Help! I'm not losing!

Options
I am tracking everything! Eating under1200 calories that is recommended for me to reach my goal weight. I exercise 45 to one hour on an elliptical daily. Work out on a Simply Fit Board (twist and planks and other exercises daily) I clean for a living, so that keeps me active for a solid 6 hours a day (no breaks). What am I doing wrong??? It had been 15 days and not even a loss of a 1/2 pound!!

Replies

• hlizard1
    hlizard1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am to be eating 1200 calories a day I eat 1185 one day 1215 another day 1205 , 1180, 1175... and so on. I am measuring everything ... correctly solids, liguids. I am 5 foot tall and need to lose 25 lbs.
  • jessicalwakeling
    jessicalwakeling Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You need to be eating MORE considering the amount of exercise you are doing. You need to eat back some of those exercise calories or your body will think you're starving and the weight won't shift

Try increasing to 1500 for a week and see how you go
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Did you just start your 1200 calorie plan? Or it's been a while?
    Many people will say when you eat very little calories you don't lose, something about the body going on starvation mode...That might only true if you have doing it for a while.
    Anytime you are, or create, or increase your calorie deficit, you will lose weight. End of the story.
    The fact that you are not losing means you are not on a deficit.
  • hlizard1
    hlizard1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You need to be eating MORE considering the amount of exercise you are doing. You need to eat back some of those exercise calories or your body will think you're starving and the weight won't shift

Oops...thanks for the info... I am going to try that. I really appreciate your help!
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    hlizard1 wrote: »

Oops...thanks for the info... I am going to try that. I really appreciate your help!

@hlizard1... Your body doesn't go in to starvation mode - if it did, how do you explain people suffering with anorexia, or prisoners of war who were starved? Do/did these people remain fat? Please dont listen to this advice.

People tend to choose the easiest way/advice.
    Oh yes, I have to eat more to lose weight. Awesome!
  • EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    true... be able to eat as much as you can and still reach your goal
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    To start with it is early days. Give it time.

Like me you are on the short side and don't have a huge amount to lose. Your TDEE without additional exercise is probably not much more than 1400 which means quick weight loss while eating at the minimum of 1200 will be slow. Try and work out how many calories you burn with the elliptical with your 45 minutes daily and eat half of that back but no more. If you have your daily activity set as lightly active or active it won't take you over the 1200 but this daily activity with cleaning will be included.

Lastly make sure you weight all solids and measure all liquids with measuring cups/spoons. If you don't have digital kitchen scales invest in some. Us shorties don't have the luxury of too many errors as our deficit is quite small to begin with.

Good luck.
  • youdoyou2016
    youdoyou2016 Posts: 393 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    There is no such thing as "starvation mode." You also do not have to eat back exercise calories. In fact, how do you know you are measuring them accurately? MFP's numbers are not accurate and often too generous. And the numbers exercise machines give you are also not accurate / calibrated.

Two things to consider: try using a food scale -- it's more accurate than measuring cups, for example. The other thing: it sounds like you've just added in new exercise? If so: it's usual for the scale to go up or stay the same for a while until you get into the groove of it. (Muscles will retain more water than usual in the beginning of a program. If this is the case, soon you'll get rid of that water and notice the scale go down.)
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    What is your starting weight?
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I think you're eating more than you think I know you made a goal of eating less than 1200 calories (which wasn't a good idea); however, since you're probably going by food labels (which does underestimate calories) you're eating more than you think. Since you want to only lose 25 pounds update your information on MFP to state you want to lose 0.5 pounds and eat at the caloric intake provided.

I agree with the others users who mentioned buying a food scale would be a good idea (measuring cup for liquids and the scale for solid food). Use the scale on a consistent basis. Start tracking your workout routine and try to eat back at least half of it. Let us know how things go.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    1200 is low, but not terribly low. It really depends on the individual and their individual goals. Can you give us an example day including food weights, please?

Starvation mode does not exist, otherwise this chap who went on a medically supervised fast of 382 days WITHOUT eating, would not have been possible - and lost 175lb.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2495396/

You'd also need the organs in the body to initiate a starvation mode - which ones would do this please? Answer? This is none, even the thyroid only retards the metabolism by around 15%.
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

@hlizard1... Your body doesn't go in to starvation mode - if it did, how do you explain people suffering with anorexia, or prisoners of war who were starved? Do/did these people remain fat? Please dont listen to this advice.

Starvation mode is actually a real thing, but most people don't understand how it works. Those with 20 - 40 lbs to lose should not eat 1200 calories a day. It is likely the OP is carrying water weight due to an increase in activity and is actually losing body mass (mostly lean body mass, because the body is chasing those easy to get stores of energy, because it doesn't have enough energy to go after the fat).

Does anyone here who doubts the existence of starvation mode want the OP to *keep* eating 1200 a day? Because that seems to be what you're arguing. I don't agree. Starvation mode doesn't mean you stop losing weight (although your metabolism will eventually slow down to compensate, so in time, yes). It means the body starts to consume itself, usually everything *but* the fat cells. Anorexics get brittle bones, lose all muscle mass, and can even suffer from brain damage as they try desperately to get rid of an inch of fat on their stomachs. But, yes, that fat does go away eventually, but at what cost?

So, to the OP, eat 1500 calories a day instead, at least. Don't torture yourself. Add weight lifting to your exercise regime. Try different activities, jogging, walking, jump rope, cycling, swimming (if possible). Eat good fats, protein, and don't eat at such a deficit that you feel strapped of energy and grumpy all day. Eat for energy during the day. Eat to feel satisfied (lightly full) once your day has ended. Stick with it. It's normal to have weeks of no weight loss. Bloating, etc, can cause that.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Agreed with starvation mode being a myth.

OP, get a food scale, start weighing everything that isn't a liquid (yes, weigh mayo/butter/nut butter), and use those cups/spoons for liquid only. Weight go prepackaged/preweighed items, too (they can technically be as much as 20% over or under the stated weight on the packaging). Log everything that you cook with, eat and drink. And, eat at the 1200 cal mark. With your stats, you could stand to eat a bit more and still lose the weight.
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    What is your starting weight? If your smaller, it's a little harder to lose weight. Perseverance is key.