SAA - Sugar Addicts Anonymous

Options
Hi. My name is Eddi. I am a sugar addict. I feel like, as with AA and OA, I need "meetings" to keep me on track. I've read so many books on why sugar is so bad and when I can manage to cut it out for a couple of days, I start to feel the difference, feel better. But then that little sugar nagging bug gets in my head and I can't shut it up.

Anyone want to join my SAA?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    Is this based on the 12 Steps? I think AA has a lock on using that term (maybe even a patent or copyright on it.)...and if people do want to get in your club, I would think you need to use the tools as described by AA and 12 Step recovery plans.

That said, there's no proof that sugar is addictive. According to the 100,000 other threads about it on this site alone, it just isn't so.
  • jayv85
    jayv85 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Ha! Definitely me. Seriously, though, I've been doing pretty good lately.
  • SantiagoVelez
    SantiagoVelez Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to sugar as well. As of May of 2016 I've managed to eliminate processed sugar from my diet via combination of life choices, none of which were pleasant and continue to haunt me in this sugar saturated society. I would regularly indulge in cookies, ice coffees with caramel swirls, soda, candy, etc. I was at 225 lbs and deteriorating at 38 years old. I decided enough was enough and acknowledged that I was addicted and lacked the ability to "regulate" processed sugar consumption. I would go a few days cutting out the sugar and then binge (typical cycle). I came to the realization that I need to purge both the sugar and the triggers from my lifestyle. Every time I see a Dunkin Donuts I still salivate like a Pavlovian dog. Still, I no longer rationalize sugar consumption like I used to. There was always a birthday, a holiday, Halloween, Christmas, Easter, office party, cheat day, etc. that I could use to rationalize my sugar consumption. I came to the realization that willpower alone is insufficient and started changing behavior. For example, when I go to in-laws for a birthday celebration of a relative, come cake time, I sing Happy Birthday with the fam, then leave the room when the slices are passed out. I simply remove myself from situations that expose me to the sugar, just an alcoholic should remove themselves from bars.

Coincident with abandoning processed sugars, I increased my fitness training to six days a week, combining HIIT, weight lifting, Capoeira, and calisthenics. I took the principle of eliminating barriers to my success. I don't use a gym (no membership fees, travel time, intimidation aspects, etc.). I use limited weights and literally perform body weight exercises as soon as I get my *kitten* out of bed, right in my room. Blast through 45 minutes of intense activity. When complete I jump in the shower, eat my protein shake, and have breakfast.

The combination of a good training cycle, limited exposure to opportunities for cheating, and a commitment to eating healthy foods (including natural sugars) is a virtuous and self-sustaining cycle that I highly encourage. I couldn't envision success with a dietary change only and realized I needed to introduce other incentives to make the whole equation balanced. I went from 225 down to 185 and I'm lean muscle. I've started a program of micro-bulking / micro-intermittent fasting, strength and flexibility training, and monitoring of my progress down to the gram. Stepped up protein, enzyme, and proteas consumption to process extra protein. Still drink whole milk and burn through fat like it doesn't exist. I feel awesome, really.

Still, when I drive through Dunkin Donuts for an iced coffee with whole milk, those frackin' donuts still call to me like sirens wishing sailors to their doom.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Is this based on the 12 Steps? I think AA has a lock on using that term (maybe even a patent or copyright on it.)...and if people do want to get in your club, I would think you need to use the tools as described by AA and 12 Step recovery plans.

That said, there's no proof that sugar is addictive. According to the 100,000 other threads about it on this site alone, it just isn't so.

There are many 12 step programs actually - OA, EDA, SLAA, NA, MA, HA...AA doesn't own the steps
  • DianeCTC
    DianeCTC Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes! Hi my name is Diane and I am a sugar addict. I need all the help I can get! Please let me know how to start!! It's a viscous cycle!
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Do I have to accept the existence of a supreme being/power-greater-than-sugar in order to join?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    But I can see all your names...
  • cmriverside
    Options

I know, right? - I started to address the 12 Step and anonymity thing, but I realized halfway through writing a rebuttal post to @SCoil123 about the other 12 Step programs that I just didn't care enough to continue the post. :lol:
  • cmriverside
    edited April 2017
    Options
    The OP hasn't been back since April 6. One post. She needs a better sponsor who will push these meetings!!
  • cmriverside
    Options
    I think sugar falls into the OA guidelines, I know they have a whole "Eating Plan" that severely limits certain foods, sugar is one.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Coffee and cigarettes are addictive too. Some handle quitting better than others.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    I think sugar falls into the OA guidelines, I know they have a whole "Eating Plan" that severely limits certain foods, sugar is one.
    I understand. We all know about trigger foods and the need to avoid them if they are problematic. But "sugar addiction" envisions a person gulping the stuff by the handful. It doesn't happen.

I actually ate a 1/3 cup bowl of brown sugar by itself the other day. Maybe not quite a handful, though. :blush:
  • cmriverside
    Options
    ...and...I'm OUT! Have fun!!
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Just read through all the posts here. You will become enlightened.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10545011/how-to-battle-sugar-addiction#latest
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options

I know, right? - I started to address the 12 Step and anonymity thing, but I realized halfway through writing a rebuttal post to @SCoil123 about the other 12 Step programs that I just didn't care enough to continue the post. :lol:

Refute that there are multiple 12 step programs? Go right ahead lol, but you'd be wrong and that's all I said so.....not sure why you are tagging me
  • Snyderm0m
    Snyderm0m Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Please add me. I do have an addition to sugar and white flour. Reading post that don't like the idea of it being an addition is very upsetting. When I think of it that way it has helped me more than any other thoughts. If I start eating sugar and white flour I can not stop. I will eat and eat it. I have eaten a whole bag of chocolates in a sitting . I have binged on a loaf of white bread. It's like I think I will have one and ok two but then I look and I have eaten almost the whole bag in 5 minutes! I didn't even realize it.
    I spoke to my husband who is a recovering AA, woo hoo 5 years, he said it is just like that when he use to drink.
  • mistyjazz929
    mistyjazz929 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am sorry but I disagree with all the people who say sugar isn't an addiction. It very much is; as anyone who is addicted to it can tell you. It actually changes your brain chemistry which then makes you crave it more. Before the 1980's the food companies didn't add additional sugar to their foods. I.E. bread was never made with sugar. They began adding it when they realized that people would become addicted to it and thereby they would sell more bread. It worked and other companies followed suit.
  • jlamailbox
    jlamailbox Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am a recovering alcoholic AND a sugar addict. I personally know addiction very well and I can tell you both are addictive. I never ate sweets when I drank, but gradually over the 33 years I am sober, I found sugar as a new way to soothe myself. It started out innocently, and then gradually became a compulsion. The cravings were nearly as strong. I was eating sugar when I didn't want to. I was sneaking it and feeling all the loathing and shame I did when I drank. Studies of the brain show that the same brain chemicals and pathways are involved in both. It's uninformed and dismissive to say sugar is not addictive...especially if you haven't lived it.