shoes on and make like Forrest. Do it now! Just Do It. Log off and get running.

i bet it will go something like either....

1 week later... I'm so hangry and rungry i binged on 72 doughnuts and a bagel.

or

5 weeks later... i'm 5lbs lighter and look no different, what do i do?!
  • cardioxxbunnyxx
    Options
    No reason to respond in a rude and condescending tone. I just asked a question.

Thanks for the replies.
    First I was like OK.
    Then I was like OooooKaaaay
    Then I was like Oh! OK then.
    Now I'm like SMH.

or

• cardioxxbunnyxx
    Options
    5 pounds less than I am now? will make a big difference, as I am 5 foot 2 with a small frame.

or