steps to becoming a vegan.

Options
Hi. I love myfitnesspal! I lost 40 lbs using this app. I made some major changes in my life that brought stress and weight. So now im back and i will remain a myfitness girl. I am considering living a vegan life for health reasons. Is there any vegans here that can give me some advice on transitioning?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    rbarnes0 wrote: »
    Hi. I love myfitnesspal! I lost 40 lbs using this app. I made some major changes in my life that brought stress and weight. So now im back and i will remain a myfitness girl. I am considering living a vegan life for health reasons. Is there any vegans here that can give me some advice on transitioning?

Vegan ins't necessarily healthier. I think the major steps to transitioning to a vegan lifestyle are:

-Start adding more plant based products in general
    -Learn what foods you will need to add in to make up for things you'll be missing out on by cutting meat (protein, iron, calcium, b12, vitamin D, iodine).
    -Follow up with your doctor at regular intervals for blood work (all people should do this anyway).

ETA: There are many foods out there that may seem to be vegan, but are not. If you really want to be vegan it could take research. You could just go vegetarian and not eat obvious foods with animal products/byproducts.
  • Vegansuperman
    Vegansuperman Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Being a healthy vegan is easier then most think. There are lots of amazing transition foods and recipes out there. Especially if you live near a Whole Foods Market. What helped me was dropping all red meat, dairy and eggs from my diet for two weeks while finding some good Whole Foods to replace them such as kidney beans, quinua, variety of veggies, non gmo organic soy products. Tofutukey has some great products! Then slowly cutting out on chicken and fish while increasing vegetable intake. As the weeks passed I felt amazing. Never bloated, full of energy, and digestion was off the charts. Message me if you have any questions.

PS I am a grown man who never lost ANY gains or strength while transitioning. Do not worry about protein consumption. If you eat clean and enough calories you will get enough protein.
  • limabeanzz
    limabeanzz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am not a strict vegan but I have a vegetable garden at home. So I always eat home grown vegetables. You don't necessarily have to be a vegan to be healthy. Just moderate the amount of food that you eat daily.This would help.
  • lalajka
    lalajka Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for 3.5 years and I've never been healthier, even though I do indulge in vegan junk food. I just try to keep it within my calorie limit. It's true, it is easy to be vegan, but sometimes people find it hard to drop meat and cheese all at once, so maybe get some mock meat and vegan cheese to help you transition. You can also join this group and we'll help you with any questions you may have:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/45-happy-herbivores

Good luck!
  • ahrengirl
    ahrengirl Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I went from eating pepperonis to vegan overnight! I newer vegan having just converted at New Year's and I haven't looked back. My lifestyle is very challenging to be vegan so I'd like to encourage everyone that they can do it. I travel every week for work and have client dinners out all the time at places I do not pick. I estimate that 90% of my meals are in resturants.

How did I go cold turkey? I've been doing a ton of research. While going through cancer treatment, she suffered a mild heart attack (she is well now). I read a number of books on eating for heart disease: Dr. McDougall, Dr. Fuhrman, and Dr. Esselstyn. They all promote a variation of a vegan diet and counter the myths that surround veganism (protein defiance... to name one). Then since I did not know a vegan, I did more research watching movies, YouTube videos and networking with vegans on MFP. My favorite movies are Cowspiracy, Vegucated, and Forks Over Knives. On YouTube I watch a bunch of "what I eat in a day" videos to get ideas on food.

It's been over 90 days with 45+ stays in hotels. I first converted for health but humanity and the environment are keeping me here. My last lipids panel shows that 20 dropped my cholesterol by 50 points, plus my HDL by 20% and my triglycerides almost in half. I also realize that it is okay to ask for healthier meal options.

