Ladies who deadlift...

firef1y72
firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
....please tell me I'm not the only one who has an oopsie moment once the weights get challenging.
I always make sure I pee before I start the heavier sets but still have a little leak. It's got to the point where I wear a pad just in case, well not even just in case because it's gonna happen nine times out of ten.

Replies

• Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Be very careful. My wife had the same thing and it turned out she ended up doing damage to her pelvic floor.
  • ocrXfitter
    ocrXfitter Posts: 123 Member
    I haven't had that issue, but I've pooped myself on multiple occasions on long runs.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    The ladies in this thread http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10315462/squat-bench-deadlift-snatch-c-j-post-your-best-videos#latest

have all discussed this and it seems to be common. If you have specific questions ask one of the ladies directly by pm.
  • kellysmith410
    kellysmith410 Posts: 58 Member
    It's happened to me once or twice! Sometimes when I'm bracing my core very tightly, it can happen, especially when its TOM & tampons, etc.
    Checked with my doctor about it, he said it's not abnormal and definitely happens to people at heavier weights :) Only time I would be concerned is if it happens when you're NOT deadlifting, and you have pain somewhere, then I'd check with a doctor.

Keep on pulling heavy weight!!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited April 2017
    I pretty much emptied my whole bladder down my leg once. I already went pee multiple times- and had pulled multiple reps- including the one previously that DID piddle as well.

I finally said *kitten* it and pulled the weight and pretty much voided everything liquid in my system.
    I have it on video- you can't tell- but holy crap was it miserable.

I called it quits after that day after that lift.

I use period THINX panties to help- pads are nice- but they are really annoying to lift in. So I use a liner/pad and the thinx and eventually I get ride of the pad- but it happens. You're not alone.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I pretty much emptied my whole bladder down my leg once. I already went pee multiple times- and had pulled multiple reps- including the one previously that DID piddle as well.

I finally said *kitten* it and pulled the weight and pretty much voided everything liquid in my system.

I use period THINX panties to help- pads are nice- but they are really annoying to lift in. So I use a liner/pad and the thinx and eventually I get ride of the pad- but it happens. You're not alone.

I never thought to try thinx for deadlift days! Omggg! Good to hear that they're comfy. I don't have a pair yet but I was looking at buying them...so expensive though, blah! But, sounds like they're worth it.

It doesn't happen to me everytime, and there's no rhyme or reason for the times it does. But it's happened for sure.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member

Second time in two days I've heard of these. Can you get them in the regular aisle?
  • JoRocka
    Kimo159 wrote: »

I never thought to try thinx for deadlift days! Omggg! Good to hear that they're comfy. I don't have a pair yet but I was looking at buying them...so expensive though, blah! But, sounds like they're worth it.

It doesn't happen to me everytime, and there's no rhyme or reason for the times it does. But it's happened for sure.
    I own 3 pairs- and I'm getting ready to order more. For real. They are a game changer for me as a woman and a lifter.

If you are really heavy- they will NOT hold up. They are a really good back up method. I am pretty light- so I can use them for all but 1-2 days of my period. But they are great for lifting- great for sleeping in too- so you don't have to worry about tampons at night.
    Sara1791 wrote: »

Second time in two days I've heard of these. Can you get them in the regular aisle?

Nope- gotta order them. They are 'spensive.
    But as someone who doesn't have a heavy flow- using pads constantly for spotting is REALLY annoying. Soooooo the thinx are great. They are also great for sleeping.
  • Sara1791
    Kimo159 wrote: »

I own 3 pairs- and I'm getting ready to order more. For real. They are a game changer for me as a woman and a lifter.

If you are really heavy- they will NOT hold up. They are a really good back up method. I am pretty light- so I can use them for all but 1-2 days of my period. But they are great for lifting- great for sleeping in too- so you don't have to worry about tampons at night.
    Sara1791 wrote: »

Nope- gotta order them. They are 'spensive.
    But as someone who doesn't have a heavy flow- using pads constantly for spotting is REALLY annoying. Soooooo the thinx are great. They are also great for sleeping.

Thank you!
  • Sara1791
    I will say that my male coach warned me, in a very casual way, that this sometimes happens. It hasn't happened to me yet, but I feel better just knowing that this is common and not to be worried over.
  • liftingmomlife
    liftingmomlife Posts: 47 Member
    Yep. Peed on the deadlift platform right in front of my trainer. Ugh. :s

He just went and got a mop, like it was no big deal. :D

that's awesome!! good guy.
  • kenzienal
    kenzienal Posts: 205 Member
    My day dreams of lifting heavy weights in the future have now turned to nightmares of pee running down my legs.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Never had that problem lifting, only with running and jumping activities (trampoline, tumbling, etc.)
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Firstly I'm so glad I'm not the only one, I really couldn't ask at the gym as I'm the only lady (or even person 99% of the time) deadlifting at the time of day that I go to lift.

I've never heard of Thinx, are they an American thing? I was considering getting some scrundies customised with an absorbent gusset, I'm guessing they'd be similar, or maybe get some Tena pants, cos yes pads do tend to move about and ride in to some pretty uncomfortable positions.

• JoRocka
    I'd have to say I tend to be more concerned I'm going to *poop emoji* myself. Heh. I would 100% rather pee than that... Luckily never have been actual problem for me, yet.
    Doesn't Meg Squats have a Youtube video on this? I think she's very pro - "there are things you can do and you don't have to deal with this".
    She also has one about the Diva Cup for lifting if that interests anyone.

I lifted on Monday with my Diva Cup for the first time- I was really impressed honestly. (no DL's- but squats and other accessories). No one rep max effort type things- but I was working super sets- so moving along.

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    edited April 2017
    Never had that problem lifting, only with running and jumping activities (trampoline, tumbling, etc.)

Oh, GAWWW! Trampolines are the worst!!! I hate jumping jacks, too.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    I'd have to say I tend to be more concerned I'm going to *poop emoji* myself. Heh. I would 100% rather pee than that... Luckily never have been actual problem for me, yet.
    Doesn't Meg Squats have a Youtube video on this? I think she's very pro - "there are things you can do and you don't have to deal with this".
    She also has one about the Diva Cup for lifting if that interests anyone.

Funny thing is that I have crohn's and fistulas and have had many accidents but I have never *kitten* myself lifting! I attribute it to all the precautions crohnies make lol. I'm getting a permanent ileostimy soon so that won't be an issue but have no idea if I'll be able to lift heavy again because of hernia risk.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    everyone has peed on our deadlift platform. my gym bag includes a package of large size pads i wear every time i squat or DL. Squatting isn't as bad as DL for me, but i have peed on the squat box before so i dont take that chance. For me , i pee every time the DL gets heavy 80%+.