Best but easiest work out machine?

Options
I would like to get a compact work out machine that is suitable for a beginner. Which ones are best for weight loss?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,725 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't about exercise. It's about consumption of calories. One doesn't NEED to exercise to lose weight. You exercise to improve health and fitness.
    I mentioned it in your other thread, but a suspension trainer is affordable and doesn't take up space.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Are you talking about cardio machine or a strength machine? I'd recommend visiting a gym on a free trial and using some of the equipment there - you'll find out first hand what you do and don't enjoy. As for weight loss, make sure you're eating less calories than you are burning. You don't need any machine to lose weight. Cardio machines/workout are good for cardiovascular or heart health. Strength machines are good for building muscle/strength.

Good luck!
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    What they said ^^^^.

And in addition to their suggestions, a pair of running shoes is pretty darn compact and suitable for any experience level.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    JenHuedy wrote: »
    What they said ^^^^.

And in addition to their suggestions, a pair of running shoes is pretty darn compact and suitable for any experience level.

I was about to suggest some running shoes as well when I saw this post.

For weight loss alone, eat less. For fitness & strength...

Cardio: I personally can't stand hampster wheels and absolutely will not do cardio on machines except for a 5 minute elliptical warm-up before weightlifting (and I absolutely despise those 5 boring-AF minutes each and every time). So my preference would be for running shoes, trail running/XC shoes, running snowshoes, road bike, roller blades long before an exercise machine.

Strength: Personally, if I didn't prefer to workout outside the house, then a barbell, plate set, collar, adjustable bench, and rack would be nice purchase (no waiting for a rack/bench/barbell/hunting for collars would be awesome, and at <$600 to get a barbell, plate set, collars, adjustable bench, rack - somewhat tempting compared to the gym membership)..but I would have trouble coaxing myself off to dancing afterward.

I would suggest trying the gym first and seeing what you like doing in terms of machines. Also- if you are not finding the time for the outside gym, there is a pretty good chance that anything you buy (especially if you haven't confirmed that you don't hate doing it) would just turn into an expensive clothes rack.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Swim suit/runners, check out you are your own gym, no equipment needed.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I like the Gazelle Edge glider. It's primarily for cardio, but it also helps to strengthen muscles. While that's not its primary purpose, it's certainly an extra benefit. I also take long walks (leisurely pace, for the most part) and use resistance tubes for further strength work.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    check out the Suspension trainers, like the TRX. i have one in my living room in front of the TV and use it every day for many years. its the best piece of equip i have ever bought.
  • weeman123
    weeman123 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Appreciate everyone taking the time to reply! Some great advice and will be looking into a few different options now. I have 3 kids though and I work, so really looking for something to do while they are in bed. Too many machines to chose from. Had the maxi climber but I am far too unfit for that!
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I totally get it. For YEARS I was a single mom, running on a treadmill every night after the kiddo went to bed. It was really the only way I could do it. I did most of my first half marathon training on a treadmill.

So there's that - a treadmill. Useful for all levels of fitness. But they can be expensive and take up a lot of space, so really, I don't recommend it.

Honestly, I'd recommend trying some workout videos and see if you can find one you like. Inexpensive and no bulk.
  • weeman123
    weeman123 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    I totally get it. For YEARS I was a single mom, running on a treadmill every night after the kiddo went to bed. It was really the only way I could do it. I did most of my first half marathon training on a treadmill.

So there's that - a treadmill. Useful for all levels of fitness. But they can be expensive and take up a lot of space, so really, I don't recommend it.

Honestly, I'd recommend trying some workout videos and see if you can find one you like. Inexpensive and no bulk.

It is hard isn't it..I wish I had the time to go to the gym and a cleaning/clothes washing fairy sorted out my house while I was away! I had a treadmill a couple of years ago but ended up getting sore knees and as arthritis runs in my family I thought I best find something more suitable. Sonye mentioned about the suspension trainer, have u tried this? I had never heard of one but sounds good.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Easiest is paying someone else to do the elliptical for you.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    If you're looking for something compact to fit into a small space in your home, I'd suggest a stationary bike. Mine is quite old and plain, but perfectly serviceable for raising my heart rate for 30 minutes, and easy on the knees. Its about 4 feet long and 2 feet wide. Used listings and garage sales are your friend.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    The one indoors cardio 'machine' I've considered before was a trainer for my road bike. Software like Zwift lets you virtually ride with others.
  • SonyaCele
    Options
    weeman123 wrote: »
    JeepHair77 wrote: »

It is hard isn't it..I wish I had the time to go to the gym and a cleaning/clothes washing fairy sorted out my house while I was away! I had a treadmill a couple of years ago but ended up getting sore knees and as arthritis runs in my family I thought I best find something more suitable. Sonye mentioned about the suspension trainer, have u tried this? I had never heard of one but sounds good.

Suspension trainers are great, you can use them for so many different workouts, strength , some cardio and stretches etc , its so versatile and takes up no room. Google TRX, its really popular, most gyms have them these days, and a lot of people on MPF use them. its not a gimmick , its a legit thing. And there are tons of videos you can get with workouts, or design your own. If you are looking for for a cardio machine, check out your local thrift stores they almost always have used stationary bikes or treadmills for really cheap.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    TRX is great and easy to adapt to any fitness level.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I'd say an elliptical or a spin bike. Low impact if you have bad knees and great for maximizing calorie burn.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Got to go with a bicycle on this. It's so easy that even children use it.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    the op might need to know if the trx needs any kind of special stuff like drilling holes into walls. not that i've ever seen one in the wild afaik, but most of the pictures i've come across seem like the do.

just mentioning in case it's a factor.
  • SonyaCele
    Options
    you can mount them in the ceiling, . But they also can mount over door frames or tree branch, or anything sturdy without any drilling holes
  • croftie4
    croftie4 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells - very time efficient, take up little space, cardio and strength in one. Hell of a lot cheaper than a machine, fun as you can mix up the workouts.