New Tattoos and working out

Just got a new tat on Tuesday and my artist who I completely trust said I should wait a few days before working out. Due to the stretching it may slow down the healing process. I hate missing time at the gym but I love my tattoos! Has anyone else got this same advice? Looked on the net and the opinions are all over the place. I am going to follow my artist instructions, just curious as to what others have been told.

Replies

• yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    Yeah, that's pretty standard tattoo advice. I would stick to it, too. Like the poster above me said, gyms are gross. Also, if you mess up the healing from trying to work out too soon, it's a pretty expensive mistake. Even if your artist does free touch ups, they usually know when the color loss is because of you or because of natural healing (so says the guy that does mine in his warnings, at least!).
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    What both ladies said. Whenever I get a new piece, I stay away from the gym for about a week.
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    edited April 2017
    lizery wrote: »
    My advice is:

Keep your open or scabby new tattoo wound out of the MRSA and other bacteria laden environment of the gym.

Don't cause friction to a healing tattoo.

It takes a week and a half(ish) of caution to heal a tattoo beautifully for life, why risk damage or infection?

^^This.

I wait over a week to two weeks before I start lifting again. I don't want any risk of infection, but I also don't want to do anything to stretch the skin/open scabs and risk my tattoo not healing as it should.

However, a few days to a week later I'll go on walks and/or cardio outside.
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    edited April 2017
    oops. posted twice.

• mhwitt74
    mhwitt74 Posts: 159 Member
    Thanks. That is what my artist said as well. This my 5th tattoo but the first since I started working out regularly.
    My advice is:

Keep your open or scabby new tattoo wound out of the MRSA and other bacteria laden environment of the gym.

It takes a week and a half(ish) of caution to heal a tattoo beautifully for life, why risk damage or infection?

1s7ggj0to6ub.png

(From some basis of personal experience)

Looks like some nice work you have there.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    mhwitt74 wrote: »
    Thanks. That is what my artist said as well. This my 5th tattoo but the first since I started working out regularly.
    My advice is:

1s7ggj0to6ub.png

(From some basis of personal experience)

Looks like some nice work you have there.

Thank-you! Work in progress ...