what embarrassing moment made you want to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• BaddS4
    BaddS4 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    When buying an XXL was too tight and was gonna have to go shop for clothes at the tall and fat stores..... That and people tagging me in photos and seeing how bad it had become!!! What a wake up call that was!!!
  • mgbond21
    mgbond21 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was always really active in high school. I played soccer and ran track. I was always active so I never worried about what I ate. When I got to college, I wasn't really active anymore, but I didn't change my eating habits. I realized that in two years, I had slowly gained 20 lbs! I couldn't fit into my favorite clothes anymore and I knew I needed to fix it!
  • aerial102
    aerial102 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Mine was when my cousin's bridesmaid dress wouldn't fit me. It was super embarrassing. They had to choose a whole new dress entirely.
  • meg314159
    meg314159 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I split my pants, twice. Both times in public...but that wasn't embarrassing enough to spur me to action.

A coworker asked if I was having a boy (a BOY! Like, she didn't just think I was pregnant, she thought I was pregnant enough to know the sex of the baby!)...Still didn't do it.

Anyhow, a couple of weeks ago, I just felt like I was ready. So I wasn't motivated by my embarrassing moments, but I thought I'd still share them for a giggle.
  • ulcaster555
    ulcaster555 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    It wasn't an embarrassing moment for me but a health issue, I was about 45lbs overweight and got the news from the doc that I had diabetes type 2 an high cholesterol, which made it a life or death issue. The decision was easy, the long road was difficult to a certain point.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Honestly nothing embarrassing ever happened that catapulted me. It was actually work. I hated my job, to the point where I was having panic attacks and felt completely trapped as the economy here is pretty stagnant and my attempts to get out hadn't been going in the right direction. My weight had gotten worse, probably from all the stress eating and lack of exercise, I actually decided to take control so I had a purpose so to speak, something I could focus on other than how unhappy and miserable I felt. I just left that job finally this year and I am so much happier in all aspects of my life.
  • XenaCruz1
    XenaCruz1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It wasn't the defining moment I decided to start my journey, which really began after I went to a doctor two weeks ago, and was given a referral for a consultation about bariatric surgery (sounds scary!), which is embarrassing enough, but just a few weeks ago, a mentally ill neighbor of mine, who basically says whatever he thinks, decided to tell me: "You have more rolls than a Roman bakery." I hadn't heard a fat insult in years, usually people judge you silently then pass over over on job interviews and dating websites, so just hearing something like that from someone was a sharp reminder that my weight, and subsequent low self-esteem, may be holding me back from where I want to be at this point in my life.
  • SisalKeenly
    SisalKeenly Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My sister and I always shared clothes. One of us was always a little heavier (usually her) but we were always close enough that we could share. A few years ago we moved to opposite coasts, and she started living a really healthy lifestyle while me not so much. We met up to attend a wedding in Florida in December, and it was clear that we could not share clothes anymore. It was a struggle to zip up my dress for the ceremony. Putting on summer clothes in the middle of winter made it all the more apparent. So call it sibling rivalry, but I am NOT going to be the fat sister!

But in all seriousness, seeing the conscientiousness with which she ate and still enjoyed food was an eye opener. I haven't told her but I've been using her as a model for how to eat healthier while also having a sense of adventure with my food.
  • thickthick2thickfit
    Options
    You should tell her !:)
  • reichardtjessica
    reichardtjessica Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    When shopping for undies at places like Wal-Mart is hard. They only make sexy undies for skinny girls. I have to buy mine at places like lane bryant and spend $10 for 1 pair.
  • kevinf2380
    kevinf2380 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    My kids were using my belly as a drum. I asked for them to do this with their own bellies and they both commented that mine was perfect because it was sooooo big.
  • FitWitBrit
    FitWitBrit Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I took a trip with my mom to Washington DC back in 2014. I was having a blast but when I got home and saw the pictures we had taken and saw what I looked like I was devastated. I had been living in denial and those pictures were a slap in the face. I was so embarrassed that I locked the album on facebook and even untagged myself from a few. I realized that if it made me so uncomfortable that it put a damper on a trip with me and my mom, it was time to do something.
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I had a pair of jeans dubbed "my driving jeans". Aka jeans that I could wear for long drives (2+hours) and not want to scream from being so uncomfortable. Although my real moment was when my Dr told me after some routine blood work that my liver wasn't gonna last ten more years like this.
  • JEE2015
    JEE2015 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I didn't recognize myself in some pictures of a trip my daughter and I had gone on. Plus could barely fit in the plane seat!!!! :(
  • AvidAdrienne
    AvidAdrienne Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    When I didn't want to take any photos with my daughter because of how big I looked, and I realized I may not ever have photos with her if I continue the cycle. I was 250lbs when she was born, I was 149 by the time she was 5... I scheduled a professional photo shoot for us when I hit my goal, the photos hang on my wall and inspire me now.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    When I found a perfect wedding dress in my old dress size (14) and it was way too small, Luckily I was able to have a corset made and it looked great, however after getting my wedding pictures back and not liking my double chin and arms, among other things, I decided to start MFP, only a few weeks in but almost 10 lbs down, and once i get to goal I plan on having my dress re altered and getting some new wedding pics done that I would be happy to hang up.
  • ana_varn
    ana_varn Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Couldn't wear jeans and the thought that I weighed more than a healthy-weight tall MAN. I am a 5'1'' small framed gal.
  • ana_varn
    ana_varn Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Maybe I weighed the equal of a healthy- weight man and his 30 lbs dog.
  • TheJourneyToFabulous
    TheJourneyToFabulous Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    When I couldnt find a nice dress for new years as they dont have very many nice ones for larger women, and having to go to the plus size sections in shops is embarrasing.
  • wattup2014
    wattup2014 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This isn't embarrassing really... my coworker recently lost about 30 pounds and she looks great! That made me think a lot about getting serious enough to lose weight.