Bookworms Assemble!

Options
BilliePanda7
BilliePanda7 Posts: 4 Member
Any bookworms here?
I love to read and always looking for book recommendations, read all sorts of genres. I'd love to know what you find particularly brilliant, I'm reading the fault in our stars atm and its so much better than the film, normally the case though I suppose, also any good books made into films you were disappointed with, I read and loved the girl on the train book, but the film was shockingly awful, I never made it past half way because it was ridiculous, why must they destroy our mental image with such on screen disasters?

Replies

• avadahm
    avadahm Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm a nonfiction girl, myself. Right now I'm reading "The Omnivores Dilemma" and I can't wait to browse the bookstore for my next nonfiction piece.

What's great about reading is that your interpretation will be totally different than mine or anyone else's. That's why movies aren't ever as good as the book.
  • bigmanatee
    bigmanatee Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Reading the harry bosch series. Also listened to an audio book in the series which was cool bc the guy who plays bosch on the tv series provided the audio.
  • IVMay
    IVMay Posts: 442 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Yes but mostly non-fiction. Avid reader on WWI, WWII and anything Third Reich related.
    Also 17th, 18th and 19th Century France.

True crime; and spy novels if I had to pick fiction. Not a fan of that James Bond type stuff, though; prefer something with a bit more of a political bite.
  • Staceygram
    Staceygram Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I read almost anything. Light reads include Terryville Brooks Magic Kingdom of Landover series or Lillian Jackson Braun The Cat Who Series. I'm rereading both right now so they pop to mind first.
  • BilliePanda7
    BilliePanda7 Posts: 4 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Thank you all for replying, wasn't sure I would get any lol, I am new to the app really and not sure how to get a notification for it, so I apologize for my delayed response. All of your suggestions I have popped in my diary, to remind me to scour the internet for them later today. I've just got the Jaycee duggan book about her life, and I'm saving it for when I'm ready to scribe along side it, as I can't help myself when it comes to nonfiction, I have to work out my own theory's and intensely critique all the information, so I can come up with a review of the whole thing. Not that I share my reviews, purely for self interest lol
    Have finished fault in our stars, had me booing from chapter 21 onwards, because I just knew bad things was gonna go down! I absolutely love it when a book can spark pure emotion in its reader, the author has captured death in a way in which we shouldn't be afraid of, and it turned me into a puddle.
    Currently half way through My Sisters Keeper by Jodi Piccoult, and I'm enjoying the specific character chapters, it's interesting so far but we shall see.
    Has anyone read the book about/by the investigator in the Maddie McCann case? I am looking forward to reading that also after Jaycee Duggan. I feel I will need a lot more than a note pad to cross examine that particular case.
    Sorry for being a boring bugger lol
    Much appreciate your suggestions and I look forward to commenting back with my thoughts sometime soon.
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,348 Member
    Options
    Currently reading Jennifer Weiner's Then Came You.

I read nearly anything except bodice rippers and westerns. Not fond of super graphic violence...once upon a time liked John Saul but eventually his books had too much graphic violence against children for me. Really like sci-fi/fantasy and decent mysteries. Really like JD Robb (despite the graphic violence). Like historicals--Jacqueline Winespear is pretty good. Someone mentioned Jodi Picoult...she's pretty awesome.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,506 Member
    Options
    right now:

23209924.jpg
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I only read books with pictures. Does this count? :lol:
  • GymRatSF
    GymRatSF Posts: 8,903 Member
    Options
    Big book nerd here. Only read non-fiction. Right now reading Dark Shadows Falling by Joe Simpson (book about mountain climbing).
  • browneyedgirl749
    browneyedgirl749 Posts: 4,984 Member
    Options
    I read all different types of books. Just depends on what grabs my attention after I finish one. Right now, I am reading the Black Dagger Brotherhood series by J.R. Ward. There are a lot of books in this series. I sometimes need an escape from reality by reading about fictional stuff.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I read pretty much anything I can get my hands on - thank goodness I have a good library system by me

right now I'm reading:
    Evited - Matthew Desmond - set in milkaukee and an ethnographic study of folks who live below the poverty line
    One Night with the Duke - Amelia Grey - historical romance

in the car, I'm listening to Eighteen - J.A. Hull (new adult romance)
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Fiction, crime/thrillers mostly, but any genre of fiction. I need to escape from reality, so not much interest in non-fiction.