Good luck!
  • crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    What health reasons are you referring to? I'm transitioning to a whole foods, pescetarian woe because I think it's a healthy, nutrient dense way to eat (and I'm really enjoying it), but everything I've researched on a complete animal free diet hasn't shown me that it would be better for my health. I've been doing a lot of reading on the 'Blue Zones', especially the one zone in the U.S. (the SDAs in Loma Linda, CA), and while the group studied had notable outcomes in terms of better health and longevity of life, those who included fish lived even longer. I'm working towards a diet that has a daily base of 800g-900g of vegetables and fruit, and then daily whole grains, fish 4-5 times a week, beans and nuts several times a week etc. Plus a small amount of dairy, (cheese and butter) and eggs. And then a smaller amount of things like coffee, diet soda, ice cream, beer and Fritos :#

If you're considering becoming a vegan for ethical reasons I totally respect that! But, I'm not convinced an animal/animal product free diet is any healthier than one that includes some animal products, especially fish.

edit: grammar and stuff
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Step 1. Stop eating animal products.

I've been vegan for twelve years, it's really that simple. You can friend me, I have an open diary for friends.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    tapwaters wrote: »

I've been vegan for twelve years, it's really that simple. You can friend me, I have an open diary for friends.

Your step one is accurate, but I would also add a step 2: stop using animal products (in things like health and beauty products, clothing, etc).
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    Options

Your step one is accurate, but I would also add a step 2: stop using animal products (in things like health and beauty products, clothing, etc).

Agree.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating dairy and meat for a month to combat cholesterol issues. That was over 2 years ago! I said to myself that I could have fish and cheese once a month, but eventually just forgot to have them. It's actually much easier than you might expect. There are lots of great books and movies out there now. As for structuring your diet? I found "Vegan for Her" to be absolutely excellent. Can't remember who it's by and it's relevant for anyone, not just women. Also, How Not to Die is great. You have to do some planning beforehand, but really, that's not unique to switching to no animal products. I also didn't tell anyone I was going to do it - you might get a bunch of unhelpful comments/opinions which can be distracting. Just do your own thing. I don't regret it for one second and DH joined me a year ago. My cholesterol issues and his blood pressure issues were resolved in weeks.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I feel like veganism isn't mostly about health, but more about morals. Almost like a religion, but I'm not arguing semantics. If you want to go plant-based check out some of the better recipe sites like Oh She Glows, Thug Kitchen, and Minimalist Baker.
  • crazyycatlady1
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I stopped eating dairy and meat for a month to combat cholesterol issues. That was over 2 years ago! I said to myself that I could have fish and cheese once a month, but eventually just forgot to have them. It's actually much easier than you might expect. There are lots of great books and movies out there now. As for structuring your diet? I found "Vegan for Her" to be absolutely excellent. Can't remember who it's by and it's relevant for anyone, not just women. Also, How Not to Die is great. You have to do some planning beforehand, but really, that's not unique to switching to no animal products. I also didn't tell anyone I was going to do it - you might get a bunch of unhelpful comments/opinions which can be distracting. Just do your own thing. I don't regret it for one second and DH joined me a year ago. My cholesterol issues and his blood pressure issues were resolved in weeks.

Gina Messina is the author, I've read her books and think she's solid :) However, if I remember correctly I think she states at the beginning of Vegan for Her that a vegan diet isn't necessarily any healthier than one that includes animal products. Also from her website-
    'The truth is way less dramatic. There is no body of evidence to suggest that you have to be vegan in order to be healthy. The evidence does not suggest that every disease in the world is reversible with a low-fat, whole foods plant-based diet. And, yes, it is possible to fall short of nutrients on a vegan diet if you aren’t paying attention to food choices.'
    http://www.theveganrd.com/2017/04/science-matters-for-vegans-and-everyone-else.html

edit: grammar
  • janejellyroll
    Options

"Vegan for Her" by Virginia Messina is an excellent resource. She also co-authored "Vegan for Life" with Jack Norris (another vegan RD), a more general guide to vegan nutrition that is fantastic.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    rbarnes0 wrote: »

Vegan ins't necessarily healthier. I think the major steps to transitioning to a vegan lifestyle are:

-Start adding more plant based products in general
    -Learn what foods you will need to add in to make up for things you'll be missing out on by cutting meat (protein, iron, calcium, b12, vitamin D, iodine).
    -Follow up with your doctor at regular intervals for blood work (all people should do this anyway).

