Do you worry about MFP nutrients and macros?

Options
Or do you just worry about keeping under calorie goal?

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Both.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I make sure I get enough protein, but otherwise just calories
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Calories first, cause that's how you lose weight.

Then protein and fiber, cause that's how I feel full.

I don't have to worry about fat, that seems to take care of itself, lol.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I watch my calories first. Protein and fiber second because I struggle to get enough of both. I might keep an eye on my iron or calcium numbers but I don't stress them. And I make sure I get my veggie servings every day. For me, the rest falls into place easily.
  • crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I've never tracked macros and have only focused on calorie intake. Have had no problems hitting all my goals doing things that way :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,571 Member
    Options
    Worry no. Track it anyway, yes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I look at calories, protein and sodium. I don't really worry about the rest.
    No medical problems or need for a special diet for me.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,406 Member
    Options
    Only calories, for weight loss, but nutrients for nutrition/health. I wouldn't say "worry", but I pay attention.

My nutritional goals have evolved over time, since joining MFP. I'm vegetarian, so I'm conscientious about my protein minimum (0.6-0.8g per pound of goal weight, or 100g now that I'm in weight maintenance); strive for a fat minimum (around 0.4-.45g minimum per pound, and try to get some at each meal, especially when the meal has fruit/veggies), and a minimum of 5 servings of fruit/veg most days (usually it's way more, 10+, because I love veggies). I'd also worry about fiber, probably, but my veggie consumption easily handles that.

There's a reasonable argument for getting enough protein, as an aid to losing relatively less muscle while losing weight, but people differ about the definition of "enough".
  • freshmama06
    freshmama06 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • skinnycow1234567
    skinnycow1234567 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    both...Never realized how important macros are till i started following them.
  • Rosyone
    Rosyone Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I log protein first because getting enough can be difficult for me. Veggies and fruit aren't difficult as I like nearly all of them, but I usually log them next so I know how much room is left in my calorie budgets for bread, potatoes, and other starches. Then I decide on the starch. I don't pay much attention to fat and figure my diet is varied enough to provide the micronutrients I need.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I monitor my macros, but don't "worry" about them.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,937 Member
    Options
    Or do you just worry about keeping under calorie goal?

This.

• ashleighs148
    ashleighs148 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I only pay attention to the calories and that's working for me. I've tried keeping to macros but I find it impossible to get enough protein.
  • nationalvillage3215
    nationalvillage3215 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Although calorie tracking is king for weight loss, I do watch my macros to make sure I am getting a well balanced, healthy diet. Especially fiber to prevent colon and digestive tract issues (which I have had) which my doctors tell me the solution is fiber, fiber, fiber - 25-31 grams per day. Tracking fiber also ensures I am getting good amounts of fruits and vegetables instead loading up on fat and sugars for my calorie intake.
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    As I'm losing right now, all I care about it calories. After I hit my goal weight, I want to start lifting so I'll possibly pay a little attention to macros then. Really, it's more thought and effort than I want to put into my food consumption.
  • rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I try to keep an eye on protein, fiber, and iron (history of anemia) but I focus on calories.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I follow macros only. Unfortunately even if macros are all 0s I have had the calories still have some remaining. MFP isn't perfect, but I've found when I stick to my macros I get the results I want and the calories are closer to my goal. This is with scanning and checking packages and building my own recipes (avoiding generic and homemade).
  • sarahkw04
    sarahkw04 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm in what looks to be the minority as I only focus on macros. I'm working with a coach through Working Against Gravity who has me on a set of macros that equals out to between 1800-1900 a day. It's been almost a full month, and its been fascinating - when I was counting calories, I was eating less food, but a ton of calories. Now, I'm eating a TON of food - seriously, I eat all day long - and less calories.