Lost quickly then stalled..help!!

Options
GnicoleL
GnicoleL Posts: 16 Member
edited April 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Two weeks ago i started eating 1700 calories and only drink water... I eat sensible; grilled chicken ,veggies, some fruits and alittle light dairy as im not a fan of much except yogurt and maybe alittle cheese occasionally. I went from 213 to 202 an was excited about eating healthy an losing but now im stalled... Should i be eating less calories and any suggestions on working out? I walk all the time and i rigorously clean a large office building 3 times a week and try to make it somewhat of a workout routine but not sure what to do other than that. Im having a hard time with my midsection..it seems like the only area im really not ok with at the moment.

Replies

• GnicoleL
    Options
    Thanks! I really try to log Everything i eat and have made it a point not to use any extras like condiments an what not.. I was completely addicted to sugar so when i started this diet i vowed not to eat any added sugars although i do love apples and peanut butter but in small portions... I feel like im eating correctly but maybe im stressing to much!
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Something I noticed with exercise and weight loss is that the more I work out the less quickly I lose weight. This is the only time I have ever tracked waist, hip, thigh and other measurements and would highly recommend it. I lost 1 measly little pound but lost 1/2 inch off my waist, 1/2 inch off my hips and 3/4 inch of each thigh. I totally understand wanting the scale to move but it isnt always reflective of the work put in like a measuring tape.
  • GnicoleL
    Options
    I am also wondering if anyone can help me with my macros im not understanding what percentages i should be eating with carbs...i dont eat bread an have a wrap everynow and then but im finding im going over my carb limits with corn and sweet potatoes an things like that...is that ok if its not such a big overage?
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Couple of things. If you really did cut down on carbs, then you lost a lot of water weight to start which is why you had the quick start. Your food diary is closed so it's hard to comment on your food choices or logging.

Many here don't purposely look at carbs, but focus on calories first, then making sure they get adequate protein. I'm in that camp. I want 100-125 g of protein a day, a certain amount of fiber and to be AT my calorie goal (not under). I let fat and carbs land where they may. I've lost over 80 lbs since August so it's working for me.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Going over certain macros is okay and won't stall weight loss. I personally make sure to get protien and fibre in for satiety. I still eat lots of sugar/snacks since calories are king for weight loss.

Have you been stalled for at least 6 weeks? Do you use a food scale to weigh all solid and semi solid food and cups/spoons for liquids only? Do you log everything everyday?

How long have you been trying to lose weight for? Are you close to TotM? Recently increased exercise? Any recent High sodium days?
  • GnicoleL
    Options
    I have only been dieting 2 weeks and lost that quickly and i dont weight anything just sort of eyeball my portions ...either 1 cup..half cup or 4th cup portions and i do log everything i eat . If i make my diary public could i get a couple of honest comments on what im eating? I went from eating alot of really unhealthy crap to eating what i think is good but still not completely sure
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    GnicoleL wrote: »
    I have only been dieting 2 weeks and lost that quickly and i dont weight anything just sort of eyeball my portions ...either 1 cup..half cup or 4th cup portions and i do log everything i eat . If i make my diary public could i get a couple of honest comments on what im eating? I went from eating alot of really unhealthy crap to eating what i think is good but still not completely sure

Studies have shown that humans are generally terrible at eyeballing portion size (I know I am!). If you've stalled, it may be time to consider a more accurate way of measuring your intake.
  • GnicoleL
    Options
    I am looking into buying a scale for sure now lol
  • KeysKat
    KeysKat Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    1700 calories a day seems kinda high for weight loss - unless you are very active. Where did you come up with that number?
  • CopperB73
    CopperB73 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing really well GnicoleL: not at all easy to change from eating a lot of processed sugar.

I think it's normal to see a big weight drop at first that then slows down, so don't beat yourself up. Quite likely nothing's going wrong - just keep going. :smile:

"When you hit that first plateau and you’re not improving as fast as you were before, congratulations! You’re no longer a beginner!”
    Diane Fu, weightlifting coach (but it's true for lots of things, I think)

Macros? This might help :
    http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/ask-the-dietitian-whats-the-best-carb-protein-and-fat-breakdown-for-weight-loss/

Notice there's quite a big range that's ok.

Also, it's much better to be getting your carbs in corn or sweet potatoes than in (say) soda or cake. That's because the carbs in veg are released more slowly, & so are less likely to be stashed as fat.

• GnicoleL
    Options
    I used a calorie calculator honestly an it said around 1700 to lose a pound per week and 1200 to lose 2 pounds per week...with the way i was eating before i started eating better i didnt want to drastically drop an end up with headaches an things like that.. It had happened to me previously when i tried to diet last year after quitting smoking
  • GnicoleL
    Options
    I often came up short though on my daily calories eating anywhere between 1300 and 1600
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I used a calorie calculator honestly an it said around 1700 to lose a pound per week and 1200 to lose 2 pounds per week...with the way i was eating before i started eating better i didnt want to drastically drop an end up with headaches an things like that.. It had happened to me previously when i tried to diet last year after quitting smoking

This is a very sensible and reasonable approach. I applaud you for this. Even if you go a bit under, this is an excellent attitude and should help for your long term weight loss.
  • GnicoleL
    Options
    Thanks...i really want to lose the weight an i know if i felt horrible from a drastic change i might quit or give in...i really love sweets so its already a challenge but i found ways to get around it...i just eat prunes and apples an i recently discovered dates...all in moderation of course..
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    KeysKat wrote: »
    1700 calories a day seems kinda high for weight loss - unless you are very active. Where did you come up with that number?

What are you basing this on? It's a perfectly reasonable calorie goal for weight loss given OP's stats.
  • GnicoleL
    Options
    So if i gradually reduce to a stable say 1300 or 1400 a day of the right foods i could get past a plataeu?
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    shes lost 7 pounds in 2 weeks that means her stall would be like...what a day? Your fine but do take these posts to heart and learn from them, good info here. altho none fits you right now anyway

reason you lost fast was water weight/lack of huge amounts of food in your belly. now your moving on to fat burn its a good thing

get a scale. 100%
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    So if i gradually reduce to a stable say 1300 or 1400 a day of the right foods i could get past a plataeu?

You're not in a plateau. It's just been two weeks and you've lost weight during that time.