Exercising with a baby

marvelfe31
marvelfe31 Posts: 15 Member
edited April 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Does anyone incorporate their baby into their workouts?? What do you do? My son is 3 months and barely naps. So I find I don't have as much time to workout at home like I used to when he would sleep. We try to go for daily walks as long as the weather is nice but lately it's been rainy and cold. Any ideas how to use him to burn some calories?? Lol thanks!

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I think Ellen Barrett did a DVD with her baby a few years back. See if your local library has this.........https://www.collagevideo.com/products/ellen-barretts-happy-baby-fit-mama
  • marvelfe31
    This looks fun! Thank you!
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Literally yesterday one of my friends had her water break while doing squats at the gym. I don't think this is what you meant though ha.
  • marvelfe31
    brdnw wrote: »
    Literally yesterday one of my friends had her water break while doing squats at the gym. I don't think this is what you meant though ha.

Ha! I was scared of that when I was pregnant! That's crazy though!
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    I've no sensible suggestions. I was thinking life with a little one is a round of exercises. Enjoy it while you can, mine has ones of his own now.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    I've got a 3 month old, 4 year old, and 6 year old. I go to the gym either after they go to bed or on my lunch break at work.
  • marvelfe31
    I've got a 3 month old, 4 year old, and 6 year old. I go to the gym either after they go to bed or on my lunch break at work.

My kids are all the same ages as your :) plus a 10 year old. I have a gym membership but with the hours my husband works I can only hit it on the weekends. Suckssss.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    One thing that I wish someone had told me when my little man was that young is that you can set him under the activity gym nearby while you do your workout. It's ok if you need to hit pause on a workout video to change a diaper, feed, or calm an upset baby.

When I was 3 mo post pregnancy, I was working through Jamie Eason's Post Pregnancy Program. The thing I really liked about it was the fact that it has a lot of circuits. My guy was a short napper and I could squeeze in a couple of circuits while he was sleeping. In retrospect, I wish I had felt the freedom to workout while he was awake.
    https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-post-pregnancy-trainer-months-1-3.html?searchTerm=Jamie Eason's post
  • smal48
    smal48 Posts: 102 Member
    When my lo was that age I tried to do 15 - 20 minute workout videos while he was napping. I rarely got to finish a workout because he was a terrible napper and only wanted to sleep on me. I did frequently end up using him as a dumbbell while I desperately tried to finish routines...
    In the end I just got family to have him for an hour a couple of times a week so I could exercise properly.
    There are some sling dancing videos on YouTube if you like that idea.

Take it easy though. If your son is like mine and neither naps nor sleeps properly through the night, you need to get rest at any opportunity!
  • croftie4
    croftie4 Posts: 221 Member
    I started kettlebells when I had my youngest he loved just watching me and because they are very time efficient you can still get a serious burn with just 20 minutes. They also provide you with a bit of cardio as well as strength
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    i used to bench and/or leg-press mine. you have to watch out for the drool factor though.
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,863 Member
    You tube have quite a few exercises with a baby. Just type in 'exercises with a baby' and they come up. Several on there.
  • LazyButHealthy
    LazyButHealthy Posts: 257 Member
    marvelfe31 wrote: »
    Does anyone incorporate their baby into their workouts?? What do you do? My son is 3 months and barely naps. So I find I don't have as much time to workout at home like I used to when he would sleep. We try to go for daily walks as long as the weather is nice but lately it's been rainy and cold. Any ideas how to use him to burn some calories?? Lol thanks!

Some of my new mum friends have found M&B groups that meet in the park for a group work out. All the prams around them and they can jump in and out of the class without judgement because they're all in the same boat.

Another has a gym where you can bring babies (idelaly sleeping!) to the class at her gym.

Might be worth asking around your community? And if something doesn't exist, maybe start one!
  • FatPorkyChop
    FatPorkyChop Posts: 83 Member
    You guys are truly inspiring and I mean that...
    When my daughter was 3 months old she would barely sleep and when she would I d be so exhausted that having a shower was already a victory (she would usually sleep on me or in her pral while rocking her) I completely lost ground, put on 7 kilos and it was messy until she was 6 months old.... I then started to go back at the gym on and off and finally when she started to sleep through the night at 8 months old I was able to train on a regular basis.... it took 8 months to loose it all....
    Hands down for those incredible mums !
  • marvelfe31
    When my daughter was 3 months old she would barely sleep and when she would I d be so exhausted that having a shower was already a victory (she would usually sleep on me or in her pral while rocking her) I completely lost ground, put on 7 kilos and it was messy until she was 6 months old.... I then started to go back at the gym on and off and finally when she started to sleep through the night at 8 months old I was able to train on a regular basis.... it took 8 months to loose it all....

I was definitely like this in the past. This is my fourth baby so the lack of sleep doesn't bother me the way it used to. I think I'm used to it. I have been quite overweight the last few years and right before I got pregnant I lost about 45lbs. Then after I got pregnant I gained it all back and then some. So I feel like if I don't do something now, I never will. Always listen to your body though. I feel good and energized so I workout but if you are sleep deprived and aren't up for it, it's never good to push it.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member

This is me now. Oh well. I'll just enjoy her while she's little and soon enough I'll get back to the gym. This stage in life goes by so quickly.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    My wife and I both work and have 3 kids (3, 6, and 9), but we just manage time. She gets up at 3:45am or hit a TRX class. I stay after work to hit the gym later. Now that the kids are getting older we are getting them more involved beyond the basic calisthenics and into some more advanced stuff.