Getting no where

Options
Help! I've just given up smoking (6 weeks ago), I knew that I would lost probably put on weight so as soon as I started taking Champix I started going back to the gym big time. I've now been going 4, mostly 5 times a week for the last two months - both cardio (interval run training/cross trainer/bike) and weights - I'm getting so despondent at my lack of progress-or rather, my putting on of weight! I'm careful about my eating and have always responded well to training up until now. I really don't seem to be making an ounce (pardon the pun) of progress and 'keeping the faith' is gettin really damn difficult! Has anyone else had this problem? I'm 43 and have even had hormones checked etc to make sure I'm not missing any other reasons for weight gain. Up until 6 months ago, weight loss was not impossible

Replies

• BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    First, congrats on quitting smoking! You've just made a huge commitment to your health just by doing that!

Second, is it possible that you are replacing the movements of smoking (hand to mouth) with eating more than you realize?

I would suggest logging every single thing you eat for a week and seeing how many calories you eat per day. It's often more than people think. :)
  • saladams1
    saladams1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Naturally. I've even taken my intake down to ensure any little sneaky over eats are actually accounted for. I'm well aware that I could be in a little denial so I've lowered my calorie goal to 1000 per day where as it was 1200. I'm also burning around 700 5x a week at the gym
  • kpeterson539
    kpeterson539 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Are you using a digital scale to measure every bit of food that you're eating?

Also, unless you're extremely petite or extremely elderly, you shouldn't be going under 1,200 calories a day. This is to ensure you're getting a balanced amount of nutrient.
  • stanase70
    stanase70 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Might not be for everybody but I was in same boat as you until I discovered Keto. Once I drastically reduced the sugars and focused on eating fat I start losing weight right away. Now after 3 week , lost almost 18 lbs , the weight loss is slower to about 6-8 oz /day but is constant without requiring me to go hungry at all.
    I do use Myfitnessapp religiously to record everything what enters my mouth except water or unsweetened tea and always watch both calories and macros to keep my intake of calories under 70% of my maintenance intake.
  • zehrjordan
    zehrjordan Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    stanase70 wrote: »
    Might not be for everybody but I was in same boat as you until I discovered Keto. Once I drastically reduced the sugars and focused on eating fat I start losing weight right away. Now after 3 week , lost almost 18 lbs , the weight loss is slower to about 6-8 oz /day but is constant without requiring me to go hungry at all.
    I do use Myfitnessapp religiously to record everything what enters my mouth except water or unsweetened tea and always watch both calories and macros to keep my intake of calories under 70% of my maintenance intake.
    I agree I think eating under 1200 is probably not the best idea, I would try going all natural and cut out all simple sugars, use olive oil cocunut oil stuff like that. But if your working out that much you will eventually see results. Some of your weight gain might actually be muscle your putting on.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    saladams1 wrote: »
    Naturally. I've even taken my intake down to ensure any little sneaky over eats are actually accounted for. I'm well aware that I could be in a little denial so I've lowered my calorie goal to 1000 per day where as it was 1200. I'm also burning around 700 5x a week at the gym

How are you measuring your intake? If you aren't losing, you're likely eating more than you think.
  • saladams1
    Options
    I'm not using a digital scale. I've been using fitness pal for years now and it's always been a great way of keeping track of what I eat and my general health. I've been ruled somewhat by food since I was a teenager and I'm fighting the battle for it not to take over my life although recently it feels that way. I have a fairly healthy lifestyle, I just don't feel like 'me' any more and as much as I am doing all the right things (giving up smoking, eating healthy, exercise) I dont feel in control
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    zehrjordan wrote: »
    stanase70 wrote: »
    I agree I think eating under 1200 is probably not the best idea, I would try going all natural and cut out all simple sugars, use olive oil cocunut oil stuff like that. But if your working out that much you will eventually see results. Some of your weight gain might actually be muscle your putting on.

It's extremely difficult for women to gain muscle, and even moreso in a calorie deficit
  • WendyB1211
    WendyB1211 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm 47 and my metabolism completely stalled out in the last 12-months. My doctor suggested the whole30 diet to reset my metabolism and IT WORKED!! I lost 9.8 pounds in the first 30-days! Plus, make sure you're actually eating enough. I was eating around 800-1000 calories per day when I started gaining weight. I'm now consuming an average of 1,200 calories and the weight is falling off. I also hit the gym 5x per week for about 45-minutes per day. I suggest you use an online calculator to find out how many calories you should be consuming in order to lose weight and then try the Whole30 diet. It's seriously a game changer for women over 40.
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

First of all why are you only eating 1000 calories? 1200 is the minimum for ladies. However, since from what I read you're not weighing your food you're probably eating more than a thousand calories. Secondly, what workout are you doing that you think you're burning 700 calories? That does sound like an overestimation.

Personally, I think you're not progressing as you would like because you're probably not being accurate in your intake of food. You're eating more than you realize. If you don't have a food scale buy one, and start using it. This should help you out. If you input your information into MyFitnessPal eat the calories information provided to you.
    If you share your height and weight we may be able to help you out more as well.

Congrats on quitting smoking as well.
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    I'm not using a digital scale. I've been using fitness pal for years now and it's always been a great way of keeping track of what I eat and my general health. I've been ruled somewhat by food since I was a teenager and I'm fighting the battle for it not to take over my life although recently it feels that way. I have a fairly healthy lifestyle, I just don't feel like 'me' any more and as much as I am doing all the right things (giving up smoking, eating healthy, exercise) I dont feel in control

You have two options here: invest in a digital scale and start weighing your food, or cut down your portions while staying at 1200 calories. Estimating may have worked for you in the past, but it might not be anymore.

I agree the digital food scale will help the Op out.
  • kpeterson539
    kpeterson539 Posts: 220 Member
    Options

I really hate to say it but if you're not measuring what you're taking in, you really don't know how much it is. The scales are only $10-15. I believe you'd be surprised at the inaccuracy of your logging by eyeballing.

Also, maybe try baby steps. You've quit smoking and started eating better. Maybe just ride that wave for a little bit to then take the next step of starting to accurately log your food by weighing it.

• saladams1
    Options
    Thank you thank you thank you! What is the Whole30 diet? It certainly does feel like my body has 'stalled'. I've been to the doctors and had all sorts checked out to no avail-but it was clearly the first thought in my mind at my age! I've always been active and my body has always responded well but the last year seems to have been sluggish plus quitting smoking has really kicked things into down mode.....
  • moshemel
    moshemel Posts: 1 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I am in the same situation. I'm monitoring everything I eat and was keeping it under 1100 calories per day, some days only 800 calories, working out at least 5 days a week with a couple hours of intense workouts each day. I wasn't seeing any change. I just started with a personal trainer and he said I'm not eating enough. My body is going into "starvation mode" and storing my food. Per his advise, I'm going to bump it to 1500 calories, increasing protein intake since I'm weightlifting and see if there's any change! I know what its like to be stuck for months and months at the same weight. Also- Don't be too worried about the number on the scale. You're probably gaining muscle.
  • saladams1
    Options
    Thanks. That is encouraging to hear. I'm getting angry at people dissing me for not weighing EVERYTHING I eat! I'm 145lbs and I'd like to be back to my 'normal' 136. I'd like to continue to have a healthy relationship with food, not an obsessional one.