Figuring out my stall

Options
eviliax
eviliax Posts: 3 Member
edited April 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
General info:
6ft
169 pounds (12 stone)
Somewhat active - work part time as a waiter 3 days a week and 6/7 of the days I work out
Drink at least a gallaon of water a day
I intermittent fast from 10PM - 2PM
18% BF

After doing a numerous amount of research, I've concluded that for myself I need 1800 calories a day to function and my maintenance is around 2350 calories. Wanting to loose around 1/2 pounds a week I deducted 500 calories from maintenance and therefor taking me to again 1850.

Macro's are:
P: 138 (552 cal)
C: 187 (748 cal)
F: 61 (549 cal)

When it comes to workouts I always do 90 minutes and try to take no more than 20 seconds break between sets. Further involving the gym I also always do 10 minutes of cardio roughly burning 200-250 calories through HIIT. I remember calculating that my workouts roughly burn 500 through weights.

Now calculating weights + cardio that's 750 calories a day being burnt! Do I add the calories I eat each day and then subtract the cardio / weight?

Being 1800 - 750? = 1050... therefor putting me massively below where I should be or? I'm a little confused.

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I'm confused. At 169 and 6' are you looking to lose weight, or build muscle and look more toned? That seems like a low weight for the height. My husband is 5'9" and aiming around 170.

If you want to figure your maintenance you need to consider exercise and lifestyle. But be careful not to overestimate exercise burn. Its often less than we think/want it to be. SO if you think its 750 per session assume 375. Just to be cautious.

But if you're figuring daily needs BEFORE exercise then exercise means you eat more, not less. So by your logic you'd eat 1850 + additional for exercise.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Make your diary public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Also, it might be a good idea at your height, weight, and age to focus on building muscle rather than losing more weight.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10" and would not want to go below 165. What are your goals and why?
  • eviliax
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Thought i'd also add that i'm at around 18% BF as well, want to drop down to around 10% and then go into a lean bulk.

@usmcmp Done!

Sorry I should have stated that my goal is to drop fast whilst maintaining as much muscle as possible :)

@StaciMarie1974 That helps a lot, in that case i'll try eat for 2.2k calories.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    What sort of workout do you do? How do you estimate that as your BF%? If you do reach your goal without losing any lean mass you'll be about 150 pounds. I'm 5'9" and female, at 150 pounds I looked sickly rather than lean. You're young and should take advantage of your awesome hormones to build lean mass at your current weight.
  • BonnieDundee78
    BonnieDundee78 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Taking 500 off your maintenance will result in a 1lb a week loss. Not 0.5lbs. Might want to rejig your numbers there...
  • eviliax
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @usmcmp I have some scales that roughly tell me my fat %, I fluctuate between 17 / 18%. Anyhow the workouts, I do a split 5/6 days a week and always take Sundays off. Just adding it here that when i'm not at the gym I will just sit at my computer :#

Within each gym session I complete 5 sets and three to four different movements per body part being trained. Two of the sets are higher weight and the rest are at lower but higher volume IE 10 reps.

Monday = chest, tricep with calfs
    Tuesday = Back and bicep
    Wednesday = Legs and shoulders

All of which are with cardio, repeat until days off.

@BonnieDundee78 That was supposed to mean 1 or two pounds :P
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Those body fat scales are BS. They're better for measuring hydration rather than body fat. Mine always reads around 29-32% and it doesn't matter whether I'm 24% or 16%.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    What sort of workout do you do? How do you estimate that as your BF%? If you do reach your goal without losing any lean mass you'll be about 150 pounds. I'm 5'9" and female, at 150 pounds I looked sickly rather than lean. You're young and should take advantage of your awesome hormones to build lean mass at your current weight.

Agree completely. As a 50 year old man, putting on muscle is really difficult, in my teens and 20s it was much easier. At this point I think a focus on adding lean mass would be ideal.