I agree that seldom are movies better than the book. So much more detail in the written word.

Right now I am reading "The Redeemer" by Jo Nesbo, Harry Hole series. I am kind of hooked on the Scandinavian writers right now. The Millennium series got me hooked on Scandinavian writers.

So far, some good suggestions on this thread, thanks everyone. So many books, so little time.
  • alida1walsh
    alida1walsh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Two books I've read recently and loved are Alone in Berlin and Jasper Jones (both of which are now movies) . The latter is an Australian novel so you may not have it where you are. The former is based on actual Court records from Nazi Germany but very fatalistic.

The Chemist by Stephanie Meyer is quite a gripping read if you like a good government conspiracy/Jason Bourne style manhunt.

My husband loved Game of Thrones but it hasn't really grabbed me.

I also love stealing books from my kids. Though I always have loved books for younger readers, especially with dystopian plots. I feverishly awaited each instalment of the Harry Potter series. The Divergent series isn't bad and has since made it onto the big screen. I'm just getting into the Hunger Games series and my kids assure me it is brilliant. Of course, they were only 9 when they read it.

I enjoyed Jodi Piccoult's My Sister's Keeper but disappointed why they needed to change the ending for the film.
  • fitzmonkey13
    fitzmonkey13 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    @Motorsheen I loved The Water Knife. It stuck with me for days and I still occasionally think about it when I have a shower or fill up my kettle.

el6wyxfhzhl7.jpg
    I highly recommend Station Eleven. Without giving spoilers, it's a vaguely post-apocalyptic story about a troupe of travelling actors and musicians.

kxm4w0h8zfaw.jpg
    If you are looking for something lighter, the Bobiverse will provide. It's seriously goofy sci-fi with a whole lotta pop culture references. And the second one was just released, so I'll be starting that later today.
  • LittleHearseDriver
    LittleHearseDriver Posts: 2,677 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I read a little bit of everything.

Paranormal: Darkfever Series by Karen Marie Moning
    Thriller: You by Caroline Kepnes
    Chick Lit: Playing For Keeps by R.L. Mathewson
    Historical: Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
    Coming of Age: A Painted House by John Grisham
    Western: Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry
  • KVaill
    KVaill Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Paper Towns was good, much like Fault in our Stars. I liked the Divergent series too.

The Harry Bosch series of books are good, I love Michael Connelly. He does the Lincoln Lawyer series too, also very good.

Harlen Coben is another great author. Crime/thriller/mystery genre.

The Book Thief was great, and written from the perspective of Death, which was really interesting!

John Irving is another great author, I've enjoyed all his books.

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood is a great one, very on point for the times! It's being made into a TV series on HBO at the end of the month.

If you like non-fiction/biographies, Angela's Ashes & 'Tis by Frank McCourt are really good. It's the life story of an Irish writer, coming to America. Very very good!
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Two books I've read recently and loved are Alone in Berlin and Jasper Jones (both of which are now movies) . The latter is an Australian novel so you may not have it where you are. The former is based on actual Court records from Nazi Germany but very fatalistic.

The Chemist by Stephanie Meyer is quite a gripping read if you like a good government conspiracy/Jason Bourne style manhunt.

My husband loved Game of Thrones but it hasn't really grabbed me.

I also love stealing books from my kids. Though I always have loved books for younger readers, especially with dystopian plots. I feverishly awaited each instalment of the Harry Potter series. The Divergent series isn't bad and has since made it onto the big screen. I'm just getting into the Hunger Games series and my kids assure me it is brilliant. Of course, they were only 9 when they read it.

I enjoyed Jodi Piccoult's My Sister's Keeper but disappointed why they needed to change the ending for the film.

I read the Hunger Games trilogy before the movies came out. I think it is one of the best series in this genre. I liked it better than the Divergent series, but enjoyed this series as well.

I really like most Jodi Piccoult. Saw "My Sister's Keeper" when the movie came out, after I read the book. I was kind of glad they changed the ending, as it was a real tear jerker, but would have been even more so if the ending were the same as the book. My sister & my daughter were with me at the movie after having both read the book as well, and agreed with me.