Running 4-5 miles a day lead to weight loss?

Options

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    5 pounds less than I am now? will make a big difference, as I am 5 foot 2 with a small frame.
    OP, I think you should go for it.

Get them runnin' shoes on and make like Forrest. Do it now! Just Do It. Log off and get running.

Post back in 5 weeks time and let us know how you got on. OK?

i bet it will go something like either....

1 week later... I'm so hangry and rungry i binged on 72 doughnuts and a bagel.

or

5 weeks later... i'm 5lbs lighter and look no different, what do i do?!

if you lose it in 5 weeks and by starving and just doing cardio, you're losing muscle as well as fat, so you'll still be more squishy than you want to be...
  • cardioxxbunnyxx
    cardioxxbunnyxx Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Right.. very helpful..

thanks for the reply.
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    OP - this is you, too, right?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10538230/upping-cardio-intensity-and-eating-less-fat-complex-carb-calories-but-same-weight-what-gives

I really think you need to take a step back. Stop reading headlines and magazine covers. Assume that whatever you want to do is going to take 10 times longer than you want it to.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    OP, you are already really lean, especially if that is a current pic of you. Which btw, you look like you have a flat stomach.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    It depends.

IF you are currently eating at maintenance with no exercise...and then you start running 5 miles a day every day, that is 35 miles per week. Obviously, how much you burn per mile depends on your weight, body composition, etc., but a very rough rule of thumb is to assume approximately 100 calories per mile. You are very light, so yours is most likely less.

So 35 miles X 100 calories/mile = 3500 calories burned in a week.

3500 is roughly the calorie deficit you need to burn one pound of fat.

So, yes, it would be true if all of the above conditions were met.

However, you could also not run at all and cut 3500 calories / week from what you are currently eating...or do some combination of burning more with running and other exercise and eating less to get to the same place.
  • genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    It depends.

IF you are currently eating at maintenance with no exercise...and then you start running 5 miles a day every day, that is 35 miles per week. Obviously, how much you burn per mile depends on your weight, body composition, etc., but a very rough rule of thumb is to assume approximately 100 calories per mile. You are very light, so yours is most likely less.

However, you could also not run at all and cut 3500 calories / week from what you are currently eating...or do some combination of burning more with running and other exercise and eating less to get to the same place.

The equation I always see is (weight)*(distance)*(0.63).

Which using 115 and 5 miles is 362.25 calories.

So not a pound anyway.

She would have to run 7 miles every single day to hit that marker. Yikes.

OP is very slim. I just don't really think she has it to lose. I think she needs to eat more and lift if she wants to tighten up.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    It depends.

So not a pound anyway.

OP is very slim. I just don't really think she has it to lose. I think she needs to eat more and lift if she wants to tighten up.

OP seems to have rage-quit!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I read info on this website; https://www.verywell.com/running-to-lose-weight-how-many-calories-in-a-pound-2911107

It's pretty much stating how if you wish to loose a pound a week, you would need to average around 5 miles a day of running. I already run but not every day per say and not usually 5 miles at that.
    Does this sound accurate? (Also, I know people whom are over weight will burn more than those who are not overweight - as I am not over weight.) I know I have the option to cut calories, but honestly, I don't eat enough to cut off a deficient.
    Currently I do cardio every morning, along with some light weight training, but my goal is to loose just another 5 pounds, summer is my main motivator. :) If I maybe drop the weight lifting and stick to the running, 4-5 miles a day, do you believe I can see results from this?

You could run 5 miles per day, but if you eat to maintenance, you'll maintain...there are a lot of people who maintain weight doing all kinds of running or other training.

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    For that weight and height (in normal range), you'll probably see better results (aesthetically speaking) from the weight training and minimal weight loss.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Running 5 mi/day for some one not used to it will likely lead to injury. As for weight loss, it depends how much you eat in between the runs.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    It depends.

So not a pound anyway.

I'm having a hard time imagining that she has much body fat anywhere to lose. When I was at nearly equivalent stats (5'3", 115 lbs) I didn't look anywhere near that lean. I looked like I was ~22% BF. OP looks to me like she is in the teens.

For the appearance OP says she wants, she'd be better off eating at least maintenance, lifting, and forgetting about the scale.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    It depends.

So not a pound anyway.

I haven't seen that, but it makes sense since it adjusts for size. At my size, it works out to about a 100 per mile either way. I guess I'm very average. LOL!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    5 pounds less than I am now? will make a big difference, as I am 5 foot 2 with a small frame.
    OP, I think you should go for it.

Get them runnin' shoes on and make like Forrest. Do it now! Just Do It. Log off and get running.

Post back in 5 weeks time and let us know how you got on. OK?

i bet it will go something like either....

1 week later... I'm so hangry and rungry i binged on 72 doughnuts and a bagel.

or

5 weeks later... i'm 5lbs lighter and look no different, what do i do?!

What @TavistockToad is saying is; you may lose 5lbs but at such a steep deficit but you'll sacrifice muscle too. So, you've lost 5lbs got from 115lbs to 110lbs but because you've sacrificed muscle your Body Fat % didn't change a lick, so you look exactly the same in the mirror. Just because you lose weight, doesn't mean it's all from fat.

