Hitting a Wall

Options
Well my friends... I have hit my first big wall. I was losing weight steadily for a few months and every now and again during this time I would go 9-10 days with no change which is super common. However as of today I am at 19 days and no change which is a problem. I am not sure what I need to change up in order to get things moving again. I am creating a good deficit daily/weekly. I am working out every day. I eat well. I am at a loss. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

Replies

• xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Have you updated your calorie goal recently? As you lose you may need to lower your goal based on new weight/BMR.
    Otherwise - some things to consider:
    Have you slacked on your logging? Some people get comfortable and aren't as strict, start eating more than they think
    Are you allowing your body to recover? Good recovery is key to progress
    Are you measuring? You could still be losing just not on the scale
    Are you seeing changes, like increase in strength, pants fit better? Again, NSV's count
    On a side note, it's only been 3 weeks. I know it's frustrating but give it a little longer if nothing has really changed and you have updated your calorie goals - you may be due for a whoosh soon.
  • HGarcia1527
    HGarcia1527 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am so strict on my logging so that's definitely not it. If I take one bite of one of my kids cookie once a month I will even log it as an entire cookie because I feel so guilty.

I am measuring and I have lost some additional inches but being heavier I know I have pounds to lose and it is frustrating that it isn't happening.

In trade in strength is a definite change I have noticed. I haven't dropped additional sizes and clothes haven't gotten much looser in the last two weeks.

My calorie goals have been updating regularly as I have been losing but they obviously haven't updated in three weeks since I last had actual weight loss. Aside from that I typically eat lower than what is allotted on here anyway.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Have patience. Water weight from sodium, stress, getting too little sleep, change in your macros, muscle repair, TOM/hormones can easily mask actual weight loss. Trust the science and keep going.

And try to disconnect your guilt from food. Food is not good or bad. Its not healthy or unhealthy unless there is context. Living on broccoli alone would be unhealthy as you'd be deprived of many needed nutrients, but that does not make broccoli a 'bad' food. Good and bad are qualities we assign to things. The guilt you associate with food can have other repercussions for you, so try to think of the big picture. Food is fuel for your body. NOthing more, nothing less.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Scales lie. All the time. If you're losing inches and gaining strength, it's likely just water weight you're holding on to and you'll see a loss (whoosh) soon. Keep at it - you're doing great :smile:
  • HGarcia1527
    HGarcia1527 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thank you both so much. Three weeks is just such a long time for not even a pound. I am just stressed out and it will happen. I am going to keep moving forward and hopefully it changes. I wasn't planning on stopping either way as this is now my lifestyle but I was thinking maybe something I could change up would help a bit.