Eating back calories and Fitbit

Options
So I wear my Fitbit all day. I work at a day care and average around 6-7,000 steps daily. So by the time I get home I have supposedly burned around 300 calories. This may sound silly but do those calories really count as exercise calories? Should I eat some back? I'm currently 240 pounds and set to lose 2 pounds a week. I'm suppose to eat 1330 calories before any exercise. I just have felt kinda hungry lately but always feel really guilty even if I go over by 100 calories. :(

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,064 Member
    Options
    MFP is designed for you to eat back your calories from intentional exercise. I walk about 10-14000 steps per day and usually get an adjustment of around +700 calories and I eat the majority of these back.

Do you have yourself set to Lightly Active in MFP activity settings?
    Do you have negative adjustments enabled?

The easiest way to find out if your calorie adjustment is accurate is to eat either all of the calories or a fixed percentage of them (50% is a good starting point if you're worried it's not accurate), do this for 4 weeks and see if you're losing at the 2lb rate per week.

If you're losing more - eat more of the calories back
    If you're losing less - eat less of the calories back
  • jnomadica
    jnomadica Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Since my activity is pretty consistent from day to day, I just take my average calories burned per Fitbit and set my calorie target 500 calories below that. So, I average 2050 calories burned and my daily target to eat is 1550. So far this has come out to just about a pound a week lost.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    MFP will sync with your Fitbit and tell you if you should eat them back. Have you MFP set to sedentary? if so, then yes, eat them back and enable negative adjustments.
    Your body is telling you it needs more cals, it can't hurt to eat around 1500 at least especially if it helps you feel more satiated.
  • Naruya
    Naruya Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    As everyone said, MFP is designed for you to eat back your exercise calories. However, your regular daily activity is already included in the MFP average. From experience, sedentary expects you to take around 5000 steps before you start getting credit for extra calories. That's where the problem with Fitbit imo comes in: it overestimates. I find it hard to believe you're burning 300 calories with just 2000 steps.

Take me for example:
    My BMR (calories burned by just being alive) is 1550
    My NEAT (MFP calculated calories burned before exercise based on sedentary) is 1800

With the above example, there's a 250 calorie difference between the calories I burn by doing nothing at all, and what I burn if I don't exercise during the day, but do walk around a bit and do daily things. So I'd have to burn 250 calories with walking (which for me seems to be around 5k steps) before I would get credit for EXTRA calories. If I were to walk less than 5k, I'd get negative calories and would be able to eat less than 1800. This is how it works with my Apple Watch. When I had a Fitbit before it also overestimated for me and gave me too much credit.

So bottom line: I don't think your Fitbit is being accurate and is giving you too many extra calories for little work. But if you're hungry your deficit is too large and you should eat more, I think wanting to lose 2 lbs a week is too quick and leaves you with too little calories.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    OP said around 7000 steps for 300 cals and at 240lbs that calorie burn doesn't sound unreasonable.
  • Naruya
    Naruya Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    OP said around 7000 steps for 300 cals and at 240lbs that calorie burn doesn't sound unreasonable.

Yes but like I said, MFP uses NEAT which INCLUDES some steps already. In my experience this is around 5k steps before I should get credit (1800 - 1550 = 250) so that would mean that 7000-5000 steps = 2000 steps. 300 cals for 2k steps is too much, even at 240 lbs.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Naruya wrote: »

Yes but like I said, MFP uses NEAT which INCLUDES some steps already. In my experience this is around 5k steps before I should get credit (1800 - 1550 = 250) so that would mean that 7000-5000 steps = 2000 steps. 300 cals for 2k steps is too much, even at 240 lbs.

I'm assuming that the 300 calories are her exercise adjustment on MFP from having it synced with her Fitbit. If this is the case, the adjustment only begins when she exceeds the number of steps assumed for her NEAT.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Naruya wrote: »

I think it depends on where you have your activity level on MFP set also. At sedentary I start getting positive adjustments at about 2000 steps. At lightly active I get positive adjustments at about 3500.

I've been using my fitbit (I have a One) for years and it has always been pretty much accurate - I've lost, maintained and gained using the numbers it sends over to MFP.
  • buffinlovin
    buffinlovin Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I am an office worker, and a lot of my steps just come from walking in place and on my lunch break. I aim for 8500 steps a day, and have gone as much as 17000 steps. I feel my fitbit over-estimates my calories because i know walking in place doesn't burn the same number of calories as regular walking, so I use it as a buffer. I'll eat them if I'm hungry, if not it's just more of a deficit. :)
  • jessicalynch817
    jessicalynch817 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your thoughts guys! I do have my Fitbit adjusted to count negative calories and I also have MFP set to sedentary. I know I shouldn't feel guilty but it is hard!
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I also have a Fitbit One, have it set at lightly active (because I don't want a bunch of extra calories at the end of the day), & enable negative adjustments. Right now, I have done 38 minutes on treadmill & a little other movement, 5860 for steps & still have a -35 adjustment. Last Friday, I did 2 38 minute treadmill session & other walking for 17623 steps & it gave me 229 exercise calories. There were a few days in the last week that I did one treadmill walk & just general movement the rest of the day, ended with over 11,000 steps and still had a -22 adjustment. This seems small to me, is it because I am older (67) & relatively lighter (150)?
  • jessicalynch817
    Options
    Thanks so much Wino! So maybe I should change my setting to lightly active then?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much Wino! So maybe I should change my setting to lightly active then?

The 6-7000 steps you get during the work day, how many more do you get, what's your usual total number of steps? What does FitBit say your total calories burned is?
  • jessicalynch817
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

The 6-7000 steps you get during the work day, how many more do you get, what's your usual total number of steps? What does FitBit say your total calories burned is?

That is my total number of steps. As of right now I am not doing any exercise. I'm just trying to get my calories and eating right then I am gradually going to add in walking. At the end of most days I have about 7,000+ steps and around 300-400 calories burned. I also noticed on days that let's say I run around the playground with the kids, but take the same amount or less steps I burn more calories. I noticed someone else said that too. I have a Fitbit Alta if that makes any difference. I mainly just set mfp to sedentary because I figured it would give me the least amount of calories and if I stayed under that amount WITH the "added" Fitbit calories I would lose a lot quicker. So for example today Fitbit said I burned 350 calories. I start out with 1,330 calories. In total I ate around 1,200 calories today. So would I really have 480 calories left? Or should I just stay at that 1,330?
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,064 Member
    Options
    If you set yourself as Lightly Active you will get a higher calorie goal so it's up to yourself really. Losing quicker isn't necessarily better.

Where you've mentioned a higher burn from running around rather than normal steps, I'm not using Fitbit so not sure of their specs - if it's a model with heart rate monitor it will be detecting that you're burning more from moving faster.
  • KWlosingit
    KWlosingit Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My Fitbit does not have a heart monitor but mine still seems to give more calories for moving quicker