Detoxing?

Options
I started on a 1200 calorie diet 3 weeks ago, recommended by my endocrinologist because I'm prediabetic and 310lbs. I wanted to get my eating and caffenine addiction under control before I started in the gym. After only a few slip ups and stopping soda cold turkey I started in the gym this week.

I feel amazing other than feeling nauseated, sleep deprived, and having the backdoor blues aka diarrhea. My son had the stomach flu earlier this week but I wasn't around him much since I work nights. Could this be my body detoxing itself? I've stuck to my diet for the most part and give 110% at the gym but don't quite feel my best due to the sickness.

I plan on consulting my personal trainer this week as well as my endo but mainly asking if anyone has felt anything similar.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Your body has been detoxing from birth. Detoxing is a scary word that is used in diet as a marketing tool.

Usually people see a large weight loss and feel a bit better in the first weeks due to the change in eating habits. Often we go from greasy fast food to leaner meats along with fruits and vegetables. Not that there is anything wrong with fast food, but you're now giving your body a better assortment of micronutrients (vitamins and minerals), fiber, and often times more water.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    Your son made you sick is what happened.

And this. This is why you feel nauseated with diarrhea. Your kid had the stomach flu, you caught it.
  • Luv2Dispatch911
    Luv2Dispatch911 Posts: 20 Member
    Options

Makes sense and had a feeling that's what was happening but was just curious if anyone has had the same thing happen to them their first week in the gym.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have never had that from the gym/workingout. It is possible if you did a big overhaul on your diet it might just be your GI readjusting to the new type of food too.

I agree that is is most likely kiddie germs though.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I started on a 1200 calorie diet 3 weeks ago, recommended by my endocrinologist because I'm prediabetic and 310lbs. I wanted to get my eating and caffenine addiction under control before I started in the gym. After only a few slip ups and stopping soda cold turkey I started in the gym this week.

I feel amazing other than feeling nauseated, sleep deprived, and having the backdoor blues aka diarrhea. My son had the stomach flu earlier this week but I wasn't around him much since I work nights. Could this be my body detoxing itself? I've stuck to my diet for the most part and give 110% at the gym but don't quite feel my best due to the sickness.

I plan on consulting my personal trainer this week as well as my endo but mainly asking if anyone has felt anything similar.

You got sick. Nothing to do with the gym.

As far as your diet, the doc recommended 1200 calories for you, at 310 pounds? He will be monitoring you I assume - that will be a big change for you.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

Makes sense and had a feeling that's what was happening but was just curious if anyone has had the same thing happen to them their first week in the gym.

Please stop going to the gym and spreading your germs!!

Good point!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

Yes while our bodies are always detoxing your major eating/moving changes can short term upset the apple cart.

Going to the gym like you are doing typically does increase your CRP levels and that may be another think making you feel bad. I have started taking Pycnogenol to lower my high CRP levels due to my diseased state but Pycnogenol is used by gym goers as well to help overcome their increased CRP levels.

Best of success and welcome to MFP forums. Below are some links that may or may not apply in your case.

https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24247188
    J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 2013 Dec;53(6):644-54.
    Evaluation of the effects of supplementation with Pycnogenol® on fitness in normal subjects with the Army Physical Fitness Test and in performances of athletes in the 100-minute triathlon.

"CONCLUSION:
    This study opens an interesting new application of the natural supplementation with Pycnogenol that, with proper hydration, good training and nutritional attention may improve training and performances both in normal subjects and in semi-professional athletes performing at high levels in difficult, high-stress sports such as the triathlon. "

prnewswire.com/news-releases/study-shows-pycnogenol-improves-fitness-and-muscle-recovery-240292841.htmlStudy Shows Pycnogenol® Improves Fitness And Muscle Recovery
    Supplementation with renowned pine bark extract shown effective in boosting muscle performance, increasing endurance and reducing cramping by controlling oxidative stress

This is just more study details mentioned above.

https://selfhacked.com/2016/11/04/c-reactive-protein/
    Everything You Need to Know about the C-reactive Protein (CRP)

@Luv2Dispatch911 this list the many disease risks that increase when we do anything (diet, gym, etc) that increases our CRP levels. Pycnogenol is just the best ONE supplement to lower CRP levels that I have found but there are many other options that helps the immune system to get and stay strong.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I was at your weight nearly and diabetic for over a decade.

All movement is going to help you. Pay attention to your joints and getting enough stretches after a workout. You don't want an injury setting you back.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    PS if I get sick I dial back the exercise and dial up the cuddle self care including lots of rest, chamomile and ginger tea, a good book and a blankie.
  • BeauNash
    BeauNash Posts: 103 Member
    Options

Please stop going to the gym and spreading your germs!!

And don't go back until at least 2 days after you start pooing a good solid stool again.