Cook at home or eat out? Which do you do more often?

Options
We're restaurant dropouts. Since becoming vegan a couple of years ago, my husband and I have noticed that we never go out to eat anymore. I mean never. It's a good thing that I like to cook, but I would like a break now and then and there are so few choices, even though we live in a major metro area, it's just easier to cook simple meals at home. Now, with me counting calories like this I think it would be simply overwhelming to eat out on a regular basis, yet I have friends who say they "never cook". I don't understand how people do that. Do most people on this website cook or go out to eat?

Replies

• Danelectro83
    Options
    i stil go out like once a month, its hard to go out and find something healthy without eating like a rabbit. Also, i am a chef, so cooking my own food is better anyway.
  • yankeefamily05
    Options
    I cook alot at home! Much cheaper and I can control what I am eating because I know what is in my food.

But every once in awhile we do go out!

Like tonight, I wasn't cooking during this heatwave!
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I definitely cook more at home than eat out. On average I probably eat out at a restaurant once every two weeks. Most of the time, I can cook what is served at restaurants with lesser calories, still good taste, and I know exactly what's being put into it. I'm vegetarian, so I'm always worried about cross contamination. But there are definitely nights where I don't want to cook, too hot out, or not in the mood, so I'll go eat at a restaurant.
  • KatiePanda25
    Options
    If I go out to eat it's usually subway or quiznos (minus their dressings,lol) or Applebees- they have a pretty good selection..but I guess not if your vegan :(
  • Foreverfree11
    Options
    I give myself one cheat meal a week that is eaten at a restaurant and then try to eat the rest of my meals at home. Knowing I have that one "treat" each week makes eating mostly at home not so bad. That's just what works for me! :)
  • FabiolaEnvy♥
    Options
    i cook a lot at home, but its so hard to cook sometime after a long day at work.

but i rather have food at home, since i know how it is made, and what is in it and what not.
    for sure there will be no hidden calories

once in a while when family wants to eat out, ill go with them
    or i forgot to bring my own lunch to work
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    most resturants you go to, you can just ask ffor a grilled piece of fish or chicken with veggies and ask for no added oil or butter and they will gladly do that for you. you can even get a small steak, just cut off the fat.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    It depends. This week we are eating at home a lot because I am just flat out broke. It gets expensive w/ 5 people going out to eat ~ even with 2 of them eating off the kids menu. We generally eat out (between breakfast, lunch and dinner) about 3-5 times a week, tho. It is much easier to control my cal intake at home!
  • Queen_JessieA
    Options
    It depends. This week we are eating at home a lot because I am just flat out broke. It gets expensive w/ 5 people going out to eat ~ even with 2 of them eating off the kids menu. We generally eat out (between breakfast, lunch and dinner) about 3-5 times a week, tho. It is much easier to control my cal intake at home!
  • abookreader2
    abookreader2 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I cook, it is much easier to stay in my calorie goal and I can eat more and not feel hungry by cooking at home. If I eat out, I usually end up with a salad. I also have two young kids and I think home cooking is much healthier for them also. They do not even know what to get if we go out because they are not used to those types of foods. We do end up going out on weekends (usually kids stay with gma) because my husband loves eating out. I try to tell him it is not healthy, but he does not listen LOL
  • baddkitty187
    baddkitty187 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Diner beware a recent independent study shown that restaurants advertised calorie content is oftn off by up to 300 calories!!!! I eat in most often and pack my lunches for work.
  • crazycat80
    crazycat80 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I used to eat out only once a week or so, but at my new job they seem like they go out almost every day. I try to limit it to once, but sometimes it's hard. I prefer to cook enough for 2-3 days worth of lunches and dinners, then have nights I list as "whatever". Sometimes it's leftovers, sometimes it's soups or sandwiches.
  • JustBreathe418
    JustBreathe418 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I don't eat out unless I have a reason to (i.e. someone's bday, meeting with friends, etc.) and I cook my own food when I'm not out. I also pack breakfast, lunch, and snacks for work everyday. It's a lot of effort, but eventually it just became a habit. I like knowing exactly what is in my food, most of the time anyway :)
  • Queen_JessieA
    Options
    When the kids are in school, my husband and I generally eat out for lunch almost every day. He works from home and is a bad influence...lol...
  • amyd03
    amyd03 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    we go out mostly. still trying to get my mr out of it. he went a whole month of me cooking and went right back to wantign to eat out. i perfer to cook.
  • stc74
    stc74 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Money is tight so I cook at home or do Taco Bell fresco dollar taco. I only get to eat out when my Mom want to which once a week, or two weeks. She knows I"m broke but doesn't like to eat alone. I pay for it in computer repairs and other electronic services. :) Still not sure if she can set the time on the microwave w/o me. LOL!!!

I do like to cook anyway. Figured out how to make a mexican dish with deer this week. I know you said you were vegi or vegan, but we do eat a lot of deer here. Can't get much more organic than deer. :) love the stuff! not to mention the deer I eat, won't run in front of YOUR car!
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    The former.
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Since being on this journey to new lifestyle I have not been out to eat at all. No matter the calories restaurant food has way too much sodium. Salads would be ok but why pay $10 for a salad I can make for $5. Plus my BF cooks all our meals from scratch so it makes it easier just to eat at home!

4925355.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • stc74
    stc74 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    oh didn't mention that if i don't brown bag my lunch for work, i'm stuck with school food! Yuck! I never eat out for lunch during the school year. Left overs or protein shakes and peanuts here.
  • swinginchandra
    swinginchandra Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Absolutely cook at home. A) I like cooking. B) Dreaming up new meals is how I get through the day! C) I can control calorie intake better D) It's less stress!!

I go out to eat VERY occasionally. Try to make the best choices I can, but it's such a rare thing that I don't stress about it too much.