ETA: There are many foods out there that may seem to be vegan, but are not. If you really want to be vegan it could take research. You could just go vegetarian and not eat obvious foods with animal products/byproducts.

adding to the list "tell everyone"
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options

Gina Messina is the author, I've read her books and think she's solid :) However, if I remember correctly I think she states at the beginning of Vegan for Her that a vegan diet isn't necessarily any healthier than one that includes animal products. Also from her website-
    'The truth is way less dramatic. There is no body of evidence to suggest that you have to be vegan in order to be healthy. The evidence does not suggest that every disease in the world is reversible with a low-fat, whole foods plant-based diet. And, yes, it is possible to fall short of nutrients on a vegan diet if you aren’t paying attention to food choices.'
    http://www.theveganrd.com/2017/04/science-matters-for-vegans-and-everyone-else.html

edit: grammar

I'd agree with her, although much of the problem with no body of evidence is that there has been no funding for research into it rather than it's not true. I do know that for me it is absolutely the best way to eat. That doesn't mean that it's going to be the case for everyone, but you'll only know if you try. I did it for health reasons to start, but it does become difficult to ignore the environmental/animal compassion reasons as well, so I feel healthier in my body and in my soul too.
  • crazyycatlady1
    Options

"Vegan for Her" by Virginia Messina is an excellent resource. She also co-authored "Vegan for Life" with Jack Norris (another vegan RD), a more general guide to vegan nutrition that is fantastic.

It looks like she also has a new book coming out soon, need to add it to my Goodreads 'to read' list :)
  • janejellyroll
    Options

It looks like she also has a new book coming out soon, need to add it to my Goodreads 'to read' list :)

It sounds like her new book will be specifically addressing myths about veganism being a magical path or guarantee to good health and how this can harm vegans -- really excited to read it!
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    If you are fond of meats and cheeses, I would recommend that you get three things onto your shelves: nutritional yeast, virgin coconut oil, and Daiya shredded "cheese." One of the most important nutritional aspects of being a vegetarian or a vegan, is getting enough of vitamin B 12. It is essential for your sense of well-being and is only found in animal products. Nutritional yeast is packed, and a very small amount each day will give you all the B 12 you need. If you've never eaten nutritional yeast, it can be off putting when you buy it. Some people think it smells like medicine. Put it on your next batch of popcorn. It is cheesy yummy. You will never eat popcorn without it again. You can also use it to make gravy – like foods that are very umami. I think nutritional yeast gravy tastes very much like chicken or pork gravy. You can also add it to things that you want to taste kind of meaty.
    Virgin coconut oil, besides just being massively fabulous, also lends a heartier flavor to many things. I use it when I make refried beans and it somewhat mimics the flavor of lard.
    Daiya is the only really good vegan cheese substitute out there. It melts, it stretches. It is good for making things like mac & cheese, or pizza, or enchiladas.
    You will also find that crimini mushrooms sautéed nicely, have a very hearty, meaty flavor and texture to them.
    As for cookbooks, I'm very old-school about this, and very much recommend "The Farm Vegetarian Cookbook." The Farm is an intentional hippie community that was started, oh geez, 40 years ago? Maybe more. In Tennessee. The cookbook is titled that it is vegetarian, but the recipes are vegan. At the other end of the spectrum, I really love "Vegan Brunch." Her vegan omelettes, and red flannel hash are freaking amazing.
    OK now for true confessions: I am not a vegan, but I was a serious vegetarian for about 10 years and discovered that my body simply does not do well without animal protein. But when my husband was getting cancer treatment a few years ago, he went vegan for a couple of years and it was easy for me to accommodate him because I knew a lot about strict vegetarianism.
    I wish you good luck with this! Listen to your body and see if it works for you.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    That's what i was going to say!

Eating a vegan diet is really that easy. To be a HEALTHY vegan, remember to focus on fruits and vegetables. Make sure you eat plenty of both daily.