You're better off eating at a slight deficit, keep up your cardio, and lift to maintain that muscle...unveiling it once you lose the little fat covering it. You may only lose a pound or two (if any), but you'll lower your BF% and probably get you more to the aesthetic you're looking for.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I am proof positive that you can run and not lose weight. At one point I was running about 25 miles a week and not losing....probably because that much running makes me feel like I'm starving. And I like to end a run with a beer. Weight loss, for me, starts in the kitchen. I run because I enjoy it. I do lose weight doing it, but only if my diet is on point.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I am proof positive that you can run and not lose weight. At one point I was running about 25 miles a week and not losing....probably because that much running makes me feel like I'm starving. And I like to end a run with a beer. Weight loss, for me, starts in the kitchen. I run because I enjoy it. I do lose weight doing it, but only if my diet is on point.

I gained weight training for my first half marathon... the runger is very real! :laugh:
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    You have received amazing advice in this and your past threads.

At this point it seems you will do anything to lose and are very fixated on the scale... maybe time to take a step back and really understand what you really want because honestly, I don't think we can help you anymore. :/

Best of luck.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I read info on this website; https://www.verywell.com/running-to-lose-weight-how-many-calories-in-a-pound-2911107

It's pretty much stating how if you wish to loose a pound a week, you would need to average around 5 miles a day of running. I already run but not every day per say and not usually 5 miles at that.
    Does this sound accurate? (Also, I know people whom are over weight will burn more than those who are not overweight - as I am not over weight.) I know I have the option to cut calories, but honestly, I don't eat enough to cut off a deficient.
    Currently I do cardio every morning, along with some light weight training, but my goal is to loose just another 5 pounds, summer is my main motivator. :) If I maybe drop the weight lifting and stick to the running, 4-5 miles a day, do you believe I can see results from this?

The concept is basically that you would eat the same amount that you have been eating but add five miles a day of running. Yes, that would cause you to lose about a pound a week. That's really not a bad approach to weight loss if you have a firm grasp on how much you are eating. For people who eat pretty much the same thing everyday, it works great. For people who eat based on how much they want to eat, not so much. Whether you lose weight by cutting calories or by increasing activity, you are going to feel hungry. But what increasing your activity does is that it makes it possible to eat regular sized meals while losing weight.

What I really hate is when people throw "you can't outrun a bad diet" out there like it proves that exercise isn't important and can't be used to lose weight. The thing is, you don't have to outrun a bad diet to lose weight. You just need to run more than you are now without increasing your eating and you will lose weight.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    What you could do is eat back half the calories you burn, so that your weight loss is slower, but you aren't as hungry. However, if all you want is a firmer body, the weights will probably help more than the running.

FWIW - I did lose a pound a week running five+ miles a day, 5 days a week, but I was already a consistent runner, and I was starting training for a marathon. I was also watching my food intake and walking and doing other exercises as well. When my mileage reached a certain point, I stopped cutting calories because I needed the energy to fuel the running and I had reached my goal weight.
  • rubrink
    rubrink Posts: 43 Member
    Options

I gained weight training for my first half marathon... the runger is very real! :laugh:

Yup I've actually quit running more than 3-5 miles at a time and it's so much easier for me to manage my weight.
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I eat healthily. I cut out all complex carbs (no white carbs) sugar, and saturated fats. Since I lead a busy lifestyle, I sometimes don't even get in 1200 calories daily.
    You can't outun a bad diet.

If you aren't overweight, just set a low deficit and let it take time.

Running five miles a day every day sounds like a good way to hurt yourself. Rest and recovery are really important in an exercise program.

I lift 2-3 days a week, run 2-3 days a week, and rest 1-2 days a week. When I eat in a deficit, I lose. When I eat too much, I don't. Simple as that.

if you're eating gross 1200 cals you should be losing weight. are you measuring your intake accurately?

Funny I posted one time I was consuming 1200 calories and people jumped all over me saying this was dangerous and I shouldnt be posting that. Threatened to shut down the thread, it was hilarious.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    johnnylew wrote: »
    I eat healthily. I cut out all complex carbs (no white carbs) sugar, and saturated fats. Since I lead a busy lifestyle, I sometimes don't even get in 1200 calories daily.
    You can't outun a bad diet.

If you aren't overweight, just set a low deficit and let it take time.

Running five miles a day every day sounds like a good way to hurt yourself. Rest and recovery are really important in an exercise program.

I lift 2-3 days a week, run 2-3 days a week, and rest 1-2 days a week. When I eat in a deficit, I lose. When I eat too much, I don't. Simple as that.

if you're eating gross 1200 cals you should be losing weight. are you measuring your intake accurately?

Funny I posted one time I was consuming 1200 calories and people jumped all over me saying this was dangerous and I shouldnt be posting that. Threatened to shut down the thread, it was hilarious.

Did you happen to notice that the OP is a small female?

Context matters.