thinking of going a gym

Options
I'm thinking joining a gym. I'm alittle nervous because of how much I let myself go the past few years. I'm hoping that joining will give me th motivatio. To keep it up and reach my goals. On the other hand I am worried about wasting money (money is tight my husband of almost 10 years walked out in Jan). Is going a gym a good idea to keep motivation up

Replies

• sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    i think motivation is a very personal thing in the end, but most gyms seem to have free trials for a few days at least. so go for it! see how it feels.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I got a free week at the gym I just joined so I could give it a trial run, it's a good idea to see if it really appeals to you. Have some goals in mind and plan what you'll do there and see how you like it!
  • jayv85
    jayv85 Posts: 142 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    You could do the free trial. Some gyms are pretty cheap a month. You can try it.

But if money is really tight maybe getting a gym membership isn't the best option right now. While it's convenient to go to a gym and have all this equipment at hand, it's not going to help if you can't afford it. If you're wanting some weights, walmart sells a sand (I'm guessing sand) dumbbell set for really cheap (less than $50). Or get resistance bands. A jump rope is great for cardio. Finding a park in town too (especially now that it's warming up and days are lasting longer). The one here has monkey bars for adults/teens and those double bars you can do arm exercises on. There are a lot of options without having to spend the money on a gym membership.

Besides, I've found that having a gym membership doesn't just give you the motivation. You have to be motivated to go in the first place.
  • kayeroze
    kayeroze Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    College student here. Possible gyms that are cheaper are Planet Fitness at $10/mo. for that particular location and $20/mo. for all locations - not a member, but have friends that are and they like it (all levels of fitness). I use 24 hour fitness at 30/mo. because of the classes provided and somewhat better equipment. If you want a gym membership but worried about finances, do some research on monthly prices for ones around you and see if they will be running a special where they will waive the initiation fee anytime soon (luckily I signed up around that time). And like others have said, you can try the free passes from 3 days to a week and try them out or try at home methods with a higher start up cost plus YouTube videos.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i don't think i would buy/do anything with the idea of 'i've paid for it, now i have to'. this might be me personally, but the effect on me would be to make me feel miserable and arm-twisted even if i did follow through.

best i can say is try to figure out whether membership will make it easier for you to do something you already want to do . . . or because you're hoping it will make it easier for you to make yourself do something you don't want to do.

i'm not explaining that well, but i'm tired. it just sounds like you've got a bit of churn in your life already, so i think in your shoes i'd be a little gentle with expectations i placed on myself. plus, i remember the last time someone dumped me the first three months were like i was just in this punitive rage with myself for being myself.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    what is it you want to get motivated for,what are the goals you are talking about? If they are fitness related and you need the gym equip, that is one thing. If your goals are weight loss related, you would be better off investing your time and efforts and money into your diet and nutrition.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I joined a gym about 6 months ago. I had no goals or motivation, 0 self esteem and hated the state I'd let myself get into. By chance I hooked up an awesome trainer though who had faith in me when I didn't have any in myself. I've reconfigured the budget to make it work because seeing a trainer has turned my world around and is a non-negotiable expense for me now. I'm not a morning person but now I get up at 5.30am to get in a workout before getting the kids off to school. I'm now working on the diet side of things because I work so dang hard I want to be able to the new found muscle I've got. If you get the right gym and trainer it can be life changing.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking joining a gym. I'm alittle nervous because of how much I let myself go the past few years. I'm hoping that joining will give me th motivatio. To keep it up and reach my goals. On the other hand I am worried about wasting money (money is tight my husband of almost 10 years walked out in Jan). Is going a gym a good idea to keep motivation up

Motivation is good for getting started, determination keeps you going. You will end up doing what you ultimately want to do. If it is achieving your goals, you'll do what is necessary to achieve them. You'll find out soon enough if you really want to achieve those goals, or if you current condition really isn't do bad after all or that there is a middle ground that is just fine once you get there. Good luck on your quest.
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    If money is tight, I suggest you do jogging. Fresh air would be good for you, clears your mind. At first you may not able to do a 20mins run.but over time you will build stamina and its fun trying to reach a decent level of stamina. On YouTube so many fitness videos like insanity or something similar. Do it from own living room.
  • fitbethlin
    fitbethlin Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Off topic a bit:

It might not be what you're looking for, but I love reading this very poignant post about how someone used a breakup to lose weight. I literally get tears when I read this. It's one of my favorite ways to remind myself that it's about nutrition, fitness, AND emotions. There's a mental game we have to play too. Be warned, it's not a super-positive take on any of this. But man I love reading this one on a bad day. Or a good one.

"You hit your goal weight, pick a new one, then hit it again. You go out and buy new clothes. You receive wave after wave of compliments. Your ex tells you that she’s seeing someone else. Your chest clenches. You feel exhausted.
    That night you go to the gym. You listen to all her favorite songs. You run farther and lift more than you thought your body was capable of. It is a good workout. It leaves you numb. You go home and eat a single chicken breast and steamed vegetables. You go to sleep. You dream of a bottomless black puddle."

https://medium.com/@AaronBleyaert/how-to-lose-weight-in-4-easy-steps-1f135f7e1dec
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    You come across as being anxious about spending the money on going to the gym, so save yourself the worry.

Losing weight doesn't require going to the gym. Cut back on your calories and you will lose.

Getting exercise doesn't require going to the gym or spending money. You can do free exercises like walking, jogging, dancing, yoga, planks, push-ups, etc.

The motivation needs to come from inside you.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    ^This was almost exactly what I was going to say.

Motivation comes from w/in you. A gym will not provide it. If you don't have the motivation already, you will not use the gym and that would be a waste of money.
  • menotyou56
    menotyou56 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My gym costs 10 bucks a month. Thats less than coffee money for most people.
    But you can do bodyweight exercises at home if you have the room for free.

Here is some info on that: https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I'm always thinking about going to the gym, or eating, or thinking about what I'm going to eat.
  • menotyou56
    menotyou56 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm always thinking about going to the gym, or eating, or thinking about what I'm going to eat.

I think about going to the gym alot too. :D Pity it doesn't burn many calories though lol.
  • Vio_Fit_Bunny
    Vio_Fit_Bunny Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Good morning, going back to the gym is the ultimate way to go in order to prove to yourself your self love! Start slow, set small goals, and most importantly pace yourself...start with changing your diet so it can match your progression. Live life, workout, and get into the best shape of your life!
  • LazyButHealthy
    LazyButHealthy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Depends on the quality - I have joined a very cheap gym but it was so grim I didn't enjoy being there.
    That put me off for years.

I joined a new one in February, for a little extra (£45 per calendar month, for gym/pool/classes) and because it is a nicer space and better quality, i enjoy going there. The atmosphere is welcoming, it is clean and well-maintained, so it's a different experience.

Money is an important factor, but I do agree with checking a few different free trial options or day passes to find the one you feel best in.
    That's the one that will work for you, and be good value.
  • stondofitz
    stondofitz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Start slow, set small goals

You get a small result from one small goal. But over time if you add up all the results from the small goals you constantly set yourself then they add up to something life changing.

Remember that health/fitness goals do not happen over night. It takes time and dedication to adopt a new lifestyle!