New to lifting!

Options
VeganSarah0406
VeganSarah0406 Posts: 4 Member
edited April 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey Y'all! I'm not new to the workout world, but I am to lifting weights. I would say I'm a cardio bunny! So my question is how do you do your reps and sets? I've been doing 3 sets of 10 reps per machine or free weights. Should I try to do as many as I can to max out? I'm just trying to tone up a bit! Thanks so much!:)

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I like stronglifts 5x5.
  • VeganSarah0406
    Options
    Awesome! Thank you for your input:)
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Don't overly focus on a set number of reps. You want to reach failure in your workout. If you're completing 3x10 with the weight you're using bump the weight up
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    check out some of the popular lifting programs like stronglifts , or new rules of lifting for women or strong curves, etc. they will tell you exactly how many reps and sets and what you should do.
  • VeganSarah0406
    Options
    JoshD8705 wrote: »
    Don't overly focus on a set number of reps. You want to reach failure in your workout. If you're completing 3x10 with the weight you're using bump the weight up

That's what I've been told a few times, thank you for that! I think I do need to up my weight, just being new to it,I wasn't sure how to go about it.
  • JoshD8705
    Options
    3-6 reps of heavy weight for strength, and 8-12 of lighter weight for endurance. What's heavy and what's light is relative to your personal strength. No matter what though, you want to reach a point where you can't complete any more reps within those rep ranges.
  • SonyaCele
    Options
    3-6 reps of heavy weight for strength, and 8-12 of lighter weight for endurance. What's heavy and what's light is relative to your personal strength. No matter what though, you want to reach a point where you can't complete any more reps within those rep ranges.

if she's just starting out, this is bad advice, just saying. i'd never tell someone just starting and learning to lift to hit failure for a variety of reasons.

OP you just need to check out the beginner programs that are out there.
  • JoshD8705
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »

if she's just starting out, this is bad advice, just saying. i'd never tell someone just starting and learning to lift to hit failure for a variety of reasons.

That makes 0 sense. If you're not reaching failure you're just spinning wheels. Keep your form tight, reach failure, rest, and eat right. There's no reason to avoid failure.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    check out some of the popular lifting programs like stronglifts , or new rules of lifting for women or strong curves, etc. they will tell you exactly how many reps and sets and what you should do.

This. I would definitely recommend you follow a program.

I don't go near failure when I lift, guess I'm just spinning my wheels...

:p
  • JoshD8705
    Options
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    That's great that you train that way, but it's not necessary and will definitely depend on the program you are following.
    For example, I train glutes up to 6x per week.. if I burned them out all in one day I would ruin my subsequent training sessions for the week, which would obviously not be optimal for me.
  • SonyaCele
    Options

That makes 0 sense. If you're not reaching failure you're just spinning wheels. Keep your form tight, reach failure, rest, and eat right. There's no reason to avoid failure.

how about a good reason is that she's a beginner and needs to learn form and technique with a weight she can handle first ?
  • JoshD8705
    Options

how about a good reason is that she's a beginner and needs to learn form and technique with a weight she can handle first ?

I've already stated to keep form tight. You can train effectively, and still perfect your form. The form falling apart is a form of failure.
  • SonyaCele
    Options

I've already stated to keep form tight. You can train effectively, and still perfect your form. The form falling apart is a form of failure.

you have a lot to learn, grasshopper.
  • JoshD8705
    Options

you have a lot to learn, grasshopper.

Don't be condescending. I have a 1220lb Powerlifting total, and a 225 strict OHP. I know what's working.